What is the general consensus on the HK USP compact?

PDA

Jordan85
September 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
As some of you may know from my other posts, I am in the market for my first conceal carry weapon.

I shot the USP compact today and it felt great in my hands and lined up very naturally for me.

I was just wondering what the general consensus (pros and cons, durability, etc) the public had on this gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the general consensus on the HK USP compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wbwanzer
September 11, 2008, 08:52 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I had one in 9mm about 8 or 9 years ago. I could not shoot well with that gun at all compared to my S&W revolver. Got rid of it. At the time I bought it I also looked at the P7. Didn't get it because I thought it was too expensive. Wish I had gotten the P7. I'd probably still have it.

High Planes Drifter
September 11, 2008, 08:54 PM
Its a nice gun. My brother has one and its a really nice gun.

gotime242
September 11, 2008, 09:08 PM
My friend just got one due to H&K's pilot program (straight from hk @ $499 shipped)...but its the DAO model with LEM trigger. It has no safety and is in .40

I hate it. The LEM DAO trigger is horrible. And it just doesnt shoot naturally ::for me:: I would need a lot more practice to group anything close to what i shoot with what seems to be most guns out there.

I really think its a nice, quality, good looking gun, but i would have to get it in DA/SA, with the standard safety, and probably in 9mm.

SouthpawShootr
September 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have 2. One in 9mm. One in .40. They're nice, high quality, but IMO a bit overpriced. I left both of mine standard variant 1. My father had his 9mm converted to LEM after getting a P2000. I don't like the LEM. Just my preference. I don't care for the DAK in the Sig line either.

twofourthree73
September 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have one in 9mm. It's solidly made, ultra reliable. I have not had one malfunction in over 10 years. I've put maybe 1500 rounds through it and it still looks and feels brand new. It's not an ideal carry gun as it's bulky and a little heavy. The trigger is a little rough and heavy and I've never shot well with it, but that's probably due to operator error more than anything. I'm used to rifle accuracy and my ruger mark II which can hit a pop can at 50 yards, so a short barrel defensive pistol never impresses me in the accuracy department.

Khyron
September 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
I got my USPc 9mm back in June and have since taken it to a 4 day pistol course where I fired 2000 rounds through it with no problems. Knocked it around and dumped it in the dirt several times as well. I dont think its too bulky for carry with a cover garment like an unbuttoned, button down shirt. For warmer weather when I'm only wearing a tshirt I carry a P7 IWB. Anyway I shoot the USPc pretty well now although I'm sure a pistol with 5 inch barrel is probably more accurate but we are not talking about full size service weapons here. I've got the version 1 so I can carry in condition 1 which is great. I dont like the DA trigger pull but then again I dont like the double action pull on any DA/SA pistol. The only thing strange about it is when on reloading if I slam a new mag in forceably it usually drops the slide. Doesnt bother me.

skinewmexico
September 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
10 years and 1500 rounds? You need to shoot more.

10-Ring
September 11, 2008, 10:24 PM
I've had one for 7 years in 9mm -- almost 9000 rounds. I prefer the fullsize bigger brother, but no real complaints.
I wouldn't mind adding a compact 45 to the stable :cool:

usp9
September 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
A very high quality, reliable pistol, the USPc. For concealed carry I use the slightly smaller P2000SK though.

I shot the USP compact today and it felt great in my hands and lined up very naturally for me.

Sounds like a match made... go for it.

30-06 lover
September 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
The USP is somewhat large for a "compact", but it is a fine pistol. You may want to think about that for carry pistol.

I have a full size and my friend a compact. They have both been 100% reliable thus far. They are more expensive than many other ultra reliable pistols, but the USP was what I wanted therefore worth it for me.

gbelleh
September 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
I love my USP .45c. It's my winter carry gun. It's been 100% reliable and is extremely accurate.

Tribal
September 12, 2008, 12:11 AM
I've got a USPc9 and while it's a great shooter and one of the guns with which I'm most accurate, it's not all that great for concealed carry unless you normally wear very baggy clothes or bulky jacket. For concealment of something that size, I prefer a Hi-Power or a 1911, although a Kahr or a single-stack Glock* might be okay.

*GLOCK. Whatever.

Exmasonite
September 12, 2008, 12:28 AM
General consensus on an internet gun board, eh? Pretty lofty expectations.

On a serious note, the HK is a very nice gun. My buddy has one in 9mm and has had no problems with it. I enjoy shooting it given the opportunity. That being said, here are my 2 big concerns about it:

1) Cost. Not sure it's worth that $$.

2) If you ever were to have an issue with it (which are reportedly rare), HK customer service is rumored to be very problematic.

gc70
September 12, 2008, 01:31 AM
Jordan85, here is something to consider: in comparison to a Sig 239, the USPc is 0.21" longer, has a 0.1" shorter height (with a flat magazine floor plate), is approximately the same width, is 4 ounces lighter (unloaded), and holds 5 more rounds in 9mm. I can't say much about a direct concealed carry comparison because I am waiting for a holster for the USPc. :o

bwavec
September 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
The USP series (both full size and compact) has been nothing less than 100% reliable for me. I have thousands of rounds through both the USP & USP compact, 0 failures. I have trusted my life to these pistols. 100 % Reliability (with very little care) is a very desirable for a carry weapon. I know I can count on my HK's.

markk
September 12, 2008, 04:13 AM
I have the USPc .45 and love it, a great pistol.

VARifleman
September 12, 2008, 04:34 AM
One friend of mine had a USPc .45. I would have to qualify my thoughts of the pistols as overwhelmingly mediocre. For what you would spend on a USP, you can pick up something quite a bit better.

But then again, I suck and they hate me. :neener:

Redlg155
September 12, 2008, 05:56 AM
I've owned 2 HK USP Compacts, .40 and .45 in my life and eventually sold both. It wasn't because they weren't good pistols, in fact they were excellent, I just didn't like the trigger pull.

I now own a HK P2000sk in .40 and absolutely love it. Although many dislike the V2 LEM trigger, I think it was a purchasing point for my individual weapon. Smooth through 3/4 of the length of travel with about 2 lbs of resistance followed by a stacking (approx 6 lbs) before the hammer releases. It's not a target trigger, but for a concealed carry weapon it is perfect. I'd venture to say that if you put two new shooters side by side , one with the LEM trigger and one with the standard DA first trigger pull of a USP, I'd bet money that the LEM shooter would have a higher first shot probability. Every USP that I've come across had a horrible DA trigger pull. But then this is my personal experience. There may be others that are satisfied with the first DA shot on the USP C.

crankshop1000
September 12, 2008, 07:58 AM
Since you said carry pistol, I dumped my USPc for a Colt Defender. MUCH lighter and easier to conceal.I liked the trigger option on mine, but didn't like the trigger feel either sa or da. You might also look at the Springfield Micro Compact in .45 or an EMP in 9mm before you jump on the HK platform.

onebigelf
September 12, 2008, 08:42 AM
USP 45 was my issue sidearm in the service. Good, accurate, reliable pistol. Loved the nite sights.

John

Disaster
September 12, 2008, 08:46 AM
A lot of compacts, based on full sized service pistols, have the same issue...they are pretty thick. I find that their main advantage is their shorter grip, but a thinner gun is considerably more concealable.

Wish more companies would come out with modern single stacks....like the Walther PPS or the Kahr PM9.

jehu
September 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
It's a fine weapon but I would take a hard look at the P2000Sk for carry!

benderx4
September 12, 2008, 10:24 AM
First of all, take my opinions with a grain of salt. I currently own 8 HKs so I am a HUGE fan.

My USPc 45 is a sweet shooting 45 that has never had a failure - ever. Probably over 5000 rounds through that puppy.

I have to agree with the posters who recommend the P2000sk for carry, however. Smaller, available in 9mm or 40SW, very accurate, and still available in a number of variants. (LEM, DA/SA, etc.) Mine is Variant 3 and it took awhile, but now I LOVE the decocker next to the hammer.

As for price, out of all my HKs, the ONLY one I bought new was the P2000sk - at a gun show - awesome deal. All the others are used and in amazing shape. My experience has been that HK owners tend to take care of their guns - plus the guns themselves are indestructible.

Finally, my carry gun lately has been a HK P7. You might want to get one of these while you can - no longer made. Dimensions very close to a Walther PPS, 8+1 in 9mm. They heat up after 50 rounds but who cares if you use it for carry and practice occasionally. Plus, they only go up in value so it's a great investment!

Good luck with your decision!!

Shipwreck
September 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
I really like mine!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/chomer5copy.jpg

REPOMAN
September 12, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've got an 8 yr old H&K USPc .40 w/ many thousand rounds downrange and many "character" scuffs and dings..... Not the first hiccup.....No FTF's, FTE's just good dependable shooting.... Alot of $$$$$ but well worth it IMHO......
JUST MY.02

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the general consensus on the HK USP compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!