how detailed do you get with your pistol brass?

PDA

Halo
September 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
I sort my pistol brass by headstamp, and up to now I have also sub-sorted it by the number of firings. It's starting to get a bit tedious having two or three (or more) small batches of the same brass, though. Just a general question for the group, how detailed is your sorting?

This is 9mm and 45 ACP brass, btw.

If you enjoyed reading about "how detailed do you get with your pistol brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baldy
September 10, 2008, 12:11 AM
I shoot .45s till they split or I loose them. All are looked at many times during my loading operation. I shoot about 200rds a week.

shadowalker
September 10, 2008, 12:11 AM
I used to sort my handgun brass by headstamp but gave that up pretty fast. My batches are sorted by approximate number of firings and caliber.

At the distance I shoot handguns the brand of brass doesn't impact accuracy enough to be noticable.

When I buy a new batch of once fired brass I buy single headstamp but after that it is all mixed together.

sniper7369
September 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
I don't sort mine at all. I shoot the 9mm and .45 until they are split or I lose them. I don't load anything terribly hot for range use, usually only a little above the minimum, so the brass lasts forever.

Floppy_D
September 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
I sort my pistol brass by caliber... that's it. The exception is 44mag, which I check for small splits... but 40 gets used until it fails.

evan price
September 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
Straight-wall pistol is so simple.
I sort by caliber, I sort to remove nickle brass from autopistol calibers (Not revolver), and look out for Berdan brass (scrapped), split or bulged cases or folded/cut case mouths (scrapped) and 9x19 trimmed to 9x18 (also scrapped).

I don't trim pistol bullets, I don't sort by headstamp, I don't separate them by how many times fired. I dump all of one caliber into a big bucket and when I want to load I grab a handful at random. I don't load hot, I don't load for sub-moa accuracy, and I hand inspect them several times in the reloading/cleaning process.

Usually they get lost before anything bad happens, but when they split or get so dinged up I think they might interfere with extraction, they go in the scrap bucket.

I have 1930's headstamped .45 acp military cases still going strong.

lgbloader
September 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
For 9mm, 38 spcl, and 45acp, I buy 500 new brass for 1 lot. I have more than 1 lot (I wont say how many) going at a time. This way, I have a couple of lots loaded while I shoot another lot completely and then they just move to the next stage

Handload, Fire, Dirty bin, Tumble.

Clean bin, Handload, Fire, Dirty bin, Tumble

I usually lose them before they start to crack.

I have some cases that I have reloaded so many times, it's embarassing

But on my Magnum Pistol Rounds, I treat them like rifle brass.

Cheers...

broham
September 10, 2008, 12:50 AM
I sort my 357 and 44 brass by brand and aproximate firings.(kind of hard when you get brass at shows and ranges, you never really know) My 40 and 38 brass just gets sorted by aprox firings. By the way how can you tell your 44 brass is ready for retirement. I load for a desert eagle so loads are pretty hot. So far no split cases. Is this all to look for?

Sgt.Dusk
September 10, 2008, 12:50 AM
I used to sort all my brass in some way till I grew lazy and now theyre all in one bucket waiting to be reloaded and fired. Sorting kinda lost its meaning after I found out it makes no difference if I did it or not.

ants
September 10, 2008, 02:50 AM
Detailed?

Am I supposed to be detailed about it? It's brass. I throw out the bad. I load. I shoot.

I'm not trying to be dense. It's just that I don't shoot Bullseye or National Match type competition. IPSC and practice are all at short range. After 4 decades of doing it, I find no amount of detail work on the brass makes a difference in my pistol shooting. Now, rifle is another matter, but you asked about pistol.

Otto
September 10, 2008, 03:49 AM
With 45acp I separate the Winchesters out, all the other headstamps gets mixed together.
I do this because 75% of the 8000 cases that I have are Winchesters.

Besides cleaning, the only other case preparation I do is uniform the primer pockets which is a one time task.

FM12
September 10, 2008, 09:20 AM
Throw into the tumbler, remove, reload. I load pistol calibers on a Dillon SDB. I try to watch out for and remove any brass that causes trouble in my SDB, usually A-Merc and some Federal marked FC 07...other than that load till they split or lose them!

The Bushmaster
September 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sort by head stamp and number of firings. Tumble, resize/decap, clean primer pockets and trim (ALL cases out of tolerence). I also maintain a log of each set of 50 (handgun) and 20 (rifle). "If it's worth doing. It's worth doing right". Heard that some place. Can't remember where...

scrat
September 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
hahahahahah i like lgbloaders technique

~z
September 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
Tried it the "hard way" for a while. Couldnt notice any difference, now I throw em out when they split or the head stamp goes smooth
~z

Walkalong
September 10, 2008, 02:42 PM
9mm and 45 ACP brass, btw
I tumble them, load them, and shoot them. I quit sorting etc. Can't tell the difference.

scrat
September 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
same here

The Bushmaster
September 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry guys, but I must be just anel...Hell, I even weigh every powder charge I drop in a case. Pistol, revolver or rifle. Remember?

Papa smurf
September 10, 2008, 05:06 PM
I must agree with Z. At 70 I may not have a lot of time left and I would rather spend time shooting.

~z
September 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
The way I understand it 70 is the new 40. Keep shootin!
~z

Navy joe
September 10, 2008, 06:06 PM
Only time I ever sorted was to make a accuracy seeking 9mm load, I picked out a bunch of once fired WCC which is great 9mm brass. Matching brass on a 9mm can yield good results since there is not much internal case volume and headstamps may vary. The load was incredible. Other than that I have some other reloader's .45 cases sprinkled in mine, often the headstamps are older than I am.

ZeSpectre
September 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
Sorting for me works kinda like this.

Inspect for failed cases (or A-Merc...same difference)
Discard failed stuff
Reload

Yup that's pretty much it.

PCJim
September 10, 2008, 07:22 PM
Mine get sorted by caliber only. Used to try to keep them separated by lots (brand, firings) but I, too, found it makes no difference. After sorting, they get tumbled and put into ammo cans until needed for recycling into ammo.

Halo
September 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to stick with separating by headstamp, because multiple headstamps in the same batch will keep me from sleeping at night :), but I'm not going to continue bothering to sort by number of firings, at least not with pistol rounds.

wyocarp
September 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
People sort brass??? Actually, there are some calibers that I have noticed a difference in the brass, but I don't think I've ever sorted them other than caliber.

CU74
September 12, 2008, 02:02 AM
Meh. Once upon a time, I did all of the anal retentive sorting stuff but not any more - and I can't see a discernible difference in the accuracy from my guns. No, I'm not a competition shooter - I'm way too old to get wrapped around that axle.

(Necked rifle brass is a whole 'nother story..........)

NotSoFast
September 12, 2008, 03:33 AM
I sort mine by brass or nickel plated. The brass gets reloaded, the nickel plated gets recycled. I know it's okay to use, but I just like to keep things simple. With more 9mm brass than I'll be able to wear out in my lifetime I'm not too worried about it. lol

Now if I was into competition accuracy I might be more meticulous. But I've never come up with a good enough reason to go into that sort of competition.

Lookn4Brass
September 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ditto on the no-sorto, el brasso. Tried the tedious way. My groups didn't get smaller for 9mm or .45

After a few firings I DO clean out the primer pockets, though, and use a Sinclair primer pocket uniforming/reaming tool that makes sure that my primers keep gettin' seated deep enough on my Dillon RL550B. I hate it when the gun goes click and I have to re-cock the hammer and fire it again to get the round off! Since I spent a little more time doing the primer pocket thing, soft primer hits are down to about zero.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 15, 2008, 04:43 PM
Initially sorted brass for major brands and whether plain or nickel, Winchester, R-P and Federal. Since I ended up with thousands of each major brand, I shoot, tumble and load them separately so don't have to sort.

The odd brands like Speer, Dominion, IVI, etc were just mixed up but kept nickel plated separate.

After shooting 25 meter groups with different brands, plain or nickel, my conclusion is similar to those who previously said that there is no discernible difference in accuracy among the different brands of casings.

No practical reason for me to sort, except that sorted brass are nicer to look at in MTM/Caseguard boxes.

wanderinwalker
September 15, 2008, 08:24 PM
Sort pistol brass?! You've got to be kidding, right? :confused:

Seriously, 9mm ends up tumbled, dumped in the bucket, reloaded, fired, picked up, repeated. For my bulk .44 Magnum loads, same drill.

Now, for full-power .44 ammo, I keep the brass seperate in lots of 50. Record load and number of firings. When they get up in number of firings, they get dumped into the bulk bin for light load duty. Come to think of it, .44 Magnum brass is good and tough, and seems to last forever in light-power loads.

Rifle brass, that gets treated differently. But not much point in sorting pistol brass if you're looking at 3-4" 25-yard groups. That's only 12-16 MOA! ;)

Eric F
September 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
for me its like this, I pick up brass if it says 38 super it goes with me thats about as detailed as it gets.........

RustyFN
September 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
Clean, load, shoot, clean, load, shoot and the cycle goes on.
Rusty

Chris Rhines
September 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
I sort out the S&B, A-MERC, and eastern European junk, and sort the rest between nickel and brass. Other than that, it gets tumbled, loaded, fired, picked up, and so on. I shoot enough lost brass matches that I don't bother keeping track of number of firings.

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "how detailed do you get with your pistol brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!