tracer + gasoline= nota

PDA

futureranger
September 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
so i shot some tracer rounds at water bottles with gas in them but they didnt explode, i used lots of different fuel to air ratios but still just put a hole in the bottle. can anyone tell me why?

If you enjoyed reading about "tracer + gasoline= nota" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marktx
September 9, 2008, 10:41 PM
Because God looks after fools, drunkards and Lieutenants

Just because I'm curious....... What caliber tracer were you using?

kcshooter
September 9, 2008, 10:42 PM
Stand closer next time.

Floppy_D
September 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post 2 has this covered, might as well lock it. The real reason is because you didn't have an oxyacetalene tank as a backstop.

oklahoma caveman
September 9, 2008, 10:49 PM
odd thing to ask about. slightly destructive. smells like a troll

esmith
September 9, 2008, 10:51 PM
Darwin.

Sistema1927
September 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
If you are looking for a bang, let me suggest Tannerite.

Even though your tracers didn't set off the gasoline, that stuff can be downright dangerous. When I was at Ft. Knox an NCO was stripping old polish off of a pair of boots with a bottle containing just a couple of ounces of gasoline. The fumes ignited from the pilot light on the kitchen stove, and he was killed by the flash over. Nasty stuff, you don't want to be around it any more than needed.

futureranger
September 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
it was a 308 147gr tracer. i was about 100 yards away... trying to make blowing stuff up as safe as possible ha

Jason_G
September 9, 2008, 10:55 PM
What the heck is a "nota"? I'm assuming it's not an explosion.

Gas is only flammable/explosive in gaseous form. You can put a match out (don't try it) in liquid gasoline. It's the vapors that catch.

In case you are a 12 year old who is on the verge of blowing up yourself or someone else, put the gas away. It may sound cool but it is a dumb, dumb idea. Gasoline is very volatile, and if you do happen to get it to catch, you may send flash flame all the way back to your position, and everywhere else you were carrying that container of gas. Again, dumb idea. Not being rude, I just don't want you or anyone else to get hurt.

Jason

Loomis
September 9, 2008, 11:04 PM
Try shooting an aerosol can of engine starting fluid instead.

blkbrd666
September 9, 2008, 11:07 PM
If you sign, DO NOT tell your superiors about this one or you will never achieve your goal, futureranger.

bcp
September 9, 2008, 11:32 PM
tracer + gasoline= nota

What the heck is a "nota"?

Probably a misspelling of "nada" meaning "nothing" in Spanish.

SCPigpen
September 9, 2008, 11:32 PM
Lets not encourage this type of behavior. If you are 12 put the gas & the gun away.

rangerruck
September 9, 2008, 11:45 PM
also , you need heat and pressure, and as soon as you punch a hole in the water bottle, you lose any of what you may have had above.

shadowalker
September 9, 2008, 11:53 PM
Mythbusters did some experiments with gas tanks and tracers, should be available online, good entertainment and safer and smarter than doing it yourself.

They found it was far harder than they thought to get a tank to explode. At one point they were too close and they tracer wasn't igniting before passing through the tank.

dispatch55126
September 9, 2008, 11:54 PM
Science class-

Solids and liquids do not burn. Only gases burn. An object must be heated to its vapor point before ignition can occur. In the case of gasoline, that is -45 degrees.

The other issue is LEL/UEL. "too rich or too lean" ring a bell? The tracer most likely did not ignite the gasoline sine the immediate atmosphere was too rich to ignite. Gasoline's flammable range is 1.4% to 7.6%. That's what makes it great in engines. It has a low flammable range and high BTU's.

BTW- Put the gas away and retire the rifle. Play with your BB gun if you want to be stupid.

jackdanson
September 9, 2008, 11:57 PM
Watch mythbusters, it took them dozens of tries to get ignition with a tank full of gas using tracers, even then it was anticlimactic.

Maelstrom
September 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
If you want to make gasoline explode just drive a car.

The internal combustion engine is powered by a series of explosions.

The difference between you and the engine, however, is that you're made of flesh and the engine is made of metal.

Schmidlin
September 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
Tracers dont create enough heat. And its not the fluid of gas that is explosive its the fumes

vicdotcom
September 10, 2008, 12:04 AM
Liquid gasoline isnt what catches on fire first. Its the vapors that the gasoline gives off. You can drop a lit match into a glass of gasoline and the match will extinguish after it hits the liquid gasoline. Hold it above the glass and you will get a flare up. Shooting a tracer through a bottle of gas wont do anything but spill the gasoline onto the ground.

VAPORS!!!

W.E.G.
September 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
This thread gives me a case of the vapors.

herohog
September 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
The TIME the tracer spends in the flammable vapor area is an issue as well but the single biggest thing as that a spark or flame is required to ignite gas. A lit cigarette won't light gas unless it gives off a spark. The burning ember itself isn't enough.

Crazy Fingers
September 10, 2008, 12:16 AM
Oh for god sakes, let the guy have some fun. If he's doing it in the middle of some dirt field, away from everyone, big deal.

I say light a fire, throw in a can of starting fluid, then shoot it.

Cuda
September 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
Stand closer next time.

:):):)

C

hatchetbearer
September 10, 2008, 12:29 AM
our favorite was to make a small fire, set a 2lb propane cylinder within close proximity, get on 4 wheeler go several hundred yards out and then shoot the cylinder.

Play with your BB gun if you want to be stupid.

-1 on this, that is how several of my teeth are no longer my teeth.

Schmidlin
September 10, 2008, 12:40 AM
several hundred yards? get closer, 25 yards then have some fun.

Art Eatman
September 10, 2008, 12:55 AM
Enuf...

If you enjoyed reading about "tracer + gasoline= nota" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!