why would my Remington 1100 Magnum split cases?

PDA

1KPerDay
September 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
Sometimes my 1100 Mag will split the rim of a case, right along the ouside edge of the rim. I've noticed it primarily with high brass 2 3/4" "express" or pheasant loads, which the gun sometimes ejects and sometimes doesn't. (with the 3" barrel installed)

Ammo problem or gun problem? Is this dangerous? Doesn't seem safe...:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "why would my Remington 1100 Magnum split cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pete409
September 12, 2008, 12:05 AM
Is this split lengthwise or around the circumference of the case? If the latter, then it sounds like the extractor may be doing the splitting. This might be caused by an extra rough chamber (which is not uncommon on many guns today) causing hard extraction.

The good news is that you can polish the chamber yourself and likely fix the problem. Some 00 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush and used in an electric drill with a little oil will do the job of polishing the chamber.

Virginian
September 12, 2008, 09:51 AM
Or it could be your locking bolt is worn and you have excessive headspace. Not likely, but possible. Much more likely to be a dirty chamber.

1KPerDay
September 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
Is this split lengthwise or around the circumference of the case?
Around the circumference of the rim, not above the rim, but right down the middle of the edge of the rim. Strange.

I haven't tried the new (to me) 2 3/4" barrel yet so I'll see if it does it. I got the shotgun used when I was about 12 and have only shot it a few times since... I suppose it's possible that the chamber is rough but that would surprise me. I've kept the gun very clean BTW.

Thanks for the ideas! :cool:

Pete409
September 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
Sounds to me like the chamber is too rough and the extractor is splitting the case rim when it attempts to extract it from the rough chamber.

BTW, you don't have to neglect the chamber for it to be rough. They often come from the factory that way.

I don't see anything unsafe about firing 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chamber. They may not eject reliably, but that's not a safety issue. Polish the chamber and you'll probably solve both problems.

Virginian
September 13, 2008, 12:35 AM
I have had it happen years ago with heavy Remington Express and heavy Federal loads. Never with Winchester, and haven't seen it in many years. My chamber was spotless and shiney. I figure somebody was saving money and using less metal. Back then I was heavy into reloading, so I noticed it checking hulls and culled them. Seemed to run in batches. All the shells worked okay though.

1KPerDay
September 14, 2008, 01:18 AM
Yep, remington express and federal pheasant loads. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "why would my Remington 1100 Magnum split cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!