338 FAL Magnum

PDA

Gabe
September 7, 2003, 03:21 AM
What do you think am I nuts?

The FAL could be a major bore gun chambered for something like the Lazzeroni Galaxy (250 grain @ 2700fps), if Winchester offers a 338 WSM, that'll do also. Lazzeroni even has a .416 short magnum. The 20 round mag could be converted to hold 10.

If you enjoyed reading about "338 FAL Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MLC
September 7, 2003, 02:29 PM
I saw a conversion of an M1 or M1A I forget which that was chambered for 338 Win mag.
If you have deep enough pockets you could probably do the R&D necessary to get one that feeds ok and doesn't blow up in your face.
Why not go the AR-10 route as they are already producing rifles in the short magnums, and are most likely more accurate than an FAL.

Dave Markowitz
September 7, 2003, 05:04 PM
It wouldn't be a "magnum," but I bet a good 'smith could rebore a FAL for .358 Winchester, or a wildcate .338-08.

Nightcrawler
September 7, 2003, 06:50 PM
IMO, the FAL is a better and more robust design that will handle higher pressures better over time (steel receiver vs. alloy ones).

DSA is offering FALs in .300 WSM.

I, however, would like to see an AK (RPK) beefed up and scaled up to .338 Win Mag and .45-70, with 5 and 10 round mags...

surfinUSA
September 8, 2003, 12:26 AM
The AR10 and ar 15s have a much stronger action than the FAL. The ARs use a rotating bolt with a steel to steel lock up (bolt to barrel extention). Thats how they can use lightweight receivers and the FAL can't. The AK uses a rotating bolt with steel to steel bolt to barrel lock up and thats how it can us a sheet metal receiver.

The FAL's falling bolt locking shoulder is pressed into the lower receiver and needs the strength of steel (go to FALFILEs.com and ask about the Williams aluminum receiver debacle). Hey if an FAL was safe with an aluminum receiver, one of the 90 coutries using it would have done it sometime in its 40+year history.

The FAL is one of my favorite rifles but there are better locking mechanisms out there.

C.R.Sam
September 8, 2003, 01:12 AM
The FN FAL is very very good at being a main battle rifle.

When I first looked at this thread, I pulled one out along with some assorted parts.

My enthusiasm waned rapidly. Figured, leave it be, it works just fine. But there doesn't seem to be much room for goin heavier, hotter etc.

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "338 FAL Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!