Poll: Rack the shotgun?

PDA

Fast Frank
September 9, 2008, 01:19 AM
I've seen it.

You've seen it.

We have ALL seen it.

Somebody says "Rack the shotgun, the bad guys will run away."

Then, 20 people will post up with all sorts of tactical advice.

And it goes on and on and on...

Let's get to the bottom of this!

First, the rule: DO NOT VOTE FOR WHAT YOU THINK!

That's right. We've heard what everybody thinks a gazillion times.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT WHAT YOU YOURSELF HAVE ACTUALY SEEN OR DONE!

I have attempted to make the questions fit, if your situation was different, please vote the answer that is closest to your experience.

This is a multiple choice poll. If you have had more than one experience with this, vote for as many as fit what happened to you.

PLEASE BE HONEST!

******EDIT******

I just realized that I left out a couple of situations. "I Racked the slide and then had to shoot the bad guy" and " I racked the slide and the bad guy shot me".

If that was your experience, tell us about it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: Rack the shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oldnamvet
September 9, 2008, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I'll rack it ..............after the first shot.

jpatterson
September 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
I tested this theory out a couple weekends ago.

I was lying down on the couch watching tv late into the night and someone comes up and tries yanking my front door open for about 15 seconds then stops. I know all my roommates are inside the house and we aren't expecting anyone at 4am, so I grab my gun (870) and check the front door.

I open it enough to be able to clearly see two sketchy looking guys outside my apartment talking about 15 feet away from my door facing the opposite direction. I opened the door all the way and without stepping out of my actual apartment I rack the slide and load one into the tube. No response whatsoever. After maybe 10 seconds they turned around and looked at me, saw my gun and then walked away pretty quick. If their intentions were worse/hadn't seen my gun it would have been a bad night. My point: DO NOT COUNT ON THIS! While it may work for some people who register the slide being racked, SOME PEOPLE STILL WON'T! Don't take the chance! I am 100% positive these two heard it, but I don't think their brains registered the sound as a threat. That was the first and the last time I will EVER rack the slide as a defensive measure.

These two might have been high as kites/whatever the case, but I will never take a chance with that. I suggest you don't either.

Goblin
September 9, 2008, 09:22 AM
I use a SXS...no warning req'd in Tx!!!!:)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 9, 2008, 09:25 AM
Funny poll - I like it.

But I would say, heck no - you just put one of your rounds on the ground, and so you have one less shot! I for one keep my bedroom shotgun chamber-loaded.

foghornl
September 9, 2008, 09:28 AM
Racked mine ONCE as a deterent...

back door knob quit rattling around.

Fast Frank
September 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
So far, the results are interesting.

I see that74 people have viewed the poll, but only 20 votes.

Could it be that some folks are not voting because they don't like what the truth will do to the numbers?

Out of 74 views only five claim to have "Racked the slide".

Of those five, only one claims less than ideal results.

That's an 80% success rate, and no negative results.

Interesting.

RetiredLawman
September 9, 2008, 09:31 AM
I am a retired cop that never had to fire a shotgun is a takedown. However, we used them sometimes for their psychological effect. Bad guys know what racking the slide sounds like and sometimes we racked the slide when doing an entry for a search or a takedown. It always worked for us. Of course, they knew we were police officers and would not hesitiate to use the weapons. For home owners, it might not work. Dopeheads are very determined individuals when they need a fix.

plumberroy
September 9, 2008, 10:56 AM
Several years ago we live in a house with an alcove window on the side of the house I was fixing to go to bed when patsy started barking at that window. I dropped a mag in a 45 auto and hit the slide release (sound simalar to racking a shotgun. about the time it takes to get to my coon dog at a hard run she started barking ,you could follow the dogs barking down the alley as some one leaving in a hurry went by them .

slow944
September 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
Heard my driveway gates rattle one morning about 2am and saw a shadow going down the driveway to the garage, went into the den and took the shoty off the rack and "racked it" next to the window. The uninvited guest bent my gates leaving the area.

SaltH2OHokie
September 9, 2008, 11:34 AM
I voted for never done it because I didn't even shuck a shell into mine the only time I've had to grab it. Two guys came into my apartment in the wee hours of the morning, drunk and talking crap about something that they thought I, or one of my roommates, had done to them. We kept trying to get them out without escalating the situation or engaging in an argument. I told my girlfriend to call the cops (said it very loudly and deliberately) and they seemed to ignore that, so I motioned to my roommate that I was going to go to my room, he hollered at them, they looked at him, I ran to my room, one followed and when I met him in the hallway with a 26" barrel shotgun, he turned around and was hollering for his friend "HE'S GOT A GUN, HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!" and they left in a pretty big hurry.

We never figured out what they were pissed off about...figure they had the wrong apartment and just didn't know or didn't care. They weren't trying to rob us, it was like they came in looking to fight?

W.E.G.
September 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
Never done it.

But if I did have time to make sound-effects before a lethal encounter, I think I'd also make some remarks about the intruder's relations -- preferably in several languages -- just to be sure.

Loosedhorse
September 9, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hey, guys, remember that shotguns don't have drop safeties, and the reason we teach that you don't load the chamber until you're actually hunting (and to unload when crossing fences) is so we won't stumble and get a surpirse. What's true in the hunting field may be doubly true in a dark house at night, with the adrenaline pumping.

My advice would be if you:

a) are investigating a bump in the night, and not sure what it is, take the shot gun, but don't rack it until you've identified a target/intruder.

b) KNOW you've been invaded, rack the shotgun, get everyone into the designated safe room (usually the master bedroom), lock the door and call the police.

c) have to exit the family safe room (to locate/rescue a missing family member), leave the shotgun in the bedroom, and use a pistol: it has a drop safety, leaves one hand free (if needed), and is less likely to make a mess of a hostage in a rescue shot.

I would avoid exposing myself to attackers (going out on the front porch, racking the shotgun, and announcing, "What we have here is failure to communicate!") and any incoming fire they might decide to provide.

KBintheSLC
September 9, 2008, 05:44 PM
Never tried it. I assume it depends on a lot of things. If it a common criminal, they will likely cower and leave. If it a psychotic, delusional maniac, I doubt it scare them away.

But I would say, heck no - you just put one of your rounds on the ground, and so you have one less shot! I for one keep my bedroom shotgun chamber-loaded.

Unless you have an external hammer that you can manually drop, I don't think that is safe. Unless your shotty has a hammer or firing pin safety. Most pumps that I have used only have SAO with a trigger-only safety and no external hammer control making it very dangerous to leave one in the chamber.

357wheelgunner
September 9, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hey, guys, remember that shotguns don't have drop safeties, and the reason we teach that you don't load the chamber until you're actually hunting (and to unload when crossing fences) is so we won't stumble and get a surpirse.

Now the "tactical debate" begins....

If you follow the Big 4 Rules of Gun Safety you'll be fine, even in the unlikely occurance of a shotgun firing from impact. Never point it at anything you don't want to shoot, and keep your finger off of the trigger, and you should be just fine with a round in the chamber.

I'd prefer to be able to shoot immediately if I stumble onto some crackhead with a rusty screwdriver in my living room, as opposed to having to load my currently useless shotgun and giving him a fraction of a second to shank me a few times.

When things go bump in the night, I chamber my shotgun, quietly, in the bedroom.

Titus
September 9, 2008, 05:54 PM
Like any other defensive situation, it's one more thing that may or may not work. Some folks won't be deterred by the fact that you have a gun and some might not be deterred if you shoot them too. I know some folks want to be quiet for some element of surprise, but then a lot of folks keep their defensive shotguns in cruiser ready, so they're going to rack the slide whether they think of it as a deterrent or not.

tblt
September 9, 2008, 05:57 PM
stupid poll I won't answer

KC0QGL
September 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
In my house the only thing the BG's will hear is the safty being clicked off.

H2O MAN
September 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
"Rack The Slide"?

What slide? :evil:

boomvark
September 9, 2008, 06:54 PM
Never tried it, don't know if it works, and am unwilling to gamble my continued consumption of oxygen on the willingness--or ability--of any particular goblin to take such a subtle hint.

If "DON'T move!"--pronounced loudly, enunciated clearly, and amplified by the fact that I'm eyeballing the critter down the barrel(s) of a 12-gauge--isn't enough to make him stop what he's doing, I doubt rather seriously that any further non-physical arguments will prove persuasive.

Also, by definition, if I'm justified in displaying the weapon at all then I'm justified in using it. I hope, intensely, that I never have occasion to run this scenario for real.

76shuvlinoff
September 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
Never done it,
never hope to.

onebigelf
September 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
When my first wife and I were dating I caught some crackhead going through the back or her roommates JEEP. I'd had knee surgery and was on crutches. When I asked what he though he was doing he told me to mind my own f-ing business if I didn't want to get hurt. What was under my right arm wasn't my crutch. I racked the slide as hard as I could and he F L E W away. I mean it. I swear, he was airborne. It was amazing. I still keep my bedside Ithica with an empty chamber for that reason.

John

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 9, 2008, 07:26 PM

Bout the only thing worse is your response saying "I won't answer" in run-on grade school fashion no less.

Fast Frank
September 9, 2008, 07:38 PM
See? this poll is producing some valuable data for sure.

83% of the responders admit that they have no experience in this matter, but they are giving advice anyway.:rolleyes:

Of the folks that have experience with this, they are reporting an aproximate 80% success rate, and no negative results at all.

Very interesting indeed!

Really. Why is it stupid?

Is there some reason why we should not discover the truth?

Loosedhorse
September 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
My advice revolved around safety. And I have an awful lot of experience with unsafe gun behavior.

One definition of "expert" is a guy who's already made every mistake in the book. And survived to tell you about it. :)

I also have an incredible amount of experience avoiding shotgun fights--all of it successful so far. :p

ReloaderFred
September 9, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm a retired cop and done it hundreds of times over the years. At 0230 hours, in a dark alley, it worked every time for me. Burglars really didn't like hearing it and usually gave up as soon as sighted. On Felony Car Stops, it makes a big difference. There's nothing quite like the sound of an 870 being racked when it's really quiet, especially when you've snuck up on them and they don't know you're there. Sometimes I miss the thrill of the hunt, but realize I'm now too old to keep up.

Been there, done that, didn't even get a gold watch...........

Fred

Sir Aardvark
September 9, 2008, 11:28 PM
I keep my shotgun in "cruiser ready" condition - action open on an empty chamber, safety on - so I would pretty much have to rack the slide to get it ready to fire.

That being said, I would not use the "rack the slide" thing to try to intimidate anyone - it could possibly not work out quite the way you intend it to.

Rshooter
September 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
One time on guard duty I had a Marine leaving the area with a package that was required to be signed for by a Major in my presence. I asked him to stop and he told me to F... off a..h..... On guard duty we carried our shotguns with a fully loaded magazine of buck and and empty chamber. After racking the slide my name went from a..h... to sir. :what:

mljdeckard
September 10, 2008, 12:32 AM
I don't keep a round chambered, but it's mainly because of my house situation with small children. When the 870 is cocked, the slide won't rack unless you know to press the lock on the trigger guard. It's the compromise that fits my situation.

I will say, there's a big difference between racking the slide hoping to affect guys outside your house, and doing it when there is a guy creeping through your house hoping to John M. Browning that he hears absolutely nothing as he robs you. The thing to remember is it may well cause panic and attack instead of fleeing. Assume nothing.

shadowalker
September 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
You missed the option of "I wont rack the shotgun in the presence of bad guys because it prevents the SG from being immediatly usable, and gives my position away."

If the sound of a shotgun being racked was sufficient for self defense we could just sell sound bites of racking shotguns.

The BG will either run away or he will attack, there is no guarantee and no way to predict which will happen.

ctdonath
September 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
If there is an intruder in my home, I am not interested in having a conversation with him (a la "Deuling Gun Mechanisms" of slide vs hammer), I want my gun to go BOOM the moment I need it to. He's in my house, all questions have been answered and choices have been made. Slide racking may work wonders, but we're past "orange" at that point.

boomvark
September 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by shadowalker:
If the sound of a shotgun being racked was sufficient for self defense we could just sell sound bites of racking shotguns.

That might not be a bad idea, and there's sort of a precedent; they were selling soundtracks of large barking dogs years ago.

Also, if it's an HD situation and you have a surround-sound system, it negates the previously cited "now he knows where you are" factor.

:D

bowl443
September 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
Was TP'ing a house in my younger days, home owner caught us, came out racking a shotgun.... We Ran, Fast.

earplug
September 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
Why eject a perfect unfired round?

novaDAK
September 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
Movies do not equal real life.

kentucky_Dave
September 10, 2008, 01:09 PM
Not first party of course (thank God)
BG's attempting to enter, father grabs old faithful, herds us into back room.
BG's gain entry few min's later, father racks, takes aim on swift moving targets that were in panic mode and seeking egress.

He racked it because he kept the chamber empty for safety.

It makes perfect sense to me.
Rack as you bring it up on target, if they hear it and run, great, if not, there is a bead on the threat...as desired.

Problem contained.

elChupacabra!
September 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
I rack it as it comes out of the safe. My Gague stays safety off, full tube, empty chamber in the safe. To me, I'm not losing any really meaningful time by cycling the forearm as I shoulder the weapon. Any additional benefit I get from the sound is fine, but that's not why I keep it that way. I do it for safety, speed, and to maybe help thrust me into an aggressive mindset - plus I think the gross motor skill required to cycle the pump is a little more reliable than the fine motor skill required to flip off the safety. Just my thinking.

Either event the Gague is not in the bedroom, but a 1911 is in the nightstand. THAT one stays empty chamber for safety - I do things in my sleep from time to time that I'm not aware of. Again, I doubt the split second it would take me to cycle the slide would make a meaningful difference in a HD situation.

Either they've got the drop on you, or you've got the drop on them. I doubt cycling the action would really have a significant effect either way. Everything in life is a balance of interests and risks. Pick as best you can.

jackdanson
September 10, 2008, 01:40 PM
No personal experience, but imho racking the slide would work wonders the 90+% of the time the goblin is trying to loot your place and really isn't looking for a confrontation. It is the other 10% that I worry about. If someone is armed racking the slide is just going to let them know your location, which could be dangerous.

jakemccoy
September 10, 2008, 03:00 PM
Based on the poll, racking the slide works. If you don't agree, ignore the poll.

jakemccoy
September 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
I tested this theory out a couple weekends ago.

I was lying down on the couch watching tv late into the night and someone comes up and tries yanking my front door open for about 15 seconds then stops. I know all my roommates are inside the house and we aren't expecting anyone at 4am, so I grab my gun (870) and check the front door.

I open it enough to be able to clearly see two sketchy looking guys outside my apartment talking about 15 feet away from my door facing the opposite direction. I opened the door all the way and without stepping out of my actual apartment I rack the slide and load one into the tube. No response whatsoever. After maybe 10 seconds they turned around and looked at me, saw my gun and then walked away pretty quick. If their intentions were worse/hadn't seen my gun it would have been a bad night. My point: DO NOT COUNT ON THIS! While it may work for some people who register the slide being racked, SOME PEOPLE STILL WON'T! Don't take the chance! I am 100% positive these two heard it, but I don't think their brains registered the sound as a threat. That was the first and the last time I will EVER rack the slide as a defensive measure.

These two might have been high as kites/whatever the case, but I will never take a chance with that. I suggest you don't either.

I'm not understanding the logic. You didn't have a negative experience with racking the slide. For these particular guys and for whatever reason (maybe on drugs, maybe deaf), the sound had NO effect. However, you are now vehemently opposed to racking the slide. The story, as you relayed it, doesn't make sense.

jfdavis58
September 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Several years ago, while living in an apartment, I heard noises outside the door. A rattle and a thump on the door and some muted talking. I grabbed a 12ga, loaded 4 or 5 shells, moved to the door and racked the slide. I very carefully opened the door and looked out through the crack.

There stood a very ashen faced, frozen to the spot rookie police officer with an expanding wet spot on his pants. He was part of a raid on a next-door neighbor.

I didn't vote in this poll.

elChupacabra!
September 10, 2008, 03:30 PM
Several years ago, while living in an apartment, I heard noises outside the door. A rattle and a thump on the door and some muted talking. I grabbed a 12ga, loaded 4 or 5 shells, moved to the door and racked the slide. I very carefully opened the door and looked out through the crack.

There stood a very ashen faced, frozen to the spot rookie police officer with an expanding wet spot on his pants. He was part of a raid on a next-door neighbor.

I didn't vote in this poll.

I call shenanigans on this one RIGHT HERE.

Fast Frank
September 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
well, as far as I can see the poll shows that racking the slide works.

Pretty hard to argue with those numbers.

kcshooter
September 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
How about:

"I racked the slide, gave away my position, and wound up dead so now I can't vote in this useless poll."

Titus
September 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
Are you claiming this happened to you? :)

mgregg85
September 11, 2008, 11:46 PM
I have never "racked the slide" in anger. The only time I would rack it would be to ready the shotgun or reload after firing. If the bad guy's got a weapon and coming at you the first and last thing he should hear is you pulling the trigger, not fooling around with the gun.

There is simply no reason to 'rack' a gun other than to load it. If the bad guy happens to hear that and leave because of it, all the better. I'm never gonna go out of my way to let him know where I am and what exactly I have in my hands, I may shout "get the hell out now or die", but thats it.

mp510
September 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
I hope to God that I never have to find out.

SGW42
September 12, 2008, 12:10 AM
They will have to hear me rack it, because I keep an empty chamber for safety, but that chamber will only become loaded when I'm ready to fire.

Basically, I am not going to count on the sound as a deterrent.

Would be interested more in "Which pump produced the best 'slide racking' sound?" thread/poll.

CWL
September 12, 2008, 12:16 AM
Actually, I use a semiauto for my HD. There might be a small 'click' as I work the safety...

Beyond that, why advertise your presence?

packnrat
September 12, 2008, 12:25 AM
i would like to belive the last choice works...but i hope i never need to find out.:what:

boomvark
September 12, 2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by kentucky_Dave:
He racked it because he kept the chamber empty for safety.

It makes perfect sense to me.
Rack as you bring it up on target, if they hear it and run, great, if not, there is a bead on the threat...as desired.

This makes the most sense to me also, in a HD context. I do, in fact, keep my 870 with chamber empty, for reasons that you (and others) have already covered. It's just that I would be racking the slide to chamber the first round, not assuming it would scare the BG away. If it did have that effect--which seems at least somewhat likely, if this thread is a reliable indication--then so much the better.

What I really need to do, though, is practice tactical reloads with my H&R singles, since those are the shotguns I'm much more likely to have at hand.

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
When a drunk friend came pounding on my door at 2 a.m. one night( we didn't open the door until we figured out it was him) he nearly messed his pants at the sight of the big black meanie hanging off of my right arm.

The funniest part was that he hadn't seen it until he caught sight of the glowing front sight.

I'm all for any means of resolving a sitation without having to hurt anybody.

If that means taking the extra second to yell at them or to rack the shotgun so they can hear it, I'll do it.

Zedo
September 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, rack that puppy --

Give the bad guy a position indicator to shoot at.

There are a zillion Viet Cong in Nirvana Land because the AK-47 makes a loud "click" when the safety is released -- giving away their position.

First sound the bad guy needs to hear is the crack of the bullets breaking the sound barrier -- followed shortly by the boom of the muzzle blast.

NonConformist
September 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
I sold an Old SCHP Remington pump to a guy at the shop I worked for. I tried to suggest some ammo, but he didnt want any ammo he was just going to rack it to scare them away! :rolleyes:

True story!

ReloaderFred
September 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
I notice in reading the varied posts that there are clearly two lines of thought on this. Most posters are thinking along the lines of self defense in their homes, while the police officers, both active and retired, are thinking along the lines of "in the line of duty".

These are clearly two entirely different circumstances, and require different lines of thought and preparedness. The situations require different mind sets, one is clearly defensive and the other is offensive.

In my case, the many, many times that I racked a shotgun and pointed it at someone, ready to pull the trigger in an instant, it was clearly offensive. They were doing something against the law and it was my sworn duty to stop them, and I was hunting them. By hunting them, I don't mean that literally in the sense that I was out to kill them. I was after them to take them into custody so as to protect life and property and to stop them from their illegal deeds, whatever that may have been at the time. I've arrested murderers, rapists, child molesters, burglars, etc. at the point of an 870, and never did I expect the sound of the shotgun to do the job. It was up to me to do the job, and the shotgun was just one of my tools. Looking down the barrel of an 18" shotgun, after hearing it racked, or not, is very intimidating, unless the person is so intoxicated, or so under the influence of drugs, that they have no comprehension of what is taking place.

Was I prepared to pull the trigger each time I pointed my shotgun at some perpetrator? The answer is "yes", each and every time. Did I want to? The answer to that is, "no", but I would have, if required.

This isn't a subject for speculation, as Fast Frank clearly posted in the original question. Unless you've been in the situation, you can't guess as to what will happen, as people react differently. Even the same person won't necessarily react the same on two different occasions, in the same exact circumstances. One should never expect the sound of the shotgun racking alone to scare someone away. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't, and it only takes one miscalculation to result in tragedy. If you aren't willing to pull the trigger when you're confronted with a life threatening situation, then the gun shouldn't even be involved, whether it's a handgun, rifle or shotgun.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Justin
September 12, 2008, 02:16 PM
well, as far as I can see the poll shows that racking the slide works.

Well, insofar as a completely unscientific poll on an internet forum is indicative of anything, I suppose so.

SteelyNirvana
September 12, 2008, 02:33 PM
I've "racked the slide" only once and it seemed to work. Had just gotten home about 12:30am from a visit with my dad. Had a great visit and he let me take home my grandad's Mossberg .410 bolt action. My grandad passed away a few month earlier. I had been in the bedroom with the lights on admirimg the .410 (working the bolt, figuring out how to load and unload it,etc) went into the kitchen to get a glass of tea. Heard someone banging on the front door, I figured at this time whoever it was was up to no good. I quietly walked into the bedroom and grabbed my Mossy 500 in 12ga. I steped right infront of the front door and gave the mossy a quick rack. Next thing I hear is some chick saying "Hello?, I ran out of gas and need gas money" I peered back the blind on the door and find a heavy set woman in her mid 40's she explains thats she's outa gas up the road and needs gas money. I told her I did'nt have any, she then says that she's got alot of problems and needs to talk to someone,and wants to come in. I said lady its almost 1am in the morning I don't know you and your not comming in my house. (I had started to get a feeling that someone was hiding out in the yard and they were using to woman as a ploy) then she asked if I have .50 cents so she could make a phone call. I finally gave in and said yeah I'll give you .50 cents but I'll hand it to you through the bedroom window. So I raised up the window just enough to get my hand through along with the screen and she went on her way. I never did see anyone else in the yard but I just had one of those feelings.

That was the only time I've racked the slide in a form of intimidation and it worked pretty good.

Tully M. Pick
September 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Based on the poll, racking the slide works.

Nah, it just shows that we need hip boots to wade in here. Consensus doesn't equal fact.

Well, insofar as a completely unscientific poll on an internet forum is indicative of anything, I suppose so.

Edit: I should have read all the way to the end. Pure truth, that.

rondog
September 12, 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't have a h/d shotgun, at least a 12 gauge pump anyway. The only "deterrent" sound I can make is the slight "click" of the thumb safety on my 1911. Doubt they're gonna hear that.

swingpress
September 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
My 870 is stored with an open chamber because I don't trust myself to disengage the safety under stress as much as I trust myself to chamber a round as it comes out of the safe.

I have six guns with a manual safety and each has it in a different location or operates in a different way. I need to standardize!

I have never operated my pump in the presence of danger, and voted such in the poll.

Thanks to those who filled out the poll based on actual experience!

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: Rack the shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!