Flash Suppressor Questions for 14.5" Upper

PDA

Joe Link
September 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm purchasing a complete Colt SOCOM 14.5" upper tomorrow and I don't want to go through the NFA stuff, so I'm going to have to have a flash suppressor permanently attached. I've been reading quite a bit and it seems to come down to either a Vortex or a Phantom, but I'd like some opinions on which is better overall. Is the Vortex even long enough to make the rifle legal? Also, say I get it permanently attached, then I want to buy a can down the road. Would a smith be able to remove the flash suppressor without damaging anything? I appreciate your input ;)

Also, do you think $650 is a good deal for that upper?

If you enjoyed reading about "Flash Suppressor Questions for 14.5" Upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTapDrew
September 7, 2008, 04:41 PM
I think to be NFA legal it has to be attached with silver solder of blind-pinned. I believe it's a royal pain to get them off (which is why the ATF wants it done that way). Both should be long enough. If you want a can later you could get YHM's fast-attach phantom that is made for attaching their cans. It would limit you to a YHM can though.
I have heard that the tines on the vortex can spread over time which really irked people who had them permantely attached, but I haven't tried one myself so that's just hearsay.

wcwhitey
September 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have the Bushmaster Shorty AK, 14.5 with an AK brake permanently attached to make it 16". I will say that the AK does a nice job with recoil albeit a bit loud. Maybe not the best flash hider but it is worth consideration. Bill

Joe Link
September 7, 2008, 10:03 PM
Ah yeah, I don't want to lock myself into a particular brand or anything. The chances I could afford a suppressor anytime soon are very slim anyway. Any other suggestions on which flash hider?

RockyMtnTactical
September 8, 2008, 12:19 AM
Phantom is my preference between the two.

tsidorus
September 8, 2008, 01:53 AM
vltor makes one long enough too...

HisDivineShadow
September 8, 2008, 05:02 AM
VLTOR or Vortex are my choices. Got a Vortex for a .22lr AR-15 to get it longer, ofcourse in Finland I don't need to have it permanently attached. I've heard the phantom flash hiders wear down quickly.

SimpleIsGood229
September 8, 2008, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah, just rub it right in, why don't ya! ;)

GunNut
September 8, 2008, 09:55 AM
Phantom.

They can be removed later on if you do buy a suppressor. The pinned/welded area would need to be milled down to remove the FH. The FH would be destroyed, but the barrel would be fine.

I permanently mounted a Phantom 5C2 on my 14.5" LMT upper.

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-28-5C2.jpg

jburnett
September 8, 2008, 10:59 AM
Noveske KX3 will put it over 16"... Plus it won't deafen anyone standing to the sides of you. :D Must be either welded (TIG) or BLIND pinned...
-J.Burnett

Joe Link
September 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a Phantom 5C2 last night, unfortunately before I saw the VLTOR (that thing looks great!). Oh well, I got the Phantom for half the cost ($26 shipped) :)

Any comments on my purchase price?

If you enjoyed reading about "Flash Suppressor Questions for 14.5" Upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!