A question to THR members.

PDA

45R
September 7, 2003, 08:44 PM
Hey I was doing some cleaning this evening and noticed that I've got a few pistol boxes laying around. You know funny looking plastic ones that come with the guns.

Now do you guys keep'em or toss'em. I am leaning toward chucking them out as they just take up space.

PS. Edit to add this. If yes why?

If you enjoyed reading about "A question to THR members." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
September 7, 2003, 09:03 PM
I keep all of mine. One day in the distant future that handgun along with the original box and paper work that came with it greatly increases resale value. Look at all the sales for handguns and compare the prices for just the handgun and the ones with box and papers.
The plastic boxes today also doubles as carrying cases.

BlackJack
September 7, 2003, 09:03 PM
Hey 45R. I'll take any you want to throw away and I'll pay postage for you to mail them to me.

m.i.sanders
September 7, 2003, 09:12 PM
I use mine to carry my guns to the range. Helps keep them from getting scratched.

J Miller
September 7, 2003, 09:13 PM
Yep, still got the wood presentation box my 25-5 came in, and the box my friends 29 came in.
Had the box to my K-38, went with the gun when I sold it.
I keep my rifle boxes too.

And yes, they do take up room.

Ala Dan
September 7, 2003, 09:15 PM
Greeting's All-

If you are speaking of the original firearms box that your
handgun, rifle, or shotgun was shipped in; then my vote
would be YES, I do keep all of them! Along with all
the paperwork (bill of sale, warranty card, NRA ads, etc.)
that comes with them. You ask, "Why"? My reply is; "Why
Not"? Here is the reason, if you ever decided to sell, trade,
or barter that weapon off; then the new owner most likely
would want to receive the firearm in its original configuration,
including the box, owner's manual, and other paper-
work as mentioned. In return, I know that I would expect
the same.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

45R
September 7, 2003, 09:31 PM
Hey Tamara were you at? :)

hksw
September 7, 2003, 09:46 PM
For the newer ones that form to the gun or to a generic gun shape and have sturdy hinges and clasps, yes.

For the ones that are plain boxes with eggcrate foam and crappy simple folded over plastic and flimsy clasps, I've thrown out a few.

For the corrugated cardboard ones, I cut out the barcode/serial number and toss it out.

For the nicer thick cardboard like the early SIG boxes, I save.

Like you, space is an issue for me, but I can't get myself to unload a good gun box.

P95Carry
September 7, 2003, 10:05 PM
Way back .. I tended not to - but re thought that. Many of mine are gray Ruger ones ... always keep those but also think it's worth keeping any box .... in the (unlikely) event of selling ... it is way better to have a box .. in a few cases, even increases value.

Pain storing them i know but .... IMO ...... necessary.

Okiecruffler
September 7, 2003, 10:29 PM
Yes, for the reasons already mentioned. Trade value is higher if you still have the box. I even have a few boxes that I no longer have guns for due to some trades/sells while at the range.

cool45auto
September 7, 2003, 10:35 PM
Yep, all the boxes and all the paperwork.

C.R.Sam
September 7, 2003, 11:05 PM
Keep some for future sale with gun....maby.
Throw some.
Even sell some empty boxes.

Sam

KarlG
September 8, 2003, 01:13 AM
Got a S&W model 60 that my dad (deceased last year) purchased in the 1970's. It had the box, cleaning supplies, spare parts price list, manual, receipt, and even the brown S&W paper the thing was wrapped in from the factory. I thought it was pretty cool that he kept all of that. My son can have it complete with box when he is old enough. I also keep the boxes and paperwork from the guns I purchase.

JeepDriver
September 8, 2003, 04:38 PM
Yes I keep them

Why ? I don't know.

Right now they are piling up in a closet, Maybe when I get a bigger safe I'll use them to store the safe queens

El Tejon
September 8, 2003, 04:41 PM
Out you go.

I have enough clutter in my life.:)

Pappy John
September 8, 2003, 04:54 PM
I used to toss them...had a really small place and never really thought of selling any of my guns. I did sell a couple over the years though, and might have done better if they were boxed. Now I have a bigger place and wish I had every box that I ever threw out....just in case.

Skunkabilly
September 8, 2003, 05:31 PM
I tossed all the long gun stuff but shoulda kept it. I keep them all for my pistols cuz they're small and easy enough to store.

Deepdiver
September 8, 2003, 05:43 PM
I keep the boxes and all the paper (and even the decals and stuff) that comes in 'em. Likes been said - trade value is higher with all the stuff.

Schuey2002
September 8, 2003, 05:59 PM
I still have all my original gun boxes.

(They might be worth sumpfin' in 50 years or so..) :o

chaim
September 8, 2003, 06:11 PM
Keep em, pretty much the same reasons already mentioned. Higher resale if I ever sell, even without higher resale it makes them easy to transport should I sell, short-term storage, the plastic ones make a good way to get the guns I'm bringing to the range and to transport them (though depending on how many I'm bringing I may put them into a holster or soft case and throw them in my bag to save space). I usually keep my long-gun boxes too. I always used to, though my Ruger 10/22 for some reason no longer had its box when I decided to sell it (I must have thrown it out- arrgh).

BryanP
September 8, 2003, 06:17 PM
Depends on the box. Quality plastic or wood? (Sig, Ruger, etc...) Yes. Crappy cardboard boxes (Taurus, Marlin), no. I put those in cheap plastic cases at the very least. I do keep the documentation, including bill of sale, usually stashed under the padding inside the new plastic box. I'm not a collector, I just buy things I want.

HankL
September 8, 2003, 09:27 PM
I don't know why I keep those boxes because I don't sell any firearms. Perhaps after I'm dead and gone someone will sort it all out.
Just nice to have the crappy cardpaper box and most of a box of ammo for granny's little pislola.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pec3967b5e4a1b03ef0dce18023682a3d/fb246bb6.jpg

Tamara
September 9, 2003, 03:30 AM
The guy I bought my 5-screw M&P from offered to knock $25 off the price if I didn't want the gold & blue box. I told him that I'd prefer to have it, too. :)

denfoote
September 9, 2003, 07:34 AM
Auhhhh, because they still have the pistols in them???? :rolleyes:

Dorrin79
September 9, 2003, 10:39 AM
I keep my plastic boxes, mainly on the off chance that I decide to sell or trade one of my pistols.

Not that I expect to...

:D

Smoke
September 9, 2003, 11:05 AM
I keep mine. Might need to ship it to factory for repairs. Might sell the gun.
(I have done that once or twice)

If you don't keep them, which I can understand. Turn them into cash on Ebay. I see them for sale all the time. Somebody wants them.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question to THR members." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!