Pulp Fiction - gunplay good?

PDA

Lightsped
September 8, 2003, 09:23 AM
Ok, so I am like one of three or four people who has never seen Pulp Fiction.

I am considering buying the DVD, but want to know how the gunplay/action is. What makes this movie so well known? Is it worth buying the DVD?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulp Fiction - gunplay good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monte Harrison
September 8, 2003, 09:47 AM
The gun handling is a little, ah, unknowledgable. Don't get me wrong, Pulp Fiction is one of my all-time favorite movies just for the characters, very sharp dialog and totally unpredictable story line(s). You might just wince a little when Samuel L. Jackson refers to his 1911 with the huge hole in the muzzle as "Mr. 9mm," or when he shoots someone with a gun that had just hit slidelock a minute ago.

Kamicosmos
September 8, 2003, 10:16 AM
dialog is what makes the movie. It's the whole concept of 'everyday average joe' criminals that make the movie so interesting. The gun handling (both by actors and editing/props) isn't good.

Although, and this won't spoil it for you, The Scene in the car is a good example of how bad gun handling can kill....hehe.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
September 8, 2003, 12:39 PM
That scene where the dude blasts his "hand cannon" at Sam Jackson and The dancin' machine is worth a few laughs. Not only for the slidelock scene described above, but when the holes are already in the wall behind our heroes before the guy emerges from the bathroom, its a head-scratcher!

ElToro
September 8, 2003, 12:42 PM
and that bright nickle 1911.. nice

or the scene in the dungeon where bruce willis keeps going to the meaner weapon..

Am i the only one who counts shots in movies ? probly not knowing this crew who frequents this place..

Justin
September 8, 2003, 12:44 PM
PF isn't a gun movie. It's got fantastic characters, a brilliant story, and excellent cinematography.

But it is most assuredly not an action/gun movie.

"We should have shotguns for this deal."

Partisan Ranger
September 8, 2003, 01:40 PM
I thought it was pretty odd when Jackson was talking about 'Mr. 9mm." I'm no expert, but I thought he was carrying a 1911.

Keith
September 8, 2003, 02:43 PM
I think Jackson is using a Browning P-35.

Keith

Autolite
September 8, 2003, 06:42 PM
IIRC Mr 9mm was indeed a Browning HP. I remember this as I was surprised to see a BG in the movies using an old SA 9mm. It is evident in the last 'restaurant' scene that the gun was a High Power but I ain't for certain if he was possibly carrying a 1911 in earlier scenes ...

spacemanspiff
September 8, 2003, 07:04 PM
when jacksons character first shoots to slidelock, in the follow scene that supposedly happens IMMEDIATELY after, his once empty and locked back gun is now fully charged. obviously the scenes were shot seperately.

BigG
September 8, 2003, 07:57 PM
No, but the ND caused me to spew beverage thru my nostrils. :eek:

Abenaki
September 8, 2003, 08:24 PM
I didn,t care for the movie........But the sound track was cool!
Dusty Springfield sends shivers down my spine!!!!!!!!!
Not only that, but I dig the heck out Dick Dale........Surf music rules!!!!!!!

Abenaki

Dean Speir
September 8, 2003, 08:44 PM
Anyone who was any sort of gunperson just had to wince when Travolta's character was waving his gun around with his finger on the trigger, thinking" "Moron! Rule #3… why don't they ever show what should happen in that situation?!? "

And before you know it, it did happen!

I for one was most gratified!

Also liked the scene when the character no one realizes is there, screws up his courage and rushes out of the bathroom with that 6-inch L-frame, right up to Vincent and Jules and blasts all six at them at no more than four feet away… with six misses! Gotta like that, 'cause it's pretty true-to-life, #1, and, #2, it was a life-altering moment for Jules.

As enjoyable a flick as is Pulp Fiction, another Tarantino film from the previous year, True Romance (directed by Tony Scott), would be the superior DVD purchase.

G-R-E-A-T dialogue, good characters, and a terrific cast… check it out on IMdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108399/combined). And some major gunplay, too, although the classic scenes are between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken, and later between Patricia Arquette and James Gandolfini.

WonderNine
September 8, 2003, 11:09 PM
IIRC Mr 9mm was indeed a Browning HP.

I paused that scene in the restaurant at several angles where you get a really good view of it to make sure. Did this awhile ago actually because I was like "Wth did he just refer to his 1911 as Mr. 9mm." And I was thinking in the back of my mind that it might be a BHP, but it's definately a 1911. Not a HP at all, look at the front of the slide. Totally obvious.

Could be a 1911 in 9mm....but why would you want a 1911 in 9mm as a "badass" gun. You'd want either a Hi-cap 9mm or a .45.....:rolleyes:

Ian11
September 9, 2003, 02:49 AM
Sam Jackson's gun is a 1911 but I noticed it also had an external extractor which is also uncommon.

Quentin Tarantino doesn't seem to be that knowledgeable about handguns and he probably wrote "Mr. 9mm" because 9mm was probably more familiar to him. Although Pulp Fiction (nor Reservoir Dogs) are not great examples for being the most "technically correct" the shootouts seem more spontaneous and not choreographed, which makes it more realistic than most "gun movies".

Another great scene was when Bruce Willis surprised ******** with the silenced Mac-10. That scene just came out of the blue and it really shows Tarantino isn't too sentimental about his own protaganists. :D

Lennyjoe
September 9, 2003, 05:33 AM
Another vote for the ND in the car scene. THough it was an aweful accident I did get a laugh out of the whole scene from the shot to the "Cleaner".

WonderNine
September 9, 2003, 05:40 AM
Another great scene was when Bruce Willis surprised ******** with the silenced Mac-10. That scene just came out of the blue and it really shows Tarantino isn't too sentimental about his own protaganists.

Hahahaha, that's my favorite part in the whole movie.

Smoke
September 9, 2003, 12:41 PM
Gun handling is not the reason to watch Pulp Fiction. Its a dialog movie.

I love the scene when Travolta takes the chick to the cafe and she orders a $5.00 milk shake.

These guys are dealing millions of dollars of drugs and killing people as if life has no value...and he is blown away by the idea of a $5.00 ****ing milkshake."

Great movie.

Oracle
September 9, 2003, 12:48 PM
You might just wince a little when Samuel L. Jackson refers to his 1911 with the huge hole in the muzzle as "Mr. 9mm,"

Actually, "Mr. 9mm" is a 9mm, a Star Model B, in fact. Take a good look at the gun, and then take a good look at the nickeled Star Model B's sold by SOG. It's the same gun, right down to the nickel-plated grips.

Lightsped
September 9, 2003, 12:52 PM
How about a screen capture of this chrome pistol that is debated to be a 9mm or .45.

BigG
September 9, 2003, 01:06 PM
If you think that ND was funny, you oughta see the one in Boondock Saints. You'll laugh your head off! :o

BOONDOCK SAINTS (http://www.ePINIONS.COM/mvie-review-6306-1DBFD0BF-3A48ACB7-prod4)

Keith
September 9, 2003, 01:09 PM
Screen Capture of pistol and another of the ND.

Edited to say; hhhhmmmmmmm

Keith
September 9, 2003, 01:14 PM

Keith
September 9, 2003, 01:16 PM
ND

fnforme
September 9, 2003, 05:59 PM
This is my all time favorite movie. Whoever said to buy it for the dialog, cinematography, and dialog nailed it. The dialog in this movie is written so that every line is entertaining. There isn't any part of this movie that gets slow.

BUY IT! :D

Remander
September 10, 2003, 01:00 AM
After I noticed the apparent 9mm v .45 contradiction years ago, I searched movie scripts online. Here's one at http://www.moviescripts.de/html/script/pulpfiction.html

It seems the script actually referred to Jules' piece as a .45.

I speculate the "Mr. 9 mm" reference was a directorial change made during filming that was revised from the script because most punk-??? movie-goers think of a "9" as the more "bad ???" sounding gun.

These are ".45" quotes from online scripts, (slightly cleaned for language by the THR computer) beginning with the reference that stirred this discussion. It's about 2/3 down the first paragraph:

JULES: There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that ???? for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ???. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a mother????er 'fore you popped a cap in his ???. But I saw some ???? this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin', it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. .45 here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ??? in the valley of darkness. Or is could by you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that ???? ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

[another .45 reference]

HONEY BUNNY
Any of you ????in' pricks move and I'll execute every one of you mother????ers! Got that?!
Jules looks up, not believing what he's seeing. Under the table, Jules' hand goes to his .45 Automatic. He pulls it out, COCKING IT.

[Another .45 reference]

HONEY BUNNY
Don't take any chances. Execute him!

The Patrons SCREAM.

Jules watches all this silently, his hand tightly gripping the .45 Automatic under the table.

[and another]

Then, to the amazement of the Patrons, the WAITRESSes, the Cooks, the Bus Boys, and the Manager, these two bad-??? dudes -- wearing UC Santa Cruz and "I'm with Stupid" tee-shirts, swim trunks, thongs and packing .45 Automatics -- walk out of the coffee shop together without saying a word.

[and more]

The trunk of the Chevy OPENS UP, Jules and Vincent reach inside, taking out two .45 Automatics, loading and cocking them.

Jules takes his .45 and PRESSES the barrel HARD in BRETT's cheek.

Don Gwinn
January 8, 2004, 10:40 PM
New Evidence:

Oracle hit it right on the head, but the Long Mountain website has a clear photo of both Jules and Vincent's guns. Vincent's gun was a chromed Auto Ordnance .45, but Jules' was indeed a Star Model B. So unintentionally or not, "Mr. 9mm" was perfectly accurate. :D

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/PulpFiction

Then again, it would be a great film either way.

Cal4D4
January 8, 2004, 11:40 PM
The important part is that Zed's dead.

wardog
January 8, 2004, 11:50 PM
"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? You were saying something about best intentions?"

Holly76201
January 9, 2004, 12:28 AM
I truly enjoyed Pulp Fiction. But if you've never seen it, RENT it before buying it. Then you'll know if YOU like it enough to buy iy.

Holly

January 9, 2004, 01:04 AM
I am very hard to please when it comes to movies. I watch very little TV and haven't been to a movie theatre in many years.
BUT, if you haven't seen Pulp Fiction you are in for a treat. It is great. Really. Great.

Oh, and I have never seen Star Wars.

I just got out Pulp Fiction and fired it up.

gabeodog
January 9, 2004, 01:18 AM
This is a great movie. Dare i say a cult classic.

Bruce H
January 9, 2004, 02:03 AM
Don't be around a mac-10 when the pop tarts go off.

WonderNine
January 9, 2004, 02:15 AM
Jules' was indeed a Star Model B.

I'll buy that!

Where else on the internet would you settle a question like this....only THR! :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=714306

WonderNine
January 9, 2004, 02:17 AM
Pulp fiction snapshot....

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=714309

January 9, 2004, 02:20 AM
What was Butch's last name ?

WonderNine
January 9, 2004, 02:26 AM
Did somebody say it in the movie?

Damn, I've probably seen the movie five times and I couldn't tell ya.

January 9, 2004, 02:29 AM
Yes, it is in the movie.
I didn't notice it before and I was hopeing it wasn't obvioius and I wasn't just dense.

Cal4D4
January 9, 2004, 02:56 AM
Coolidge

January 9, 2004, 02:57 AM
Nice

How many other people knew that ?

Cal4D4
January 9, 2004, 03:01 AM
Hopefully, Butch's mom!

artherd
January 9, 2004, 04:30 AM
Uh, well, there's a great scene on GUN SAFETY ;)

I wouldn't say it is full of 'good' gun handling, as in proper and safe :D)

But it is full of *accurate* gun handling by the criminal element. Ie, dangerous, fast, shocking, and unprepared.

Oh, the dialouge of the movie is outstanding. One scary thing you should prepare yourself for. The more I watch it, the more the dialouge sounds like me and two of my shooting buddies. Some real choice bits in there.

cracked butt
January 9, 2004, 08:55 AM
My favorite part is where Jules asks for his wallet back in the restaurant. I'm not going to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorite movies.

BeLikeTrey
January 9, 2004, 09:32 AM
http://www.celebritysoundboards.com/sjackson.html

a few quotes I found funny. for many uses ;)

Greybeard
January 9, 2004, 11:12 AM
Don't like needles here. Thus, my most memorable "shot" was the "magnum" syringe. :what:

Ktulu
January 9, 2004, 11:33 AM
I have a question...

What was in the briefcase Jules and Vincent pick up at the apartment?

geekWithA.45
January 9, 2004, 11:42 AM
You never really see what's in the briefcase, but it does emit a golden glow, whatever it is.

TonyB
January 9, 2004, 11:51 AM
Pulp Fiction is a great movie.....but True Romance is waaaay better....saw it again on New Years eve on HBO......Slater at his best ,Gandolfini before he was Soprano,and Gary Oldman is great too.........
Anybody know if Christian Slater is a shooter.....when he shoots his Revolver he does recoil,which is missing in most movies(except Eastwood's)

AJ Dual
January 9, 2004, 12:01 PM
I'm not much for "owning"movies. I bought the obligatory copy of "The Matrix" when I got my first DVD player, and that's about it.

But I can't make a higer reccomendation that you at least rent Pulp Fiction and Boondock Saints.

If you have any appreciation for witty banter, "edginess", black humor, absurdity, and a little gunplay, you ought to like them both immensely.

The "Cat Scene" in Boondock Saints was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie since Pulp Fiction. What makes you laugh would be horribly innapropriate in real life, but if you let yourself go, and take it for the movie it's supposed to be, it's hillarious several times over.

Sean Smith
January 9, 2004, 12:29 PM
Boondock Saints was good fun...

Paul Smecker: You know, you Irish cops are perking up. That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men. Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing.

Pulp Fiction has fun gunplay, and a lesson on the dangers of bad gun handling, but it doesn't really have good gun handling so much.

G.I.Jew
January 9, 2004, 05:13 PM
oops...I shot Marv in the face

tyme
January 9, 2004, 06:41 PM
Tonyb, there's this:

Christian Slater -
Arrested in West Hollywood, CA. after allegedly leading sheriff's deputies on a car chase. A police spokeman's says Slater crashed into a telephone pole, kicked a cop after getting out of his car, and then tried to escape over a fence. He was charged with evading police, driving under the influence, assault with a deadly weapon {his cowboy boots} and driving with a suspended license. [29 December 1989]

Arrested at New York's JFK airport on Dec. 23, 1994. He was carrying a pistol in a carry-on, allegedly a beretta 92.

Arrested by Los Angeles police and charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of battery. [11 August 1997]

Sentenced to three months in jail, and 36 months probation, for assaulting his girlfriend Michelle Jonas and a police officer, as well as cocaine abuse. [9 December 1997]

Starts three month jail sentence. Released after 59 days for good behavior. [14 January 1998]
I think it's safe to say the answer is that he had firearms and used to shoot them. He probably still has firearms, but of course they're not legally owned unless he got his felony convictions expunged.

mussi
January 9, 2004, 06:55 PM
"The only one who f**** with Mr Wallace is Ms Wallace."

I have very fond memories of that move. :)

Kalos
January 9, 2004, 09:34 PM

While this may not be the answer you want to hear, it does shed some light on the subject: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mpulpfiction.html

I always just thought it was rich stuff, myself. :D

thumbtack
January 9, 2004, 11:30 PM
It is a very good movies but it is not a gun movie at all.

Ktulu
January 12, 2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks Kalos. I had heard the "soul" theory but not the McGuffin one.

another48hrs
January 12, 2004, 06:48 PM

To me it will always be one of those little book lamps. I remember an episode of All American Girl (The show starring Marget Chow and her zany Korean family) and QT made a guest appearance. He had the exact same briefcase and opened it and pulled out one of those lights.

January 12, 2004, 07:56 PM
I must not have an active imagination.
I always thought it was two kilos of cocaine. I guess that is too obvious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pulp Fiction - gunplay good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!