Cycling a lever action rifle upside down...

PDA

IrvJr
September 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have a Winchester 94 Trapper and I love this gun. I've read that it's not possible to cycle a Win 94 upside down. I tried this the other day and the round did not feed properly when the rifle was held upside down.

I was wondering if this was the case with Marlin lever actions. Can they be cycled upside down? Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cycling a lever action rifle upside down..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dagger dog
September 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
You must be gifted, I can't stand on my head long enought to try that:D

kcmarine
September 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hm... I'm not sure, but the fact that the Marlin has a completely closed receiver might make it possible.

brentwal
September 7, 2008, 04:56 PM
It falls out the open top of the receiver on the Winchester.

Asherdan
September 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
Gravity defeats you when it's fully upside down, there's enough space between the the receiver wall and the chamber mouth for the bullet nose to catch. The carrier cradles the cartridge but does not retain it.

I can cycle my 1894 and 1895G on their sides or a little past horizontal.

Cosmoline
September 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
sadly one of the great drawbacks of the 94 is I cannot combine my twin passions of kundalini yoga and hunting.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 7, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cosmo, now that's funny right there! :D :D

jmr40
September 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
Had to find out for myself. Got my levers out of the safe and had no trouble getting either the Winchester or any of my Marlins to cycle held in any direction, including upside down. For that matter all my push feed bolt rifles work fine upside down as well. The idea is to work the action quickly, which is how it should be done anyway.

blkbrd666
September 7, 2008, 06:46 PM
Mine works if you work the lever with deliberation and not slowly.

IrvJr
September 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys. I know it's kinda an absurd question, but I read it on the internet (I think on THR) once and recently decided to try it out to see if it was true. With my Win 94, the carrier will hold the round if the gun is upside down, but the weight of the bullet causes the round to flop in the carrier and point towards the ground and the round is unable to feed into the chamber.

Anyway, I have a .22 lever action and I think the next time I go to the range I'll try and see if I can cycle it upside down. Inquiring minds want to know...

brentwal
September 7, 2008, 08:13 PM
The Savage 99 works upside down:D

dmazur
September 8, 2008, 04:27 AM
Winchester 1895 works upside-down, too. :D

(However, if you operate the lever very, very slowly, the round will fall out.)

batmann
September 8, 2008, 11:28 AM
OK---you know everyone, including me, that has a M94 will be turning it upside down to see if it will cycle!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cycling a lever action rifle upside down..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!