A Tale of 2 Enfield Jungle Carbines

PDA

50caliber123
September 9, 2008, 01:37 AM
I own a real No5mk1 which has always suffered from the lack of an adjustable rear sight. The gun shoots some 6-8 inches low at 50 and 100 yards. By adjustable, I mean for windage and elevation. I'm giving thought to Williams Gunsights and am open to any other sight options if any of you folks out there have knowledge of a product that works.

The 2nd Enfield is an Ishy 2A1 cut down by Navy Arms to look like a jungle carbine. Despite all I heard about these, mine is a great shooter with a great trigger. The downside is that the recoil is awfully excessive from the bench. I am interested in getting a synthetic stock but have heard that some models out there actually increase felt recoil. Has anybody out there used the Ramline, ATI, or other stocks?

If I could get one or both of these rifles on target and enjoyable to shoot, I would be happy. Right now, its just frustrating trying to fix these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Tale of 2 Enfield Jungle Carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Full Clip
September 9, 2008, 01:47 AM
I had an ATI stock on my #5. I didn't like it. Can't explain why.
Bought a repro stock wood setup from Numrich and love it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/Enfield53sm.jpg

50caliber123
September 9, 2008, 02:33 AM
Will the stock that fits your No.5mk1 fit a 2A1? I know the 2A1 is based on the No.1mkIII, so are the stock dimensions that diferent?

goon
September 9, 2008, 03:01 AM
You're in luck, at least with the No.5.
To adjust the point of impact up, all you have to do is either file the front sight down carefully, about two or three solid passes at a time, until you get your bullets hitting where you want them. Or you can swap the front sight out for a shorter one.

To adjust for windage, drive the front sight in the opposite of the direction you want to move your shots.
For example, if you want to move the group to the right, move the front sight to the left. It should have a little room to slide in its dovetail. All you need is a brass punch and a hammer.

Newton
September 9, 2008, 02:53 PM
I have heard that the recoil on the jungle carbine is quite vicious.

Is the .303 round really that powerful? Why is the recoil so much worse than a comparable rifle such as the Mosin M44.

mp510
September 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have heard that the recoil on the jungle carbine is quite vicious.

Is the .303 round really that powerful? Why is the recoil so much worse than a comparable rifle such as the Mosin M44
A jungle carbine is nearly 2 pounds lighter than an M-44, and does not have a 1.5 pound steel weight on the muzzle. I anticipate my JC giving me some recoil when I shoot it, but I don't expect it to be unbearable or anything. While .303 is a full bore military service round, that is longer than 7.62x54 and uses a heavier bullet (than light ball) its recoil is diffirent in that it is less sharp (inherently).

jonnyc
September 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
I love my JC!
I load modest 150 grainers for it.
Look for a Parker-Hale PH4 or 8/53 rear sight for your little friend. Tough to find, but easy to attach and use. Both are windage and elevation adjustable.

Jeff F
September 9, 2008, 09:38 PM
That No5 must have a flip sight on it. You might look for one of the milled, elevation adjustable sights. I think they made them for the No5. I know the milled sight for a No4 will fit on it but the elevations marked on the sight will probably be off,

Like was said above you can get shorter front sights for it.
Try Springfield Sporters, they may even have the proper rear sight.

shinz
October 4, 2008, 04:11 AM
The No5s came with the adjustable rear sight but the graduations are different. my No4 rearsight goes right up to 13 (1300yds?) even nos. on the left, odds on the right of the sight frame. The No5 only goes to to 8, a reflection on its acknowledged shorter range capability or simply a more realistic view point by the time they came into being.
Steve

DougW
October 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
Standard #5 rear sight was graduated for 800 yards. The flip was never used on issue #5's.

Springfield Sporters has replacement front sight blades. I too filed mine down before I knew there were different blades available.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Tale of 2 Enfield Jungle Carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!