Star PD

PDA

LA GUN
September 9, 2008, 12:53 PM
I came across a very nice late production Star PD in electricless nickel for sale on line. By the time I thought about, convinced myself and went back it was gone. Well that just made me more determined, and after haunting the boards and calling around I found a NIB time capsule early blued gun. Complete with all the accessories, manual, cleaning kit, this huge screw driver like cleaning rod, I bought it.

It was about 25% more than the first one that started it all but it was closer to home and in perfect shape compared with others I had found that were showing their age.

I have heard it attributed too both Jeff Cooper and or Mas Ayoob that you should buy two, carry one and shoot the other. Well almost thirty years later I am grateful because it seems there are more than a few of those 'second' guns around, and in very good to excellent shape.

Being the obsessive that I am I quickly found and extra magazine (Gun Broker) a set of period Pachmyer grips (eBay) and complete set of replacement springs, some extra strength (Wolff) and replacement buffers (Jack First).

I am feeling pretty pleased with myself. All in, I am at about $500. My previous purchase was a Smith 15 snub so I am now hopelessly stuck in the 70’s.

I have read every posting and thread I can find on the Star, 80% pro, 10% con, 10% cautionary, but would love to learn more. So if you've got any info, insights, or observations please let me hear them, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Star PD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nj.piney
September 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
i bought one six months ago on gunbroker. as new in box unfired, it was . its my carry gun now. i dont think you went wrong for that price.
i shoot remington 230 gr. jhp in it and it has never failed. if you read all of the threads, you probably read mine. congrats.on your purchase.

Old Dog
September 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think you did quite well.

I bought a lightly used PD in 1995 and in a moment of utter foolishness, traded it away a few years back ... I still miss it, and haven't found another as nice since. I've nothing negative to say the PD; it's just a neat little pistol.

In fact, all the Star pistols I've ever owned (Model B, BM and a Firestar) have been reliable, reasonably accurate, cool-lookin' and fun pistols ... but I guess that'd be another thread.

saltydog452
September 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
I wish that I had never detail stripped mine.

The trigger pull was a bit too light so, I reasoned, with the assistance of some refreshment from Scotland, that I'd have a look.

I did. Now I can have a real close look 'cause I haven't been able to get it all back together.

salty

If you enjoyed reading about "Star PD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!