Anyone know a USA source of R123 powder?

PDA

zxcvbob
September 8, 2008, 05:28 PM
It's made by Norma, so I suspect it's expensive as all get-out.
It's right at the transition between magnum pistol powders and rifle powders (kind of like Lil'Gun), and the only Norma powders I can find are for rifle.

I've tried searching for it, but all I get is endless links to powder burn rate charts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know a USA source of R123 powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
I appears Norma does not import any pistol or small rifle powders into the U.S. at all.

And I believe Norma R123 was discontinued several years ago.

rcmodel

zxcvbob
September 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
I was afraid of that. R-123 gives the highest possible perfomance at the lowest chamber pressures of any powder in big magnum handgun cartridges (according to QuickLoad.) I wanted to try it out in .45 Colt +P, and in .357 Magnum for a rifle.

shinz
October 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
In the spirit of each & every cartridge is a law unto itself, I'd try W296 or one of the 4227s before writing them off. Useful as I believe Quickload to be, it must only be seen as a guide not gospel.
Steve

NCsmitty
October 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
I'm sure Quickload can give you the next best choice that is available and viable for your use. Ballistic charts and programs are suggestions only and only real world testing, preferably by chronograph, will give you the satisfaction that you seek without resorting to obscure or hard to get powder and components. Good luck!

NCsmitty

Ol` Joe
October 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Might try Graf & son and see if they can get it. They handle Norma powders.
http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=540&s=az&p=3533

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know a USA source of R123 powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!