9mm & 40 prices

PDA

GunLvrNLearner
September 11, 2008, 01:46 AM
From my experiences and shopping on new guns and the same exact make and model gun the 9mm and 40 are usually always the same price now the 45 is higher but the 9 and 40 usually the sae price everywhere,is this pretty much always the case?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm & 40 prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ben86
September 11, 2008, 03:33 AM
From my experience 9mm is always the cheapest followed by .40 then .45 being the most expensive. Though lately .40 is sometimes tied with .45. The 9mm is cheaper to make, smaller amounts of materials, and so mass produced that it should always stay the least expensive of the three.

SubSolar
September 12, 2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah, i only shoot .40 and .45 and lately the .40 WWB is only $1 cheaper than .45 per 100 at Wal-Mart.

GunLvrNLearner
September 12, 2008, 03:34 AM
I apologize,i meant the prices of guns not ammo...saying same gun in 9mm & 40 always seem to be exact same at places i look

loop
September 12, 2008, 07:10 AM
Same action in 9 as 40. Same size in 9 as 40. Less powder in 40. More bullet in 40. It's a wash.

Even when they grow up they won't be .45s.

Disaster
September 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
Less powder? Perhaps in the way some people are loading their .40's when both are at the high end of their pressure scales the .40 takes a bit more powder. +P 9mm's get closer and +P+ might surpass, but then you are talking about some really hot 9mm loads.

Most modern .40 service pistols are now built on frames designed for the .40 cartridge and not squeezed into 9mm frames. In fact, most manufacturers now are coming out with service pistols designed from the getgo for the .40 S&W. and then just offering a 9mm barrel and mags....sometimes even the slide is the same.

With there beefed up frames and small primer, these new .40's can easily handle +P loadings which you are starting to see from the likes of BuffaloBore and DoubleTap. These loads get very close to +P .45 territory.

The .40 and .45 are much, much closer in energy than the .40 and the 9mm.

Getting back on topic, as far as store prices are concerned, 9mm is usually considerably cheaper than .40 and .45. I can find .40 cheaper than .45 most of the time but that difference is a bit less. I suspect the big difference is the cost of the brass, copper and lead. Commodity prices have been through the roof. On that note, commodity prices are finally starting to drop...over the last few month or so Gold has gone down 25%. Maybe we'll finally see a retraction in ammo prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm & 40 prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!