What rifles can be built entirely from scratch?

PDA

joe_kidd
September 14, 2008, 03:31 AM
Can anyone give me the names of any rifles (or even handguns) that can be built entirely from aftermarket parts?

As I understand it, the 10/22 is one such rifle, but are there more?

If you enjoyed reading about "What rifles can be built entirely from scratch?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ragnar Danneskjold
September 14, 2008, 03:36 AM
Ar 15

Rubber_Duck
September 14, 2008, 03:38 AM
AR-15 and 1911 come to mind.

TAB
September 14, 2008, 03:38 AM
a 1911 Style pistol.

R.W.Dale
September 14, 2008, 03:39 AM
I'm gonna guess that you're looking for guns that can be built from parts that require no machining. Because if not other than legal issues there isn't anything stopping a good machinist from building anything under the sun

AR15's can be built as purely aftermarket pieces

If you consider ordering just an action from Savage as kosher then all other parts can be ordered from various vendors and assembled without machining as well

AK variants routinely get built up starting nothing more than a flat piece of sheetmetal with a SN# and a few holes http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp

xd45gaper
September 14, 2008, 03:39 AM
1911's, AR's, AK's, Sten's, FAL's, H&K's... im sure ther are many many more that come to the US as parts kits, excluding the AR and 1911's....

Ash
September 14, 2008, 09:22 AM
But all of them will have a serial-numbered receiver. So, it's not like you can build up a rifle from mail-order parts without an FFL being used in some fashion (unless you get the receiver from a private sale).

Ash

WhisperFan
September 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
But all of them will have a serial-numbered receiver. So, it's not like you can build up a rifle from mail-order parts without an FFL being used in some fashion (unless you get the receiver from a private sale).

Ash

That is true - unless you finish an 80% receiver or make the receiver from scratch (which wouldn't be too hard for guns like the 10/22)

skinewmexico
September 14, 2008, 10:18 AM
Savage

Monkeybear
September 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
From scratch? Well lots of rifles can be made from parts like ARs, AKs, FALs and HKs but if you mean from "scratch" then you better be a machinist. I know that some machinist have made their own .50 cal rifles and you can even find a few books on it.

Ian
September 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
If you just mean from all third-party components, I think it's pretty much just the 10/22, AR-15, and 1911.

dakotasin
September 14, 2008, 12:18 PM
any bolt gun you can think of. a bolt gun is a very simple machine requiring few parts...

mgregg85
September 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
I believe you could build yourself a glock.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
ANY of them may be built from scratch if you have the machinery and the skill, except that full-auto ones cannot be legally built in the USA (since 1986). If you mean assembled from parts, then you're already getting answers to that. :) :p

scythefwd
September 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
The garand can be built from "scratch" using parts found over the internet. I have found barrels, trigger groups, stocks, sights, bolt groups fully assembled, recievers, op rods, gas tubes, everything I would need.

VARifleman
September 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
I believe you could build yourself a glock.
You can rebuild a glock completely, or you can build one up from one of the metal frames recently available, but the polymer frames aren't available by themselves unless you find someone that has stripped it down completely.

Neckshot5seven
September 14, 2008, 05:14 PM
Mauser 98's !!! Mine started as just an Action.

Run&Shoot
September 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
From individually purchased parts at either OEM or third party:
- Mauser 98
- Savage 110
- Glock (yes you can buy a stainless steel frame from third party)
- probably a Hi-Power
- AR15
- AK
- FAL
- M1 Garand
- M14 semi
- probably an M1 carbine
- probably a Colt SAA clone

JFettig
September 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
I hoped this thread was asking about stuff like this.... :D
http://stuff.jfettigmachines.com/ar15/milling/tn_day5.jpg

Jon

Hoppy590
September 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
roll your own AK or G3 reciver

mill out an 80% AR or 1911

hen assemble the rest

jburnett
September 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I was kinda hoping this was going to turn into a machining thread too... :(

The truth is, with a Bridgeport (or other good verticle mill) and a lathe with proper tooling ANY firearm can be built from a chunk of billet...Aluminum or alloy steel... :D
-J.Burnett

Bubbles
September 16, 2008, 11:58 AM
Easiest "from scratch" we've found are AK's, 1919's, and M2's.

elmerfudd
September 16, 2008, 12:25 PM
The way I see it, if you're buying parts, then you're not building from scratch. That's just assembling a rifle from parts and you can do it with virtually any design so long as you can find the parts.

As far as actually building from scratch, I think the only thing I'd be comfortable making would be a handgonne or a short-barreled matchlock. Making a barrel longer than a foot or so, or making a rifled barrel would be a real challenge.

Tarvis
September 16, 2008, 12:31 PM
There is a thread over at arfcom about how to finish an AR receiver, which I believe you can get without a serial number and no holes drilled, making it an unfinished rifle. All you need is a drill press (iirc) and possibly some paperwork from the ATF. I believe you can do this legally if you never sell it. It is a bit of work though, and like any other rifle you can build yourself, without the know how and the proper tools and specs, you'll end up with a firearm worth what you have into it. Hand fitted 1911's are expensive for a reason.

JFettig
September 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
Here is a pic of the one I linked above completed:
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=590

This one I made everything but the mag, grip, LPK, buffer spring, buffer, upper, charging handle and stock(I made everything not black except for the barrel).
http://stuff.jfettigmachines.com/ar15/ar9/feedramp/tn_IMG_1341.jpg
I even made the chambering reamer and headspace gauges. The lower was machined from a 0% forging.

Jon

Hoppy590
September 16, 2008, 04:55 PM
0% forging.

aka, billet haha.

you made the bolt and carrier too? can we see some pics of that?

KiltedClaymore
September 16, 2008, 05:02 PM
a TT-33 can be thrown together in afew hours of fiddling. you can even order all the parts from the same website! the frame has to go thru an FFL though, so ya might want to order that separate(spelling?) from the other bits.

JFettig
September 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hoppy. a 0% forging is not billet, the one I previously pictured that was half machined is billet.

I made the bolt(no carrier, its straight blowback).
best pic I have of the bolt thats hosted...
http://stuff.jfettigmachines.com/ar15/ar9/tn_ar9%20(5).JPG

Jon

Hoppy590
September 16, 2008, 10:58 PM
the one I previously pictured that was half machined is billet.

ah, thats what i was going by.

but whats the difference?

Cosmoline
September 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
Mauser 98's certainly.

xx7grant7x
September 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
an all stainless AR-15 would be sweet

September 17, 2008, 12:01 AM
When y'all say H&K's..

Does that include MP5? If it does can I get some info on that, or some good websites perhaps?

If only there was a website like ar15.com for all my guns I want/have. :x

zinj
September 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
IIRC you can actually buy some high-end SXS shotgun actions in the white, along with barrel sets. You better be prepared to drop several K though, plus the barrels need to be fitted to the action.

Nolo
September 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Khyber Pass...

MD_Willington
September 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
AK flats don't have serial numbers... they're just that, a flat hunk of sheetmetal.

ElToro
September 17, 2008, 01:21 AM
my 1893 mauser action, bought for 100$, re-heat treated by the Turks in the 1930's to take 8mm mauser, then re-barreled to .308 with a 20 inch barrel. got a choate stock on it. legally it isnt even a firearm since i can document it was made prior to 1899. got a little 2-7 VXII on it and it drives tacks. give me all the grief you want about a weak action and .308 pressures, but ive put hundreds of NATO surplus 7.62 and commercial .308 ammo through it and it shows no signs of pressure. ugly as sin and it shoots. it will be one for my grandkids when the end times come

i have another action and im debating to go 7mm mauser or someting old school. maybe .35 rem.
or probly another .308 but maybe i'll cough up for a nice wood stock.

jburnett
September 18, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm assuming his "0% forging" was a forged AR receiver sans ANY machine operations... The forge (ie., pound the ***** out of) raw aluminum to get the basic outline/dimensions/shape of the lower and THEN machine away all that isn't necessary.... I've done this on a couple of raw BAR forgings when I had the opportunity to do some machining for a C2...
-J.Burnett

rice
September 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
An UZI is fairly straightforward to weld up.

mgregg85
September 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
You can rebuild a glock completely, or you can build one up from one of the metal frames recently available, but the polymer frames aren't available by themselves unless you find someone that has stripped it down completely.

CCF sells the aluminum frames.

If you enjoyed reading about "What rifles can be built entirely from scratch?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!