plated bullet questions.

PDA

ljnowell
September 8, 2008, 02:22 AM
Looking for some advice from more knowledgeable and experienced people here. I am reloading for a pt1911 and a glock 21. I was contemplating using some copper plated bullets. I found some really good deals on some. I was told by some people that they are a no no in glock barrels, like naked lead. Others have said go ahead and load em, especially in a .45 because of the low velocity. Any opinions here guys?

If you enjoyed reading about "plated bullet questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoney
September 8, 2008, 02:45 AM
The premis that "You can't shoot lead in Glocks." is an urban myth.

Go to
www.glocktalk.com/
and educate yourself.

As long as you keep the velocities moderate and the weapon checked often and cleaned regularly. Shooting lead is perfectly acceptable.

ants
September 8, 2008, 02:51 AM
Well, ljnowell, some people lied to you. Copper plated bullets are used successfully in pistols and revolvers every day. They are safe in Glocks. Most plated bullet manufacturers warn to keep velocity below 1200fps so you don't tear the plating off.

243winxb
September 8, 2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4783978The old data is no longer valid, here is what the makers of plated bullets say about loading them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

I would play it safe and follow these 2 NEW guide lines currently set by Berry's and Rainier's for all plated bullets.
Quote:
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp

ljnowell
September 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
The premis that "You can't shoot lead in Glocks." is an urban myth.

Go to
www.glocktalk.com/
and educate yourself.

As long as you keep the velocities moderate and the weapon checked often and cleaned regularly. Shooting lead is perfectly acceptable.

I've been to glock talk many, many times. :) I know the ins and outs of naked lead, and I choose not to take that chance with my glock. I am planning on an aftermarket barrel down the road, but not for awhile. I just wanted to know if plated would be ok, or if I needed to use a true jacketed round.

12Bravo20
September 8, 2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know about using plated bullets in a Glock but use them in pretty much all of my pistols without any problems. I have a Llama IIIA in .380, 2 Firestar pistols (9mm and .40), Star Super (9mm Largo), Taurus 24/7 (.40), Rock Island 1911, and a Hi Point carbine (.40). I use starting/minimum FMJ loads with both Rainier and Berry's plated bullets in a wide variety of firearms with no ill effects. I also put a light crimp on them with a Lee factory crimp die.

Walkalong
September 8, 2008, 12:02 PM
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them.Plated bullets are indeed unique. They can be shot at with full jacketed data in many instances. 9MM does fine that way with 115 grainers with several powders and .45 does just fine with them at near max data. Get your hands on some plated data. It will be a great help. If you stick to lead data with them you are being unecassarilly cautious.

kennedy
September 8, 2008, 09:22 PM
I only shoot rainier plated bullets in my .40 witness

D. Manley
September 8, 2008, 11:54 PM
Plated bullets are just fine in Glock pistols...if in doubt, contact the bullet manufacturer and ask. Most plated manufacturers are asked this question so often they address in on their websites. I've put thousands of Rainier plated through a variety of different Glock 9MM models as well as through my G-21. For all practical purposes in shooting & cleanup, no different from jacketed.

ljnowell
September 9, 2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like I am gonna go ahead and order them tomorrow and try it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=255371

Seems to be the cheapest hollow point bullet I can find. Anyone else knows of any cheaper I would gladly take a point in the right direction.

Another question for you guys, are semi-jacketed rounds ok in glocks? I would think it would be ok, but dont want to push my luck.

Woodshark
September 9, 2008, 01:53 AM
When I had my first IPSC comp gun built (10mm), the lightest 'jacketed' bullets available were 160 gr roundnose plated bullets. Loaded to Major with WW-540 the Bars-Sto barrel would score the .004" thick copper plate and it would come off in ribbons. I shot targets very close and the plating could be picked out of the cardboard. They also failed the hammer test. Beat one flat with a hammer, or compress it in a vice and see if the plating flakes off; if it does then the only thing they are good for is shooting in polygonal rifled barrels. Now I hear it is the only way Speer makes it pistol bullets. The plating is thicker now, and apparrently it adheres better.

Walkalong
September 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
Seems to be the cheapest hollow point bullet I can find. Anyone else knows of any cheaper I would gladly take a point in the right direction.
TJConevera - Berry's 200 Gr HP (http://www.tjconevera.com/berrys-45-cal-200-gr-hp-1.html)
That price is shipped. I have had great luck with this bullet. Much better than the Ranier 200 Gr HP.

The Ranier 200 Gr SWC (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=781450), on the other hand, is a great bullet.

ljnowell
September 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Decided to order a few different bullets, a hp, a swc, and a rn. some are 200 some 230 gr. Want to give a few different bullets a chance just to see if I can work up a really good load that will shoot well in my glock and my 1911.

Claude Clay
September 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
plated are like M&M's--hard enuf on the outside to get them out there but not hard enuf to keep them together when they get there.

ljnowell
September 9, 2008, 08:54 PM
I like that with the m&ms. Im gonna find out what I can do with them, I guess.

sigma 40ve
September 10, 2008, 05:51 AM
I have shot thousands of plated bullets out of my 6 Glocks. I load them at lead bullet data or 1 gr less than fmj data. Never had any problems.

Deavis
September 13, 2008, 02:51 AM
you can get jacketed bullets for the same price or just slightly more than plated (generally). Solve you problem, shoot the real thing and quit worrying.

Lookn4Brass
September 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
Good info guys. Makes me want to order some too. The indoor ranges out in my area don't like regular cast lead. They won't let me shoot it indoors. Oh well...By the way, I here that M&M's will load pretty well if you cryogenically freeze them first, or spray some nitrogen on them. But you have to shoot them before they thaw out...

Deanimator
September 15, 2008, 05:39 PM
I've only used plated bullets once, about fifteen years ago. I didn't like them. They seemed to leave a lot of copper fouling in the barrel of my Browning High Power. Of course these were from National Bullet Company, so it's entirely possible that they were crap and somebody else's bullets would have been wonderful.

I just bought cut rifling barrels for both my Glocks so that I can shoot my lead bullet handloads. I have no need to push my handloads all that fast, so there's no reason for me to spend money on bullets besides lead ones.

DWARREN123
September 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have reloaded and shot lots of plated bullets in Glocks. I have found them to be reliable and clean if kept at below less than max loads.

ljnowell
September 16, 2008, 02:21 AM
you can get jacketed bullets for the same price or just slightly more than plated (generally). Solve you problem, shoot the real thing and quit worrying.

Im not sure where you shop at, but I cant find JHPs anywhere close in price to plated rounds. I would rather not buy a new barrel for my glock, so your suggestion really isnt helpful at all in this particular thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "plated bullet questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!