Federal Magnum primers

PDA

Rod B
September 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
A shooting buddy advised me of a gun shop close to his place of work were having a clearance sale on some Federal primers. I told him I could use a box of 1000 large pistol primers.

He picked up a carton for me & when he presented them they were "magnum " large pistol primers. I did not want to seem ungrateful or hurt his feelings; so I didn't comment on the item. :o

The only cartridge I reload using large pistol primers is .45ACP. I load for target use only using lead bullets over a moderate charge of Bullseye or WW231.

My question is can I use these magnum primers? I was thinking if I reduced the charge by a few tenths of a grain this might compensate for the extra energy delivered by the hotter primer.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Magnum primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DEDON45
September 9, 2008, 09:54 PM
Sure you can use them, just back off the charge a bit and work back up.

The Bushmaster
September 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Absolutely...Back off the maximum powder charge by 10% and work up. If you have a chronograph it will be of help here...

Rod B
September 10, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'll try some slightly reduced loads.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Magnum primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!