5 rnds +p or 6rnds standard

PDA

un_lucky
September 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
I see there is a new Taurus revolver out. It's the same size as the model 85 and holds 6 rounds of 38 instead of 5. Cool, but its rated for standard pressure only (at least in the light wieght version).

If you enjoyed reading about "5 rnds +p or 6rnds standard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skoro
September 7, 2008, 04:49 PM
Taurus?

If I wanted 5 shots, I'd go for a S&W J frame.

If I wanted 6, I'd get a Colt Det Special. ;)

19-3Ben
September 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ummm....website says +p. (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=856B2&category=Revolver&id=615)

edit to add:

Unless you meant the 856, magnesium model. I don't see +p for that. but i think Taurus makes a big deal that all their .38's are +p rated.

un_lucky
September 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
I was referring to the 856. The one on the cover of G&A Mag.

calaverasslim
September 7, 2008, 05:24 PM
decisions, decisions, decisions. HUMMMMMM Peashooter or not to peashooter.:D:D:D:D:D

Truthfully, I had a very similar decision to make several years ago and ended up with a 3" 44 special and am much happier. Both loaded are about the same weight.

It is true that they have come out with lighter metals since then, but I still prefer the 44 special with Winchester 200gr Silver Tip HP's or Speer 200gr GDHP.

But if you feel that you must stay with the 38 for whatever reason, I strongly recommend either the S&W or the Colt.

Good luck.:D

weisse52
September 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
Taurus?

If I wanted 6, I'd get a Colt Det Special.

Yeah, what he said.

Schmidlin
September 7, 2008, 05:48 PM
well for that extra 300 bucks he wont have to spend on the gun he could get some Crimson trace grips and some ammo.........

kcshooter
September 7, 2008, 07:27 PM

If I wanted 6, I'd get a Colt Det Special.Way to add something to the conversation.

That said, I've never had an issue with my Taurus 651. I've never felt the difference between 5 and 6 rounds is really a deal breaker, either. In a snubby, the +p isn't going to make enough of a difference to worry about. Given the choice, as long as they are the same size, I'd go for the extra round.

By the way, I know a lady who's had two S&W j-frames lock up drum tight on her. My "sub-par" Taurus hasn't ever had a single issue after burning thru about 2000 rounds. While I understand there are a few Taurus autoloaders with repetitive issues, I still have yet to see compeling evidence that the revolvers are so much more problem prone than the others.

Gary A
September 7, 2008, 08:15 PM
Wow, I'm really at a disadvantage having the worst of both worlds. I rely on a Smith and Wesson model 37-2 which is a five shooter not rated for +P. I ain't worried about it. Still better than a sub-compact .380 IMO. Even if I had to stuff some +P in it, it ain't gonna blow up, though I don't expect it would last real long shooting them regularly. Just based on ammo availability, I'd probably pick the +P 5-shooter.

sm
September 7, 2008, 08:33 PM
I voted 6 rounds of Standard Pressure.

Being honest, I prefer Standard Pressure loadings anyway, and how many rounds the gun holds, makes no difference, nor does if the gun is rated for +P or not.

S&W, Colt and other dedicated .38spls are set up to shoot 158 gr and 148 gr with the sights and I prefer projectiles going where aimed, and doing so as quickly and effectively as can.

Hence the reason I like dedicated .38spls.
If I need more punch, I prefer standard pressure in a .357 gun or standard pressure in a .44 spl gun.

So If I am going to carry a snub nose .357, then I am going to load it with it .357s of standard pressure, and spend the trigger time to have that gun and loadings be an extension of me, affording me quick effective hits.
.357s are more accurate out of .357s than .38spls.

My Perspective:
Standard Pressure and Shot Placement .

It is not round count, or what kind of rounds, it is quick effective hits and as Clint Smith says: "Knowing how to run the gun you have".

Steve

FLA2760
September 7, 2008, 08:33 PM
Is Taurus going to be coming out with a small frame snubby in .327? I heard that they might.
To the original poster I would go with the 6 shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "5 rnds +p or 6rnds standard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!