Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets

PDA

Rokman
September 8, 2008, 06:18 PM
I recently loaded some of these bullets in for a .22-250 in 55gr. and they seem to work pretty well. The packaging says that they are made by a major manufacturer. I was just wondering if they have a good reputation of being a decent bullet. Has anyone tried them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HJ857
September 8, 2008, 09:23 PM
Midway has the Dogtown brand, which seem to be nearly identical to the Extreme's. I found that the Dogtowns shoot noticeably better than the Extreme, non cannelure bullets.

I also compared the Dogs to Hornady fmj 55 grainers w/cannelure and the Hornady's tested much worse.

Now the real interesting part is that I've done two tests over the past two weekends using the Extreme non-cannelure vs the Extreme's w/cannelure and the ones with the cannelure were much tighter.

I don't shoot for absolute accuracy so a three inch pattern is ok with me, but the cannelure Extremes come in around 1.5" so that's well past my expectations.

I'm shooting these in a .223 load, mixed brass, 25.5 H335 with an ogive depth of 1.920 or an OAL that's around 2.260. I've found that the soft points are highly variable so that measuring to an OAL is not productive and will not produce a consistent seating depth. I use the Lee FCD set very light, and my crimp is isn't even close to the cannelure. Shot out of a standard Bushmaster M4 configuration with a 4x scope at 100 yards.

Rokman
September 8, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply HJ857. I bought the non-cannelure version from Midsouth Shooters Supply and am also planning on loading them in .223. So thanks for that good info. I did not test my handloads through my .22-250 for accuracy yet. I was just picking off over-populated turtles in my dad's stock pond. I shot a sunbathing turtle at about forty yards with one of the nightmare bullets stoked with 34 grains of Reloader 15 and it looked like I set a powder keg off under that turtle (ka-boom).

Sommerled
September 9, 2008, 02:07 AM
I tried a box of the Varmint nightmares and was pleasantly surprised. While they aren't as accurate as the Speer TNT or the Vmax i have been using they are a great value. I get sub MOA with them out of my bolt guns in .223 when carefully loaded. I bought 2000 more of them!

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!