least expensive American-made 1911?

PDA

Halo
September 11, 2008, 12:53 PM
Looking over my collection, it occurred to me that my own country is woefully underrepresented. My only American-made pistol is a Browning Buckmark. I figured to remedy this, what more quintessentially American pistol could I get than a 1911?

I have to admit though, the 1911 world confuses me with such a huge variation in manufacturers, styles, mods, and so on. Is there such a thing as a relatively inexpensive (< $800) American-made 1911 these days? I don't want anything fancy, just something like military issue. I have nothing against the foreign ones, like the Brazilian Springfields, I just sort of want something native-born - you know...Mom, apple pie, and John Browning. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "least expensive American-made 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45auto
September 11, 2008, 12:55 PM
For less than $800, Colt and Auto Ordinance in the 'GI' style.

Ske1etor
September 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
Kimber... Custom II...

RPCVYemen
September 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
May be hard to define "American made" - sort of like cars any more. Is a Chevy "American made" - even if it may have more foreign manufactured parts than my Toyota? I think people gave up on that one a while ago, and now refer to "American badged" cars - meaning a car that is produced by a company that was a big name in the US in the '50s. Unless they are looking form handouts from the feds - then they are all as American as Apple pie. :)

Do you mean where the steel is produced? Where the frame is cast/forged? Where the frame and parts are machined? Where the gun is assembled? The brand on the gun?

I think Ruger casts a lot of frames in the US for other manufacturers - I don't know if they do 1911 frames for anyone. I think that some of the custom shops claim to be "American Made" - but I don't know how much of the process happens in the US.

A number of people have suggested Colt. I would have guesses that Colt - like most of the other manufacturers - uses frames cast/machined somewhere else (by Imbel?) to save money. But I don't know that to be the case.

Mike

Black Majik
September 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
+1 to the Kimber Custom II.

A Colt NRM Government is actually more expensive than a Custom II in my area. :eek:

S&W1911

rocinante
September 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
I got an Kahr Auto Ordinance GI 1911 a couple months ago for 400 and to me and my more gun saavy buddy it is a well made gun. We took it apart and smoothed it out some and even there the machining was pretty darn good. It definitely goes bang.

AFAIK it is all american made although in some of my research the frame and slide may come in raw from a company in spain and they finish it in New York.

can't get any less expensive and still claim the made in U.S.A. than AO.

RPCVYemen
September 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
AFAIK it is all american made although in some of my research the frame and slide may come in raw from a company in spain and they finish it in New York.

I suspected that all of the people making 1911s do this, and call it "American made". Does anyone know for sure about Colt? Where their low-end frames and slides made?

Mike

Halo
September 11, 2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. By American-made I would mean ideally something forged/cast and assembled here, though as RPCVYemen mentioned above it's hard to really know if there's such a thing as 100% American anymore. I'll check out all these suggestions.

edit to add -- I really like the look of that Auto-Ordnance pistol! Nice and plain. I'll have to see if I can find one locally to look at.

Ske1etor
September 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
I can tell you 100% that Kimber 1911's are all made completely in the U.S.

In fact, the only part of any Kimber firearm that is not made in the U.S. is the wooden stocks on some of their rifles. Some of them are made from wood that isn't abundant in the U.S. so the stock is cut and shaped out of the country and shipped to Yonkers for finishing.

RPCVYemen
September 11, 2008, 05:26 PM
I can tell you 100% that Kimber 1911's are all made completely in the U.S.

Do they do their own casting/forging, or have another company do it for them? Does Ruger do theirs?

Mike

Marcus84
September 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
What about STI?

kcshooter
September 11, 2008, 09:28 PM
What about STI?Phillipines I would have guesses that Colt - like most of the other manufacturers - uses frames cast/machined somewhere else (by Imbel?) to save money.Nope, in house USA made.

Colt, Kimber, Smith and Wesson are the most affordable ones. Others are high-dollar, like Wilson, Brown, Baer.

j1979
September 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
Dan Wesson's are made in the U.S but owned by CZ, correct? Hmmm where does that one fit in?

kcshooter
September 11, 2008, 09:37 PM
They are definitely 100% american made. CZ-USA is in Kansas City, KS.

NonConformist
September 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
Many of the 1911s made by SA are all done here, but they retail for about 1K for the Operator and TRP models. SAs loaded model is made here except for the forging of the frame which is made in Brazil, but the rest is made here as is the machining of the frames IIRC

Kimber, Smith and Wesson and Colt are all that come to mind for 100% american made though besides higher end guns

modifiedbrowning
September 12, 2008, 02:51 AM
Smith and Wesson.

loop
September 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Colt and Kimber are pretty much the extent of it for actually made in the USA. Colt has owned all its production facilities for generations. Kimber started its 1911 production by making no more than the slide and frame. It has grown, but the basis of Kimber's 1911 line has been making slides and frames. (Even though poly-framed Kimbers have imported frames.

SA, don't count on it. SA doesn't actually make anything. Every part is contracted out to the lowest bidder.

I'm not going to bother checking every part and its origin for 1911s, but I'd be willing to bet there is not a single 1911 on the market today that is 100 percent U.S. made.

If I owned the company I can guarantee you it would not have a 100 percent U.S. made 1911. It would kill any price point advantage you could hope to overcome with patriotism.

45auto
September 12, 2008, 08:09 AM
I don't believe Colt produces their own forgings, they buy them.

There aren't many companies that actually run a foundry to my knowledge, S&W does, STI I think. Anyone else?

Kimber, I read, uses barstock.

Ske1etor
September 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
Do they do their own casting/forging, or have another company do it for them?

They do it all in house... Kimber in Yonkers is a complete firearm factory... not a firearm assembly plant.

Evenflo76
September 12, 2008, 09:02 AM
Buy a Norinco for $300 and rebuild it with quality parts.:neener:

ldp4570
September 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
Even though they don't manufacture a 1911 clone, Ruger is American made!

RPCVYemen
September 12, 2008, 11:50 AM
I don't believe Colt produces their own forgings, they buy them.

I vaguely recall hearing this.

Anyone know where they buy them?

Mike

Cliff47
September 12, 2008, 12:34 PM
have you checked out Fusion? The fellow that previously owned Dan Wesson is now making his own 1911 parts, pistols and kits. The address is www.fusionfirearms.com.

SSN Vet
September 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
American-made 1911

North or South? :neener:

cajun 48
September 13, 2008, 06:12 PM
ske1etor, me thinks some have defiencies in comprehension. ajb

Prince Yamato
September 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
What about STI?

Aren't they a Canadian company?

Owen
September 13, 2008, 07:32 PM
buckmarks are made in Canada :-)

auschip
September 13, 2008, 07:45 PM

Nope, they are in Georgetown, TX.

Supertac45
September 13, 2008, 08:16 PM
Last time I checked, Kimber buys their frames and slides. If not, where are they poured and forged?

weisse52
September 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
A Colt is always the right answer...:neener:

Caimlas
September 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
I might be wrong on this, but I seem to recall reading/hearing at one point that Caspian Arms supplies 1911 frames, slides, and parts to a lot of the major manufacturers - though it may have simply been for the "custom shop" guns such companies (Springfield, Kimber, etc.) run.

I also believe most major manufacturers get their slides and frames from overseas in "rough" condition (80% or less?) due to importation tax and restriction, and then "finish" them turning them into the actual parts and giving the parts the finish expected by the respective company.

Again, let me qualify this with "I might be wrong and/or getting my facts confused".

SCKimberFan
September 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
have you checked out Fusion?

While Fusion firearms made be made in America, they don't fit the $800 price point.

conan
September 13, 2008, 11:49 PM
What about STI?

Phillipines

Only one model of 20 or more is made in the Phillipines as their budget gun. All of their other models (a bunch) are US made

conan
September 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
Again, let me qualify this with "I might be wrong and/or getting my facts confused".

Indeed!

kcshooter
September 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
Only one model of 20 or more is made in the Phillipines as their budget gun. All of their other models (a bunch) are US madeRight, but since we were talking least expensive, the only model that would fit into the qualifier is that particular gun, which is made in the phillipines.

jaysouth
September 14, 2008, 12:20 PM
Jerico Precision in Yonkers, NY makes slides and frames for Kimber as well as others.

Jerico is now 100% owned by Kimber. At one time they were making frames and slides for some wilson products, Kimber and a limited run of Ithica 1911s.

Smith and wesson does forging for a LOT of other companies. I can't imagine why they wouldn't make their own slides and frames.

NO SA frames is made in the US. ALL are forged in Brazil. The markings of country of origin merely reflect the amount of machining (finishing) done in the US or Brazil.

grendelbane
September 14, 2008, 03:12 PM
Even in the good old days, Colt bought a lot of steel from overseas, mostly Germany.

Caspian purchases castings from Ruger's Pine Tree foundry, and then finishes them.

Even my Doublestar frame lacks import markings, though the casting may have come from overseas, and then been finished in the USA.

duewest
September 14, 2008, 06:45 PM

Your thinking of SVI

If you enjoyed reading about "least expensive American-made 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!