Replacing grips on a 1945 Sistema

PDA

otter
September 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have a 1945 build date Sistema(Colt) 45 it is all original numbers matching, I picked up a set of rubber grips on ebay and they should make it feel better and improve handling. I will keep the original grips of course to return it to original if/when I need/want to. Here is my problem: I take the grip screws out and the grips don't come off! I can stick a screwdriver in the magazine area and pry on them from the inside and they don't budge, I don't want to pry on them from the outside because I don't want to scratch the finish. Is there something else holding them on? It looks like there might almost be a tiny sleeve or retainer in the screw bushing that has flared out over the years and is keeping the grips from coming off. I went on you-tube and watched videos of colt 45 disassemblies and the grips just pop off when the screws are removed. I would like to put some crimson trace laser grips on later but these were so cheap I couldn't pass them up, if I can't get them off I will probably just by another 1911 to modify as this one is a classic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing grips on a 1945 Sistema" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mad Magyar
September 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
Is that on both sides?

Gordon Fink
September 13, 2008, 08:17 PM
The grips may be stuck in place by whatever goop has seeped under them over the years. Try a little whack with a hammer and dowel through the magazine well.

~G. Fink

otter
September 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
yeah, both sides, I will try with a little more vigor

Mad Magyar
September 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
yeah, both sides, I will try with a little more vigor

Yes, and when you get tired of it: sell it to me....:D

otter
September 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
Got the new grips on, they do feel better, but now I want some Crimson Trace Laser Grips for the old girl.

otter
September 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
Now I still want to add a beavertail safety, commander style hammer and an adjustable/nice looking trigger. The pistol came with 2 or 3 other slides and barrels all very old, I will have to see which barrel shoots best, I will of course keep all the original numbers matching parts for collector value. Recently a friend of mine's friend's dad died and left him a collection of weapons, he has 1 colt 45 and a 9mm 1911, all the stuff is older too and maybe I can modify something from the 1970's instead of messing with something from the 1940's

Mad Magyar
September 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
Ron, nice pistol. Let us know how it shoots...Does it have the matching mag by chance? Probably not, but who knows? Many Sistema's owners didn't know they originally had 2 mags that matched....

otter
September 16, 2008, 12:28 AM
Unfortunately the mag is the only non-original part, need to get a day off when the range is open, haven't shot in years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing grips on a 1945 Sistema" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!