Help with identification

PDA

scienceteacher
September 7, 2008, 09:41 PM
When my father passed away, I inherited his M1. I will post some pics when I get the chance; however, this is what I can tell you now...

It has a Quality Hardware serial number which would indicate it was WWII production - 4,657,xxx (at least from what I have been able to find). Some posts I have seen have said this serial number was assigned to International Harvester, but the weapon has "Quality H. W. C." stamped on the receiver just in front of the sight.

It has a Rock-Ola barrel - the stamp is on the barrel just behind the front sight.

On bottom of the pistol grip there is a P on a circle and a C outside the circle stamped into the stock. The number "112" (?) is painted on the bottom of the pistol grip - though the first 1 is pretty much gone. It really does appear to have had a "1" in front of the "12" that is still visible. There is a "24" stamped on the front of the pistol grip.

The stock has a "10" stamped in the sling recess, and "CAB" stamped on the stock just in front of the recess. Though it is difficult to make out there appears to be a "BA" stamped just above the "CAB".

The sling appears to have the letters "MRT" and below that "MOR" (I can't make out the last letter) and 1?52 (it could be 1952) are stamped on it.

It has Lyman peep sights.

Being new to this type of weapon, I have not tried to remove the receiver assembly yet. I understand there should be a stamp on the receiver assembly.

Any help anyone can provide me with identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

And what may seem to be a really stupid question... If it turns out that this is not a "valuable" collector's rifle, can this rifle be used for any type of hunting or is it going to be primarily self-defense? It shoots good groups (2 inches) at about 50 yards with the peep on it. The caliber would be appropriate for deer (whitetails). I just don't know about the knockdown capability.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with identification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nugilum
September 7, 2008, 11:44 PM
I believe you have a M1 Carbine.

I know there are some M1 Carbine experts floating around here somewhere...

Jim Watson
September 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
It is certainly a US M1 Carbine. I am not an expert nor am I interested in all the minutae of contractors and who used who elses parts when they did not have enough of their own, etc.; or all the cryptic inspectors' marks and reimporters legends. Sorry.

The painted number is likely a rack number for some issuing organization.
I don't know what you mean by "a stamp on the receiver" the action and barrel makers are clearly marked.

Installation of a Lyman sight is a civilian modification. I don't know of a Lyman sight to fit the GI dovetail, so there are probably some superfluous holes that will hurt collector value. Are there other alterations from military configuration?
Show good pictures and somebody will point them out if you are not sure.

I consider the caliber light for deer hunting but it is hotter than a .32-20 which was once thought fairly suitable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with identification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!