Ruger MKIII HUNTER aftermarket parts???

PDA

Gunsby_Blazen
September 7, 2008, 11:40 PM
Well, I just picked up a new pistol last Friday, a Ruger Mark III Hunter with the 5 Ĺ inch barrel. Itís my only .22 handgun and a ton of fun to shoot. I like everything about it except for the fiber optic front sight and the express style rear sight. So, I have been looking around for some pretty good aftermarket sights and cannot find what I am looking for. Any suggestions on who makes some?? Also can anyone give me some aftermarket companies other than Volquartsen that offer various parts for the Ruger MKIII platform?

I would really appreciate the help and or any tips.
-thanks guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MKIII HUNTER aftermarket parts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
September 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have the 6-3/4" version of the Hunter.

As far as sights go, I haven't seen much other than the VQ rear sight (listed for the Mk II, but should work) or the rear sight blades than can be interchanged (Ruger), both are available at Midway. The various front sights for bull bbl Mk II's should also fit.

I put in the VQ sear and trigger (Midway again). The sear was worth every penny, the trigger I could live without. Trigger pull is much cleaner and crisper. The VQ trigger has adjustments, but you can't dial out pre-travel because the trigger won't re-set. I guess the over-travel screw works well.

For a while I had my 1" Millet red dot sight mounted with Ironsighter see through scope rings, that was fun, but I always seeem to end up going back to iron sights.

When I can afford it, I'm getting the VQ rear sight. If you find any good target style front sights, let me know.

mjrodney
September 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
Call Ruger.

They have standard, non-fiber sights available.

Gunsby_Blazen
September 8, 2008, 08:45 PM
alrighty, thanks guys
and Hammer, I will let you know if I come across anything.

onebigelf
September 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
http://zaliznockindustries.com/outdoors.htm

Absolute must have for the Ruger pistols.
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jHazxWXCA

John

brett30030
September 8, 2008, 10:36 PM
one,

that is the coolest thing i've seen for loading!!! You'll destroy your thumb after shooting a 500 round brick. My thumb thanks you.

Gunsby_Blazen
September 8, 2008, 11:56 PM
I think I am going to buy some factory sight parts off of Midway. and also perhaps Volquartsen sear. I reckon that aught to be a good starting point...

Gunsby_Blazen
September 8, 2008, 11:58 PM
by the way, that loader looks like a nifty gadget to get. My thumbs were sore after my first day at the range loading it the regular way. Thanks for sharing that.

tlen
September 9, 2008, 03:02 AM
Oops

tlen
September 9, 2008, 03:05 AM
You might want consider getting a Red Dot scope and forget about the iron sights. Start out with a VQ trigger then sear.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/

Gunsby_Blazen
September 9, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have a Burris FastFire that I plan on putting on it later just for fun. I originally bought the gun to practice using irons. i am a horrible pistol shooter and i cant shoot my 1911 worth crap. So I got the mkiii to practice with because 22 is a lot cheaper than 45. and... it gave me an excuse to get another gun. so far I find that I am pulling the trigger too much because my shots are a little high and to the right. I know what i am doing because I can see it happening. I just need to get more pistol time in; its a little different than rifles for which I am used to.
anyway, thanks for the advice. I will put a red dot on it, just not anytime soon.

I am going to order those VQ parts here in a few days. installation isn't too hard is it? The first time that I took it apart it was an experience to remember. The second time was not as bad. Its just not a walk in the park.

tlen
September 9, 2008, 04:01 PM
....I originally bought the gun to practice using irons. i am a horrible pistol shooter and i cant shoot my 1911 worth crap.
I am going to order those VQ parts here in a few days. installation isn't too hard is it? The first time that I took it apart it was an experience to remember. The second time was not as bad. Its just not a walk in the park.
Installing VQ parts is beyond normal field stripping since you will remove everything. GunTalk-online.com has instructions with good pictures and VQ also has video instructions so if you take your time you should not have too much trouble. It is a good idea to remove the magazine disconnect and LCI when installing your VQ parts. GunTalk-online.com has some good info on why & how to do this. I found the VQ trigger & sear makes a big improvement in trigger pull and my shooting improved. My MKIII678 trigger pull now averages 1# 12 oz. I use my MKIII678 w/red dot for 50 yd slow fire plates and a SW1911 for other events in local Action Pistol Shoots. Dry fire practice is the key both fo the MKIII and 1911.

Gunsby_Blazen
September 9, 2008, 11:20 PM
tlen, thanks for the link.

cliffy
September 9, 2008, 11:27 PM
The 6 7/8" barrelled Mark III Competition was my choice, since it had target sights as standard equipment. These should retrofit the sights on any new Hunter model. Use locktite on the front sight, since it's retained by merely one screw. cliffy

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MKIII HUNTER aftermarket parts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!