El Mariachi vs. Desperado

PDA

Lightsped
September 7, 2003, 11:03 PM
I own the Desperado DVD, and I like the movie quite a bit. It has good action, and is very funny in places. I was going to get El Mariachi, but some people have said that El Mariachi is nearly the exact same movie, just with different actors.

My question is; If I own Desperado, should I buy the El Mariachi DVD? How does the action, and gun play compare? Is the El Mariachi story really the same with the same locations and all, just different actors?

If you enjoyed reading about "El Mariachi vs. Desperado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lord Grey Boots
September 7, 2003, 11:16 PM
El Mariachi is the original. It was made for a few hundred thousand bucks (if that much), one camera, with unpaid actors in their own clothes and guns borrowed from the local cops.

Its clever, and a great movie.

Desperado was the remake with Antonio Banderas, Helma Sayak, and a real budget.

I found both to be enjoyable. I'd get both DVDs. In fact, if El Mariachi is out on DVD, I'll add it to my list...

Justin
September 7, 2003, 11:22 PM
El Mariachi was made by Robert Rodriguez for a budget of roughly $7,000 and with borrowed camera gear. It's a fantastic study in doing a lot with very little. If you're into quirky indy flicks, it's good, with lots of heart and no glitz.

Desperado is the same movie with a Hollywood style budget, so comparing the action/acting/production quality of the two really can't be done because their productions were so radically different.

Oh, and this thread is OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "El Mariachi vs. Desperado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!