My Norinco does not lock open on empty mag (or at least some)

PDA

Min
September 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
There are some empty mags that will lock the slide back, and some that won't. My Taurus PT1911 will lock the slide back on all the empty mags I have.

Could someone tell me what the problem is?

If you enjoyed reading about "My Norinco does not lock open on empty mag (or at least some)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
woad_yurt
September 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
What type of Norinco?

Min
September 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
It's a Norinco 1911.

dmazur
September 7, 2008, 12:24 PM
Can be a lot of things, IMO -

1. Check slide lock for dimensions. Maybe compare it to the PT1911. The "bump" on the inside has to engage the magazine follower for the slide to lock back. If it's a little shorter than the PT1911, that could be the cause.

2. Check for magazine "fit" in the magazine well. If it rattles, there will be inconsistent engagement of the slide lock and magazine follower. Magazines should not have a lot of free play, but they shouldn't bind either.

3. Check magazines for consistency of follower dimensions. The PT1911 functioning with all pretty much rules this out, but it doesn't hurt to check. Some 1911's don't like "trick followers" that are used to get 8 rd capacity out of a 7 rd magazine tube.

4. Check recoil spring. If it's too strong, the slide may not be going back all the way. If you have no other problems, like occasional failure to pick up the next round, the recoil spring is probably OK.

5. Check hammer and mainspring for smooth travel. If this mechanism binds at all, it's going to affect how the slide goes back similar to a recoil spring issue.

Min
September 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think it's the ejector.

The recoil spring is new and 18.5#, as recommended by the gunsmith who installed it for me.

Deanimator
September 7, 2008, 12:31 PM
What kind of magazines? Good ones like Wilson or Mecgar or something you found in a bin at the gunshow?

Are you using the factory slide stop?

If it does it with good quality name brand magazines and you're using the slide stop that came with the gun, it's entirely possible that the slide stop is out of spec or worn. Replace the slide stop with a name brand component. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one on-line at Midway, Brownell's or Dillon to name just three.

I've got a Norinco M1911. While the major components (frame, slide, barrel) are first rate, I've found the minor parts to be of dubious quality. The leaf spring on mine was bare metal and bright red with rust. The first time I cleaned it, the cheap polystyrene(?) grips melted and stuck to my hand.

Fundamentally, it's a good gun. You just need to spend a little money to bring that out. You'll probably spend way less than the difference in cost between the Norinco and a more expensive gun, and you'll have an accurate, reliable gun to show for it.

woad_yurt
September 7, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, a .45. I thought it might've been a 54 or 213; I could've maybe helped. I know nothing about 1911s. Lots of folks here do, however, and they should get you back on track. Good luck.

Min
September 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
by the way I have Mec-Gar mags, Chip McCormick, and the Taurus factory mags

dmazur
September 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think it's the ejector.

Unless the ejector is binding on the slide, it generally doesn't have anything to do with the slide locking process. Does the ejector have "wear marks" on its sides?

The Chip McCormick magazines have the V-shaped follower that I was referring to as "trick". Some 1911's like these, and some don't. In one of mine, the follower didn't track true in the magazine and it wouldn't lock the slide back reliably. Stock followers did, but the V-shaped ones didn't. I eventually gave up on standard length magazines modified to hold 8 rds and converted them all to 7 rd magazines with Pachmyer followers (stock slide lock engagement lip, rounded profile.)

Modern 8 rd magazine designs are a little different (typically just a little longer) and generally don't have problems.

Deanimator
September 7, 2008, 03:48 PM
by the way I have Mec-Gar mags, Chip McCormick, and the Taurus factory mags
Replace the slide stop.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Norinco does not lock open on empty mag (or at least some)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!