Mystery 44 help identify PLEASE!!

PDA

Savage Shooter
September 14, 2008, 11:49 PM
I need someone to give my some history one this revolver it's going to be sold and I need to know some history. On the right side of the top of the cilinder it says 44 then has a sideways K and a star on top of that. Thats all the writing on the gun that I can find. I'd like to find out what it's worth, year it was made, who made it. Heres some pics
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/Johndeereman19/100_0384.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/Johndeereman19/100_0388.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery 44 help identify PLEASE!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
September 14, 2008, 11:58 PM
It looks like an H&R Young American to me or one of the similar lemon squeezers. I may be looking at it wrong but it does not look big enough to be a .44. Are you sure the barrel is anything close to that diameter? To my eye it looks more like a .38 or .32 cal of some sort.

Savage Shooter
September 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
It says 44 on the side and the holes are pretty big the pics are just bad.
I'd wager its a 44 but I don't know I guess it could be a model number.

Savage Shooter
September 15, 2008, 12:15 AM
ok I know this is a pretty crude measurement but I dropped a 30-30 in it thats the biggest I have one hand and it had plenty of room to wobble around in.

Deanimator
September 15, 2008, 12:18 AM
It looks like one of the plethora of cheap solid frame Webley type revolvers made by countless manufacturers in the late 19th century. Depending upon frame and grip shape, they can be called "bulldogs", "kobolds", etc. There are line drawings of all kinds of them in the first edition of the A.B. Zhuk book on handguns. There are actually people who collect these. It's like studying beetles, there are endless variations.

mnrivrat
September 15, 2008, 03:29 AM
Looks like the Webley's British Bull Dog revolver . These were made from the early 1870's until about WWI . Look up Webley Bull Dog Pistols by Homer R. Ficken on the net. There is info there on the variations etc.

Savage Shooter
September 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
thanks I'll do that

44and45
September 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Whatever you do, don't try to shoot it. I had one given to me back in the sixtys, it was not up to pot metal standards...so beware.

Those English guns were no doubt black powder when they were shooting them in the late 19th century.

Jim

.455_Hunter
September 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
My guess is that it is a Belgian gun modeled after various Webley products. One clue is the integral barrel/frame, not two pieces as seen on the higher quality British guns. My own "Belgian Webley" is a copy of the RIC chambered in .450, and proofed "not for nitro". I have fired it using Fiocchi .455 brass loaded with 180 gr. .451 Buffalo Arms "Ballets" and a lite charge of FFFg just to make it go bang.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery 44 help identify PLEASE!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!