Talk of Vaporware: 30-round 6.5 and 6.8 PMags when the ACR comes out?

PDA

Nolo
September 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
Basically, the title says it all.
Assuming the ACR does hit shelves, do you think Magpul will release 30-round PMags for the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC versions?
I currently know of no full-cap mags for those two calibers, and I think it'd be pretty neat to have 30-rounders in those calibers.
Do you think it'd be too much of a hassle? Would they try and conform to M16-standard MOLLE pouches?

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk of Vaporware: 30-round 6.5 and 6.8 PMags when the ACR comes out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
September 7, 2008, 04:37 PM
"Full-cap" is whatever's convenient for a given gun. 30rds is not magic.

Magpul has previously stated that the required thickness of polymer to make Pmags precludes making them for either 6.5G or 6.8SPC, so I wouldn't expect to see any Pmag in either caliber - ever. I think there are statements by Magpul itself in discussions on AR15.com about this.

mgregg85
September 7, 2008, 05:07 PM
I wish they would make a MINI-14 mag, heard rumors a long time ago about that but they denied it.

Nolo
September 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
Magpul has previously stated that the required thickness of polymer to make Pmags precludes making them for either 6.5G or 6.8SPC, so I wouldn't expect to see any Pmag in either caliber - ever. I think there are statements by Magpul itself in discussions on AR15.com about this.
Really? Wow.
Okay, then, do I have any hope of good 30-round 6.8/6.5 mags?

Z-Michigan
September 7, 2008, 05:31 PM
CProducts and at least one other company (can't remember the name) are making magazines for these calibers of about the same size as GI 30rd mags. I think they hold 26rds of the selected cartridge in either case (apparently 6.5G and 6.8SPC do not interchange magazines).

Nolo
September 7, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think they hold 26rds of the selected cartridge in either case (apparently 6.5G and 6.8SPC do not interchange magazines).
Well, I mean that was kinda the point of my post: there's the 26-rounders, but when will we get 30-rounders?

Taurus44
September 7, 2008, 08:45 PM
They're 25 rounders, but... Do you really need those 5 extra rounds?

I shoot my Grendel prone most of the time so I use the 17 round mags. I've yet to feel shorted by only having 17 rounds per magazine. ;)

HorseSoldier
September 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well, I mean that was kinda the point of my post: there's the 26-rounders, but when will we get 30-rounders?

I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone making them specially for 6.8 Rem SPC or 6.5 Grendel, due to limited interest.

You could probably make a workable higher capacity mag for either caliber by getting some steel 40 rounders (I think a couple different companies make them) and changing out the follower. Not sure what the capacity would be -- probably 35 or 36 rounds, I'd guess.

Number 6
September 7, 2008, 09:37 PM
30 round 6.8 mag.

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BA6830

PercyShelley
September 9, 2008, 05:34 AM
Okay, then, do I have any hope of good 30-round 6.8/6.5 mags?

A good start would be to make the magazine for something other than an AR-15.

everallm
September 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
Magpul are using the same sized bodies for the the 5.56, 6.8 and 6.5.

To add another 2 odd inches to a magazine length would have a significant up front cost to

1. Manufacture new molds
2. Test that the new mags still feed correctly and reliably
3. Source new, slightly longer springs, ditto the test

All of these would have far more limited runs than the current set up so per unit cost would have to rise so it doesn't really make much economic sense.

SimpleIsGood229
September 9, 2008, 04:56 PM
To add another 2 odd inches to a magazine length would have a significant up front cost to

1. Manufacture new molds
2. Test that the new mags still feed correctly and reliably
3. Source new, slightly longer springs, ditto the test
Not to mention that longer mags may not fit all the pre-existing mag pouches and web gear and whatnot.

SimpleIsGood229
September 11, 2008, 12:19 AM
The 30-round 6.8 mag is not vaporware! Barrett makes one. It's steel, to boot.

https://www.barrettrifles.com/store/web/c-54-rifle-magazines.aspx

Kind of Blued
September 11, 2008, 07:24 AM
A good start would be to make the magazine for something other than an AR-15.

A "good start" would be to make the friggin' rifle in question already. :)

PercyShelley
September 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Alright, I'll just fire up my ninety two axis CNC mill here and program it to make me some aluminum receivered, polymer furnitured EM-2s with forward ejection and 3 power ACOGs.

Seriously though, the AR-15 magwell is a serious encumbrance. It would almost be worth making your ideal 6.3-6.8mm "ideal" assault rifle round just a little bit longer than 5.56x45 so that you don't have the temptation to interface with that accursed abomination.

everallm
September 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
Alright, I'll just fire up my ninety two axis CNC mill here and program it to make me some aluminum receivered, polymer furnitured EM-2s with forward ejection and 3 power ACOGs.

Please Sir, could I have one........

ny32182
September 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
This is something that has been thought of by Robinson XCR owners before:

The XCR magwell, while it is compatible with the STANAG mag of course, is also shorter than an AR15 magwell. I presume that this, and the stock interface and recoil spring design are the reason that RA went with their own proprietary lower.

That means that the XCR could potentially accept all AR15 compatible mags, but could also accept its own proprietary mags with more curvature about an inch or so below the feed lips, if such a magazine design proved to be more reliable than one that had to be straight enough to fit all the way into an AR15 magwell. I presume this could potentially be useful for tapered cases like 7.62x39, etc. The Cproducts mags that are being built in conjunction with the 7.62x39 XCR *are* fully compatible with the AR15 magwell and thus the XCR magwell, but I believe this was done to enlarge the market for the mags beyond just XCR x39 owners to anyone with an AR lower.

I'm sure that making proprietary mags for the XCR short magwell wouldn't make financial sense for anyone right now since that market is relatively small, but that gets me wondering about the design of the ACR and SCAR magwells. If they are shorter than an AR magwell as well, and are ever released in the alternate calibers, maybe there would be enough of a combined market for someone to start offering mags with an earlier curve to the body.

Another benefit to the shorter magwell is that more mags drop free easier; ie. my existing 5.56 PMAGs easily drop free from my XCR, but don't from any of my AR15 lowers.

HorseSoldier
September 11, 2008, 10:37 PM
Another benefit to the shorter magwell is that more mags drop free easier; ie. my existing 5.56 PMAGs easily drop free from my XCR, but don't from any of my AR15 lowers.

That's odd. Mine drop free from both my issue M4A1 and my Rock River lower with no issues.

Number 6
September 11, 2008, 11:45 PM

Pmags are made to Colt magwell specs. Some AR-15 manufacturers have magwells that are not to spec. If the magwell is in spec then Pmags should drop free.

rangerruck
September 12, 2008, 01:46 AM
No, becuase the mag, and the spring and the follower all have to work together, and that ammo, would make for a longer, more curved shaped mag, and would proly not work really well....

ny32182
September 12, 2008, 08:34 AM
I've got 5 Pmags, tried in 5 AR lowers (3 LMTs, one rock river, one Bushy), no dropping free or even close to it. New USGI mags drop free from the 3 LMTs that are mine, at least...

As far as I'm concerned, its not the lowers. All the Pmags appear to be from the same production batch.. i.e purchased at the same time and have the same month of manufacture indicated.

I don't rely on mags dropping free to reload anyway; its just been my experience that this is not a sure thing.

PercyShelley
September 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
When were they made? There's a recall out for earlier magazine bodies:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_120&products_id=271

ny32182
September 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't recall the exact date right off hand, but I know it is the month after the recall cutoff.

Edit: 7/07. Yeah, that sounds right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk of Vaporware: 30-round 6.5 and 6.8 PMags when the ACR comes out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!