I scored

PDA

calaverasslim
September 12, 2008, 12:09 AM
A S&W M21, polished stainless steel, NIB with a 4" barrel. 44 special :D

UUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

I just know I'm gonna luv it. :D

It'll be here in a day or 2.

If you enjoyed reading about "I scored" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
35Rem
September 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't a Model 21 be Nickle Plated?
If so, be careful with what you use to clean it. Some cleaners will attack the plating and make it come off. (Ammonia based stuff, I think)

Shade00
September 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
Break-Free CLP is 100% safe on nickel guns. It's the only thing I use on mine.

calaverasslim
September 12, 2008, 12:07 PM
That is the same question I asked the dealer. His answer is that they made a polished stainless steel model for a short time. If it gets here and turns out to be nickel, I am gonna raise heck......:scrutiny::(

texas bulldog
September 12, 2008, 12:34 PM
pics please.

calaverasslim
September 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
Just got the gun and okey-dokey. I am a happy camper. Just had to step outside the back door and give it a little work out. About 50 rounds of jacketed and cast bullets. 200gr up to 246gr. LRN. It really likes the 200gr GDHP by speer in their aluminium case. Tried some with 700X and W231. Loves the 231.

The small RB grips are just too small for my hands so am gonna have to put some Pachmyers on it. I checked it pretty good and it is indeed a polished stainless. I firmly believe that and my gunsmith checked it pretty good and agrees.

Pix tomorrow. :D

All in all, just a great shooter and course I'm partial to the 44 special anyway.

Strongly recommend this for a carry piece while hunting or hiking. ;)

Bullet Bob
September 13, 2008, 08:00 PM
"it is indeed a polished stainless."

I believe if you call S&W customer service and give them the serial number, you will get a different answer.

machinisttx
September 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
"it is indeed a polished stainless."

I believe if you call S&W customer service and give them the serial number, you will get a different answer.

+1 to this.

Any stainless S&W revolver will have a 6 at the beginning of the model number.

Specific info.

The M21 was built on a square butt frame, and has an "S" serial prefix. Approximately 1200 manufactured between 1958 and 1966, when it was discontinued at the -2 change. Nickle is a scarce variation on an already scarce gun.

In 2004, S&W reintroduced the M21 as the M21-4 on a round butt frame. Nickel finish was/is an option.

Shade00
September 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm going to have to see pictures to believe it. I'm skeptical.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 14, 2008, 06:02 AM
How did your gunsmith check to see if your piece is indeed stainless? Not that it matters. So what if the M-21 is not stainless?

Shooting iron is better made from carbon steel. Some people may disagree but I believe carbon steel guns are more durable and black guns are prettier. Good score.

Shade00
September 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Are the hammer and trigger 'white' or case colored? Might be an easy way to tell....

Phydeaux642
September 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
If I may be so bold as to ask you what you paid for it? I'm just curious because the S&W Standard Catalog says it is too rare to put a value on it. They do say that it would probably be in the low four figures, though. And, the way I read it, the gun has to be nickel. A stainless version was never offered.

calaverasslim
September 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
:uhoh:

Now you fellers got me worried. I guess the best way to tell is to call the S&W Company.

I/we looked down the barrel, took the grips off to check the grip frame, checked the cylinder, and I can't believe they would nickel plate the inside of the barrel and it would remain nickel plated after almost a hundred rounds. The inside of the bore, inside of the cylinder and under the grip frame shore looks stainless to me and just to compare I compared it to my M65 and it shore looks the same everywhere it should be worn.

But, the label on the box doesn't say nickel or stainless. Just sez:

06-a2-lg-gw-bt-sf-sb-fc-cc

Whatever that means.

CCH trigger and Hammer and the rest is, I believe, stainless. But like I said, gonna call taxachuttes inna morning.

:D

Photoman
September 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
I wish they would make a re-introduction M21 in stainless!

SaxonPig
September 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
I believe your gun has been refinished in a hard chrome or something similar. There is no such thing as a stainless M21 to my knowledge and all stainless S&Ws have stainless hammers and triggers, not case hardened as you say yours has.

This M64 is in stainless and note the H/T.

http://www.fototime.com/1C758B07D0C2E58/standard.jpg

You said were happy with the gun. But you should know what you have. And any dealer selling it should know better than to lie to you about some mythical special run of stainless guns.

popeye
September 14, 2008, 06:54 PM
I think he's talking about the 21 repros from Smith

SaxonPig
September 14, 2008, 08:17 PM
So am I. Blued or nickel as far as I know. No stainless.

Shade00
September 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
S&W wouldn't make a stainless gun without a 6 out in front. It's either hard chromed as suggested earlier, or it's actually nickel.

machinisttx
September 14, 2008, 09:47 PM
all stainless S&Ws have stainless hammers and triggers,

Um, no, they don't. Older stainless guns(such as the one in your picture) had chrome plated hammers and triggers. Later on, they started coming with color case hardened hammers/triggers. Later still, they were simply MIM.

machinisttx
September 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
and I can't believe they would nickel plate the inside of the barrel

The inside of the barrel isn't nickel plated.

XavierBreath
September 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
Later on, they started coming with color case hardened hammers/triggers. I wasn't aware of that...... Interesting.

I believe the proper term for the plating on the stainless steel revolver's lockwork was "flash chromed." Now just what that means, I don't know.......

To stir the pot a bit, I'll toss in a pic of this S&W Model 67-1. Note the pinned barrel which dates the gun, but then, the color case hardened lockwork.

http://www.bayourovers.com/SmithWessonModel67-1.jpg

Actually, I cheated....... I replaced the lockwork....... Don't assume anything on a used gun.

machinisttx
September 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
Actually, I cheated....... I replaced the lockwork....... Don't assume anything on a used gun.

Yep, that looks like a target hammer and target trigger---neither of which were ever offered from the factory on the 67.

You're correct on the proper term being "flash chromed".

I think the "color case hardening" is simply discoloration on the MIM triggers of my late model guns--so I may be wrong on that. MIM triggers appear to have become standard in 1997 though.

It is safe to say you should never bet on anything with older S&W's though.

popeye
September 15, 2008, 09:28 PM
So is the adj. sight on my 66 no dash 2.5" "flash chromed"? If so my world is rocked, shocked, and topsy turvey, or worse.

XavierBreath
September 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
If you remove the rear sight, you will find a small "s' stamped into it's underside meaning stainless. Early Model 66s had stainless rear sights. Here's one.

http://www.bayourovers.com/SmithandPearlsModel66.jpg

popeye
September 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
Xavier: Thanks, now I can relax. That was close.

If you enjoyed reading about "I scored" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!