Slug Barrel - Open sights or scoped?

PDA

viking499
September 8, 2008, 01:14 PM
Would it be better to have open sights or a scope on a rifled slug barrel?

Wanting to buy a barrel for my mossberg 500 and dono't know which one to get.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Barrel - Open sights or scoped?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
john1911
September 8, 2008, 04:59 PM
Depends. Which do you prefer shooting?

ARGarrison
September 8, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'll further add depends on where your shooting. If your planing to hunt the edge of a field a scope might be a better option, than say if you were to hunt from a deer stand over a trail smack in the middle of heavy brush.

I'll say my rifled barrel slug gun has a scope, but only a 2.5 power.

chas08
September 8, 2008, 05:26 PM
I've owned both and they both work very well. I would consider buying a cantilevered barrel if I decided to go scope. They hold their zero better.:)

earlthegoat2
September 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
a red dot scope is the best of both worlds, i have a gilmore red dot from leupold and it is excellent. i live in a shotgun only zone and have experimented with all setups and have found this to be the best

Flyrodder
September 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
Don't forget about the age factor.:uhoh: When I reached my early 40's, I noticed I couldn't see the front sight of my handguns as crystal as I used to.
On cloudy days in the woods, it was harder to see the front sight also. Went to the scope, problem solved. Flyrodder

duncan
September 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
Like that fella above stated, people over the Net seem to have better accuracy with a scope or a red dot. Just ordered an Aimtech mount for my 870 and she willbe sporting a 40mm red dot scope for deer season.

publiuss
September 14, 2008, 10:25 PM
I am to assume this is for big game hunting. I,m in the no scope camp. unless this is the only weapon you can hunt with in your county. Find a good slug for your gun is very inportant. Mount a good quality 4x scope and dial it in. Your idea of which slug is best will probably change several times at 100yds. Spend some renge time w/ an assortment of slugs and find the one that works. I'ts out there.

Jack2427
September 14, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have a couple of scoped shotguns, but they are rifled barrels, which can take advantage of the 4X scope's magnification. If I were using a smoothbore gun, I would stick with a non-magnifying device (red dot) or a very low power mag factor, maybe 2X at the most-or iron sights, which will give you what you need for the actual effective range you are going to get with the "rifled" slug.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Barrel - Open sights or scoped?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!