Broken Depriming Pin

PDA

ohman11
September 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
I have a Lee full length sizing die for .223 and the tip of the pin broke off. I will order another one but do you have any idea what other size might work so I can finish this brass I am working on. I have never broke one before so I am not sure which size to use. I have several pistol dies but only a few rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Broken Depriming Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ohman11
September 12, 2008, 06:19 PM
Never mind, I took one out of a .44 rem mag and it worked. I have a feeling they all are the same.

scrat
September 12, 2008, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the broken Depriming pin club

You are now a full fledge member

Sunray
September 12, 2008, 09:40 PM
"...took one out of a...and it worked..." It would. They're all the same size. A fine finishing nail, cut to size should work too.
RCBS would just send you a package with a phone call. I think Lee expects to be paid. Either way, you should be able to get a package of 'em in your local gun shop.

Der Verge
September 12, 2008, 09:46 PM
The best thing to have on your bench is the Lee decapping die. Works for any caliber, and you cannot break the pin. Worth every cent of the $10 I paid for it. Give it a try.

cliffy
September 12, 2008, 09:51 PM
Until you've broken a .223 caliber decapping Pin, you're a neophite reloader. I hold two extra full-length dies in reserve. I've broken three pins to date, and expect to break more before I die. Just part of decapping the small rifle primer. I don't know why this is, but it is. cliffy

bob k
September 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
Get an old "U" joint, the price is free. The needle bearings work for de-prime pins.

scrat
September 12, 2008, 10:53 PM
ok thats a new one. how do you pull the old pin. is it pressed in

ar10
September 12, 2008, 10:56 PM
The best thing to have on your bench is the Lee decapping die. Works for any caliber, and you cannot break the pin. Worth every cent of the $10 I paid for it. Give it a try.
Best money I've ever spent. I learned the hard way, decapping a Berdan with my Hornady die. It went through alright but snapped the pin, then proceeded to tear out the expander, followed by the bending the stem. I was new at reloading and never heard of Berdan. Now I light up every .308, .223, and 7.26x39mm case.

Sport45
September 12, 2008, 11:49 PM
Never mind, I took one out of a .44 rem mag and it worked. I have a feeling they all are the same.

Wasn't there a .224" expander button on the decapping rod for the .223Rem die? A decapping rod from a straight wall piistol die might take care of decapping, but you're missing a part of the resizing process.

(I know my .30 caliber Lee rifle dies have sizing buttons on the decapping rods, but have never had my .223Rem die apart to see.)

I'm with scrat on the needle bearing comment. Finding a replacement pin is no problem, but how in the world would a home mechanic replace one?

rcmodel
September 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
Here is a trick to cut down on broken pins.

Run a deprimed case up in the sizing die all the way. Now, back off the lock-nut, and screw the expander stem down until the pin goes through the flash hole in the case.

Rattle the threads around and then tighten the lock-nut.

This perfectly centers the threads in the die, and the pin in the flash hole.

If you just lock it down without a case centering the pin, it will very often be off center slightly, due to thread slop, and will have to spring over to hit the hole every time you size a case.

Sooner or later it misses the hole, and you break a pin again.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Broken Depriming Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!