Interested in a Semiauto 10mm. Is this any good?

PDA

taprackbang
September 9, 2008, 01:22 AM
Please let me know what you think about this gun.
I am interested in this caliber, but do not know much about
this brand.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109660716

Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Interested in a Semiauto 10mm. Is this any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blofeld
September 9, 2008, 01:37 AM
I know precious little, other than they were one of the first to make pink guns (I'm not joking), the company has a decent rep from what I've heard.

The 10 mm is a respectable round, the down side is ammo is not as available as most other calibers. It can be had, sometimes requires a little searching.

taprackbang
September 9, 2008, 01:38 AM
If I make the purchase, I plan on handloading for it. The 10mm is a beast of a round. At 75 yards, it has the muzzle energy of a .45 ACP. Awesome!

Thanks.

Blofeld
September 9, 2008, 01:54 AM
Check on availability of handload components. Have fun with it, but prepare for some recoil. Let us know what you think.:)

taprackbang
September 9, 2008, 04:26 AM
It's good for me that I enjoy recoil. Sounds strange, but yet true.
All of the ballistics of the 10 mm have really turned me on. I think it will be a winner!

sqlbullet
September 9, 2008, 12:23 PM
I love my two witness handguns (a full size steel and an Elite Match, both 10mm). I love the 10mm.

I would NOT buy this gun. The slide profile on this gun is the new 'rounded' profile. There have been many reports of this slide cracking with full power 10mm loads.

Perhaps they have rectified the problem, or perhaps this gun won't have the problem, but based on my reading, I would avoid any EAA Witness gun with this slide profile in 10mm.

For comparison, here is a used compact with the older slide profile. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109234706

everallm
September 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
Just a heads up, have a search through THR on the company name EAA.

The general consensus is that the weapons are very good value for money but EAA, as the distributer, leave a bit to be desired.

Having said that, the Gunbroker vendor has what appears to be a very good lifetime warranty so you would deal with them not EAA.

Saab1911
September 9, 2008, 02:14 PM
EAA Witness pistols are made by Tanfoglio.

Tanfoglio has a very good reputation in Europe. A lot of guns used at the
Olympics start as Tanfoglio pistols.

Like others have said, EAA customer service leaves much to be desired. :banghead:

But the Witness pistols themselves are great pistols at a good price.

Farnorthdan
September 9, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have a Colt Delta Elite .10mm and absolutely love the gun. I also reload for it and reloading componants are a snap. Star has new brass $80/1000 and .400mm bullets are easy to find, powder and primers= no problems.

I have no experience with EAA but I know glock makes a inexpesive 10mm as well as others, kimber, STI etc.

DS

swopejs
September 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
I own a Witness Elite Match in 10mm, and I wouldn't recommend the purchase of the pistol you're looking at. However, I would highly recommend the Elite series from EAA; they're not much more expensive and are held under better quality standards that the regular Witness line of pistols.

Check out the pricing on an Elite Match at Bud's Gun Shop (where I bought mine):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/54981

almostfree
September 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have heard good things about the Witness 10mm pistols. I would want a full size one for sure. I don't have one myself though. I have Glock 20 & 29 and a Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm. I love them all.

taprackbang
September 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
Great info. Thanks everybody!

sqlbullet
September 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
After bashing that specific witness, I agree whole-heartedly on the Elite Match. Fabulous gun for the money. I have been very happy with my full size as well. Just would avoid those rounded slide models.

BlindJustice
September 9, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hey FarNorthDan you're mixing up
Metric and inches....

A 10MM Auto has the same bore diameter as
the popular .40 S&W cartridge, .401 inches.

THe 10MM Auto was developed by Norma in Sweden so
like the 9mm Parabellum aka 9MM LUger they have no 'inches'
name assigned to them but in a strict metric reference where
the bore is followed by cartridge lengh

9MM LUger = 9x19
.40 S&W = 10x21
10MM Auto = 10x23 <--- pretty sure on that...
.45 ACP = 11.25x23 See Norwegian 1914 - 1911 variant.

Randall

KBintheSLC
September 9, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have never shot or owned an EAA, but quite a few folks here have good things to say about them. I went with the Glock 20 and I really love it... the 10mm auto is my new favorite handgun cartridge.

.400mm bullets are easy to find

Thats gotta be the tiniest bullet on earth. ;)

HB
September 9, 2008, 07:35 PM
A lot of guns used at the
Olympics start as Tanfoglio pistols.

THAT needs a citation right there....

They seem to be good guns, bad importer.

HB

redintex
September 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
Can't speak on the gun, but love the caliber.

Still kicking myself for selling my Colt Delta Elite 10mm years ago - will have to get another one one day.

redintex

sqlbullet
September 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
10mm = 10X25

The loaded cartridge has the same approx over all length as a 45 ACP (1.3" for the 10mm, 1.26 for the 45 ACP), but the brass is longer (25.2mm vs 22.8mm).

Ohen Cepel
September 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
I would get a full size version of whichever one you get. More velocity and I think it makes the 10mm much more potent and practical.

If you want a smaller pistol then get a .40.

I have a Glock 20 which I like a lot, and I'm not a Glock fan. I would look at those also.

6Covered
September 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
Gotta jump in here.

I have about 15 handguns that I shot a lot. I "found" the 10mm about 2 years ago. I now own 3 and its what I shoot the most.

If you just want a shooter find a Smith. They are made like a tank and parts are still available.

Lot of good info on www.10mmtalk and Glocks 10 Ring.

Get a 10 and before you know it you'll be into reloading. Just my $.02.

Jon

CHEVELLE427
September 11, 2008, 12:08 AM
I JUST PICKED ONE UP FROM HERE LAST MONTH :D now i have a SW1006 AND A COMPACT WITNESS 10mm. but mine is not the rounded slide, only bad i have found was on the rounded slide was/maybe weak
there similar to the CZ AND BABY EAGLE :what:
my compact does not have a bad recoil either,
it is a super good gun, fit/feel are good. So far it has ate all I have feed it, all reloads.
pretty darn accurate as well. I have seen them a little less then the one your looking at.

so far there a best kept secrete for the price.
id buy another;)

clang
September 11, 2008, 01:14 AM
I've got a S&W 1076 (the gun the FBI adopted, then discarded). The 3rd Gen S&W 10mm guns are great shooters. They all take the same 9 rd sigle stack mags.

They haven't made them in several years so you will have to buy used.

Mortech
September 13, 2008, 02:44 AM
EAA Witness are good weapons , I ALMOST bought one in 10MM because after 2 years of searching I couldn't find a used S&W 10XX series , fortunately I made side trip to a new gunshop and bought one from an employee there . Now I own a 1006 and a 1066 , as for ammo avaliability , 10MM in this area is plentiful and is prices almost exactly the same as 45 ACP .

http://www.delsol.net/~madmoe1/SW/Twins1.jpg

JImbothefiveth
September 13, 2008, 04:26 PM
The 10mm is a beast of a round
Do you really want it in a compact then? The gun you linked to was a compact.

taprackbang
September 14, 2008, 01:06 AM
Do you really want it in a compact then? The gun you linked to was a compact.

Yeah I was just comparing different models and noticed that there are not that many 10mm semi-autos around. That's all.

Good stuff! Thinking about the Glock 20 more and more.

bigcim
September 14, 2008, 01:41 AM
this is my 10mm I think shes gorgeous
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/cimy89/1210744505-1.jpg

kitsapcharly
September 14, 2008, 02:18 AM
I just got a 22/45 convertible and first shot it earlier this week. Just 20 shots 45 before switching to 22 for about 150 shots. Preliminary tests s were no problem with 45 in either magazine. About 3 or 4 FTF with 22 which doesn't seem bad for a new 22.
Seems like a very nice gun...a keeper. In a convertible two guns for one price. The 22 top has fully adjustable target sights but the 45 top has fixed sights. Both tops seemed dead on.
These are a CZ variation made by Tanfoglio. Look good and have a very good reputation.
Why a 10MM? You can get 45s converted for 45 Super which is close in power or even to 460 which has more power...all this without having to drop in size. :confused:

Crazy Fingers
September 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
Word on the street is that you need to put in a Wolff 22 lb recoil spring, as well as a 1911 recoil buffer or it will crack the slide. The stock 10mm witness supposedly has the same recoil spring as the .45 witness!! Which is WAY TOO WEAK!

IdahoLT1
September 16, 2008, 03:27 AM
I have a 10mm Witness match and i put a Sprinco recoil reducer on it and i believe im running 20lb wolff spring. I bought a set of recoil springs and swapped them out trying to find the perfect match for my reloads. It had some trouble with jams and didnt like hollow points at all. I added a +5% magazine spring which reduced the capacity from 15rds to ~13rds(all i could put in w/out splitting my fingers open). It helped a bit but still had jams on the last 3 rds in the mag and didnt like hp's.

I took it out this weekend and im thinking it needed a good break in period. It started feeding far better with hp's and only jammed on fmj's twice. Its still not reliable enough for my needs a a SD woods firearm. I believe the problem to be magazine related, so im going to buy a couple more and test it before it goes to the shop. Im avoiding sending it to EAA at all costs. Its a great range/desert shooter, but i bought a S&W 1006 for woods protection. It is far, far better in terms of reliability. Never had a malfunction. The barrel sits higher than the Match, so IMO, it has more recoil. The trigger and sights are not as good and its not as accurate, but it is very reliable.

Pat-inCO
September 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
I love the 10mm but I would not be ready to buy one in anything less than a 5" barrel. I have a Colt Delta Elite (5") and a S&W 610 (5-1/2") and love them both. Since neither is available in current production (as of the beginning of this year, no matter what the Shot Show said) I would look at either Kimber or Dan Wesson. Both will be more expensive but well worth the extra $$s.

While I don't have actual tests available, I'd bet that a 10mm in the 3.6" barrel would have no better velocity than a .45 ACP +P in a 5".

mpmarty
September 16, 2008, 02:16 PM
My 3.5" Witness shows 1525fps average with 135gr Noslers over 14.0 grs of #9

Big Mike
September 16, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've owned a full size Witness .45 and have researched several calibers in this model. I would recommend the full size or Elite over the compact. Mike

RPCVYemen
September 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
To echo what a lot of other have said: If you get a good EAA pistol, it will be a great pistol at a great price. If you get a bad one, you are more or less on your own.

I don't know how big a deal the Davidson guarantee is. I would be surprised if they replace the gun due to trigger or accuracy issues. In other words, if they only replace the gun if it is truly broken, then that my not be of much solace.

Mike

atblis
September 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
In other words, if they only replace the gun if it is truly broken
That can be arranged. :evil:

Crazy Fingers
September 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
I just got my Witness 10mm full size in. Now I see why the factory didn't use a 22 lb spring in it. I replaced my stock spring, and man is this slide a BEAST to rack! And with sweaty hands, it's almost impossible.

IdahoLT1
September 21, 2008, 03:49 PM
What spring did you get? Theres a noticeable difference between the 16lb and 22lb springs but it shouldnt be that hard to rack the slide back. Are you sure you got the right springs? Maybe the one you got are too long.

CZF
September 21, 2008, 05:42 PM
As one who LOVES the 10mm cartridge, but carries a 9mm only
because the 10s are too heavy for CCW.

I had a 1076 but (like with most SIGs ) I hated the decocker lever.

Bought the Witness 10
http://onfinite.com/libraries/1249173/5a5.jpg

and never looked back, although I'm very interested to see what the the S&W 10mm automatic will be.

Oh, yes. I run a 20 pound Wolff spring. Seems to be perfect with any load that I shoot.

Crazy Fingers
September 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
It's the Wolff 22 lb. spring. The problem isn't so much the force required, but the tiny little area you have to squeeze on. You gotta really squeeze and ram it home! It helps to cock the hammer and then rack the slide afterwards.

R&J
September 21, 2008, 06:35 PM
I shoot 10 mm with a modified Glock 21...

My favorite ammo--Double Tap's 1600 fps, 767 ft/lbs, 135 gr Nosler!

True .357 Magnum power with sixteen shots on tap!

Happiness is...

Note: Members of 10 mm Talk can get a 10% discount on Double Tap ammo. Sale ends today!

http://www.10mmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=8854&pid=64692&st=0&#entry64692

--Ray

MTS840
September 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
Please let me know what you think about this gun.
I am interested in this caliber, but do not know much about
this brand.

What is the intended purpose for said gun and caliber?

davepool
September 22, 2008, 12:17 AM
Get the G20, it has lots of barrel/caliber options available and was purpose built for full power 10mm ammo

If you enjoyed reading about "Interested in a Semiauto 10mm. Is this any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!