Mounting peep sights.

PDA

C-grunt
September 10, 2008, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but Im in the market for a tactical 870 for my HD and patrol shotgun. I have found one I like for relatively cheap but it has only a front bead. I want the rifle type peep sights. I was told they can drill the receiver for the rear sight. Can they do the same for the front sight or am I going to have to get a new barrel with one already attached?

PS..I can get one issued to me by my dept but I want it to me mine, so when I move to a different position I dont have to take off the goodies and give it back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting peep sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
September 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
A front sight can be installed by a competent smith, but the price will be similar to a new barrel.

An option, buy the Remchoked, rifle sighted 20" barrel. Take off the rear sight and ignore the base still on the barrel. Add a peep.

I did this on Number 2. Works great.

Fred Fuller
September 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
JMHO, but front sights on working shotguns absolutely need to be silver-soldered in place. Yes, rear ghost ring sights are all installed with screws, but a rear sight is no use without a front post.

While it will cost a good bit to buy a set of aftermarket ghost ring sights and get them professionally installed on a shotgun, it's a one-time investment- if the job is done right.

lpl

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting peep sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!