Kel-Tec PF9... anything similar?

PDA

j_charles
September 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
Is there anything out there similar to the PF9 in terms of size, weight, concealability (pocket-carriable especially), etc, specifically in 9mm? I'm obviously looking for CCW, and just want to make sure I have my bases covered in terms of what's available.

FWIW I haven't made any decisions to buy a Kel-Tec as of this minute, so comments consisting only of "Kel-Tec is junk, get a 1911 instead" don't really help. I just used it as an example since as far as I know it's (and I quote) "the smallest and lightest 9mm pistol ever made."

So, what say the all-knowing sages of THR?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec PF9... anything similar?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dontshakepandas
September 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
I was looking at the PF-9, but after reading about it I wasn't willing to take the risk. It also just felt cheap to me. The number one thing that kept me from buying it, is that most people that had it, just plain didn't like shooting it.

I ended up with a Walther PPS in 9mm. The size is almost the same, and it has 6,7, and 8 round mags available so you can change the mag capacity depending on how much concealment you want. The PPS is a JOY to shoot, and it is extremely accurate.

http://www.walther-pps.com/
This website will give you a pretty good look at it. There is a good size comparison photo of it with a Walther PPK in the technical data section.

It is a bit pricey compared to the PF-9, but I'd rather have the security of knowing I have a better carry gun, than the few extra bills in my wallet.

ice monkey
September 12, 2008, 01:50 PM
This might help: http://www.mouseguns.com/9mmtable.htm

If you have the money how nice would it be to own the Rohrbaugh!

jocko
September 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
dontshakepandas

a wise decision, IMO.

steelyblue
September 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
My Kel-tec pf9 was the best gun buy I could have made. I found a Colt King Cobra at a pawn shop and traded it plus $20. Check it out, it's a tack driver. Oh, BTW, 357 mags out of this baby don't kick half as much as that pf9 did!!!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ssballow/colt011.jpg

Dan-O
September 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
Heck, if you are going to go there then I vote for my Charter .44.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2741.jpg

Don357
September 13, 2008, 01:00 AM
There are a couple of Kel-Tec knockoffs such as the Skyy and the Cobra. They look like Kel-Tec's. Then there's compact 1911s from Para, like the LDA. I think Kimber makes a sub-compact 1911 9mm. But if you're lucky and can find one a Firestar or Firestar plus is a really nice (especially in the Starvel finish), very accurate small 9mm. I had the Firestar Plus and like an idiot I traded it for a series of unmentionable mistakes.

steelyblue
September 13, 2008, 01:03 AM
( Dan-O )Well, I only went there because I traded a pf9 for it and they are going for $699 and up in a lot of places. I was trying to stay with the OP, but anything to post something....lol. Not fair anyway(going up in caliber on me)

-v-
September 13, 2008, 01:19 AM
Umm, how about a Khar in 9mm? Size-wise almost exactly the same size as a KT.

Dollar An Hour
September 13, 2008, 01:51 AM
I'm a big Kahr PM9 fan. Quality construction, smooth DAO trigger that lends itself to carry very well IMO.

I was a major J-Frame fan for a long time, but my PM9 has put the J-Frames on the back burner in my carry rotation. :)

jocko
September 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
V:

actually the PM9 is a wee bit smaller even. and much higher in quality also.

Papaster
September 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
+1 for Kahr

littlelefty
September 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
I picked up a used Kel Tek P11; the slightly larger, earlier 9mm. Holds 10+1 and got it for under $200.
Correct - not something I enjoy shooting a lot. But, after getting convinced that it was reliable I now take it along on each range trip and run a magazine or two thruit to stay proficient with it.
It is great for carry though, which I do usually IWB with a Hume 715, and sometimes in pocket in a Desantis Nemesis. It's a little chunky to me in my pocket, but it does work and I've not been made yet.

MCgunner
September 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
Oh, no, don't buy one, get a Korth (or insert XYZ unrelated firearm of your choice). :rolleyes: My P11 is fun to shoot. I put 100 rounds through it, usually, at a sitting. I find the finger extension on one of my magazines and the Hogue Handall fingergroove sleeve I have on it helps with extended range sessions. That gun gets carried probably 70 or 80 percent of my carry. I will occasionally get in a .38 snub mood.

If you wanna spend the extra money, IMHO, you get no more, perhaps LESS gun with a Kahr, and if you're filthy rich, in the J Paul Getty tradition, there's the Rohrbaugh. I can't drive a Rohrbaugh to work, so I ain't spending that kinda money on it.

tinygnat219
September 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
One other thing about the Rohrbaugh, it can't fire +P rounds, and the recoil spring has to be changed out after 100 rounds.

kitsapcharly
September 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
I have a Kel-Tec P-11 as well as a couple of P-3ATs and both can be pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis but the 380 is smaller and often just rides in my watch pocket in certain pants so it's my main carry gun. Really my favorite gun is an XD-45c but the little 380 can go where nothing bigger can. Weight is a big issue. The 380 only weighs 11 ounces LOADED. Smaller and lighter than many 25-caliber vest pocket guns.
The P-11 now can hold 12-round magazines plus one up the spout. Same size...just redesigned. The one I have has never given trouble and customer service at Kel-Tec is good and they back up their warranties.
Another line to look at is Bersa. Their guns are much liked and company and service are reliable and very good to deal with. Most are not really pocket sized though.

Beskytte
September 14, 2008, 03:59 AM
I felt the same about the Kel-Tec PF9 as dontshakepandas. I just didn't like anything about it. If you want a concealment gun, Makarovs have good things said about them. Luckily Maks have plenty of clones out there for real cheap. I like the feg PA-63. You can get it the cheapest (I think), plus mags and ammo are cheap.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/feg-hungary/p/feg-pa-63-pistol%2C-9x18-caliber-vg-condition-/cPath/16_277/products_id/1258 here's a link for them, that's the cheapest I have found.
BTW, all my info is based on reviews and such I have found looking everywhere, I don't have all that much pistol experience.

MCgunner
September 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have a Kel-Tec P-11 as well as a couple of P-3ATs and both can be pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis but the 380 is smaller and often just rides in my watch pocket in certain pants so it's my main carry gun.

I have tossed around getting a P3AT or LCP, but I keep thinking I might be too tempted to carry the .380 as a primary. I really feel more comfortable carrying a service caliber like the 9x19 and the P11 is quite easy to carry all day in a pocket holster. It is a bit more comforting to carry with +P and all that firepower, if a little heavier.

CJ
September 14, 2008, 07:01 PM
The Taurus PT709 should be close, but it's due out this December (2008)...so who knows how many generations it might take to get right (a la the Millennium Pro series)...or if it will even be available in December.

dontshakepandas
September 15, 2008, 01:38 AM
I found these pictures on the Kel-tec forum and thought the OP or anybody else interested might find them helpful.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/dontshakepandas/pf9pps1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/dontshakepandas/pf9pps2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-Tec PF9... anything similar?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!