marlin 1894 guts question

PDA

greyling22
September 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
I've got an older 1894c (357) that I bought off my old gunsmith. he slicked it up etc. I just got my new 1894ss (44mag) and while stripping them both down to clean then and see if I could copy some of the gunsmiths action job I noticed some substantial differences in parts. I don't know if these differences are due to caliber, the safety on the new one (doubtful) or if he had aftermarket parts installed. anybody have any insights?

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin 1894 guts question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
streakr
September 7, 2008, 08:37 PM
No apparent problem based on what I see.

The 357 is an older model probably early 60s based on the "rocker" stop on the side of the carrier. The extra long spring for the ejector is also consistent for that age carbine. You could replace it with a more modern ejector as seen in the 44mag.

The bolt of the modern 44 has more support at the breech while the carrier face shows it is the new design that Marlin introduced a few years ago to reduce the "feed two" problem (aka Marlin cowboy jam).

Hope this helps, streakr

greyling22
September 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
cool. I didn't know if he had aftermarket parts in there I needed to duplicate or not. the extractor is way beefier on the old gun. thanks for the info.

hopefully the stainless 44 will one day run as smooth. thanks to my tinkering under the helpful guidance from the internet forums it is already vastly improved over then stock 1894.

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin 1894 guts question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!