mossberg front pistol grip install help

PDA

cordog21
September 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
hi.....i just bought a front pistol grip for my mossberg mavarick88 12gauge pump.....i cant figure out how to take the old for-grip off the gun....does any one know how to do this?
thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "mossberg front pistol grip install help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shevrock
September 13, 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know about the maverick 88. but i think in the Mossberg you have to disassemble it and pull the fore grip of[ which means the thing that goes into the back that's connected to it. if the fpg has something that goes back a little ways, then disassemble, and replace old fore grip. if not i have no idea.

cordog21
September 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
ok thanks. i'll take all the help i can get

rantingredneck
September 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
You'll see a slotted nut on the front of the forend. You'll have to either have a spanner wrench (to do it the proper way) or improvise a tool that will engage the slots on either side of that nut (on either side of the forend). Remove the nut, old forend slides forward off the action slide assembly.

kcshooter
September 13, 2008, 11:58 PM
I don't think the mavericks were able to have the front pistol grip installed. From what I remember when I was working on a few of these, the 500 foreend is different than the 88 foreend.

rantingredneck
September 14, 2008, 12:01 AM
Different in what way?

mossberg went through two different size action slide assemblies and thus two different size/type of foreends. I think the changeover was circa 1996 but don't quote me on that.

Are the Maverick's sized differently?

kcshooter
September 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
It's not the size, I think it had to do with the way the action bars were attached.

Yep, I checked ati's website real quick and the pistol grips fit only the older 500 and the 590's, none of the mavericks.

rantingredneck
September 14, 2008, 12:11 AM
Well there you go then. :D.

Probably not the end of the world for the OP. Front pistol grips aren't terribly useful and ATI's stuff is not terribly well made.

kcshooter
September 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
Front pistol grips aren't terribly useful and ATI's stuff is not terribly well made. Agreed!

If you enjoyed reading about "mossberg front pistol grip install help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!