Is my G30 REALLY "LNIB"? I think not...

PDA

Drjones
December 25, 2002, 08:25 PM
So I bought a G30 off someone from GT. I emailed back and forth with him, and even had a few phone conversations with him, and he seemed like a very, very nice, honest man.

I actually completed the transaction in late Oct., and my FFL held onto the gun until the 16 Dec, because I bought the 27 at about the same time, and took delivery of that first. (THANK YOU, STUPID CA LAWS!)

So, my bad; I didn't fully inspect the 30 upon arrival. I did however, after my first shoot with it on the 16th of this month.

My G27 is supposed to have had approx. 2-3 THOUSAND rounds through it, and the G30 50 rounds.

Here is some of what I found:

G30: Quite a bit of wear on sides of trigger and inside magwell (as if trigger had been pulled A LOT and LOTS of mags inserted/removed repeatedly)

G27: NO wear in these areas. 99%+ Really.

G30: Noticeable wear on top right edge of slide, and on edges around muzzle.

G27: PERFECT slide finish. 100%

Those are just off the top of my head. I wrote an email to the seller that went into some greater detail, but it is at home.

In his reply to me, he was quite concerned about my disappointment, and very apologetic.

I wrote back telling him that I really don't care that much (which I don't, so long as the wear is purely cosmetic) and its no big deal.

However, I have several concerns:

-How many rounds have REALLY been through this gun? If my 27 has had 2-3 THOUSAND and not shown a LICK of wear, how many rounds does it take to beat up a Glock???

-Could my FFL have taken it out for a few trips without telling me?

What should I do, if anything? The gun seems to be in fine mechanical shape, but again; I'd just like to know how many rounds its really seen.

What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is my G30 REALLY "LNIB"? I think not..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C.R.Sam
December 25, 2002, 08:37 PM
Too many possessors to tell. Unless seller and your dealer kept track AND are willing to say.

Couple of lessons there...
One...inspect the goods as soon as they arrive.
Two...you indicate you inspected it after you shot it...see One.

LNIB should show NO signs of wear, shooting etc.

If it is functioning well, consider yourself lucky and be more alert in the future.

Sam

denfoote
December 25, 2002, 09:07 PM
Hey it's a Glock!! :)
It could have 10,000,000,000,000 rounds through it and it WILL function and look as new!! :D
Stop complaining!! You will make Lord Gaston angry!!! :rolleyes:

2nd Amendment
December 25, 2002, 09:23 PM
Glock makes guns?! :D

Standing Wolf
December 25, 2002, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, "like new in box" sometimes means only that there's a box.

Schuey2002
December 25, 2002, 11:05 PM
Drjones,

You can always send it in to the factory and have new parts put in it.. Heck, you also could just buy the parts from www.glockmeister.com and install them yourself.. Glocks are super easy to strip down and work on.
As far as the finish on the slide, your G30 sounds like it has some normal holster wear. All Glocks will eventually do this,but if your concerned you can have Glock USA refinish it for about $65.00..
Your magwell sounds just like the ones on all of my Glocks.They get this way from repeated magazine insertion/removal. Again, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

Overall, your G30 doesn't sound like a beater,but I haven't seen it either..

If your totally worried about it,just give Glock a call and tell them all your concerns. :)

45R
December 26, 2002, 12:27 AM
DrJones-
Have Glock Gunsmith look at it. He should be able to tell you about how many rounds have gone through it. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

45R

Drjones
December 26, 2002, 12:56 AM
Thanks all.

I was under the assumption that it was bought new by the person I bought it from and ONLY fired 50 rounds.

The cosmetic wear doesn't bother me, but it causes me to seriously doubt how many rounds were REALLY put through it.

Like I said, the G27 with 2-3 THOUSAND rounds thru it is absolutely, literally 99% or higher. And I am UBER-anal about my things. Like so uber-anal I use toothpicks and q-tips when cleaning my CAR, k? :D

Anyhow, so long as the flaws remain purely cosmetic, I'm happy...

It sure was fun to shoot at the range!!! NO muzzle flip at all!!! :D

Jason Demond
December 26, 2002, 06:14 PM
Maybe someone used it as a carry gun..

Blueduck
December 26, 2002, 06:44 PM
Good point by Jason I had a 23 I put at least 1000 rounds through but rarely carried, after a wipe with an oily rag it looked brand new. Some of the guns in the office have almost no rounds through them but look totally beat up just from handeling and carry marks.

triggertime
December 26, 2002, 07:01 PM
The type of wear mentioned is obviously holster wear. It sounds like the previous owner used it periodically as a carry gun and later decided that it was too thick and bulky for carry.

Field strip the gun and examine the slide rails on the frame for wear. Then check the underside of the slide to see if copper lubricant is still visible.

If the gun has had 50 rounds through it, then the copper lubricant should still be visible. If it isn't, someone either cleaned it off unknowingly or someone is being dishonest.

rock jock
December 26, 2002, 07:17 PM
Good point, triggertime. My 23 also looks brand new after about 2000 rounds. And I carry it almost every day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is my G30 REALLY "LNIB"? I think not..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!