Least Expensive Decent 1911

PDA

GunLvrNLearner
September 15, 2008, 01:04 AM
Is it a Taurus? Firestorm? or what?

And how much are they new?

If you enjoyed reading about "Least Expensive Decent 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kcshooter
September 15, 2008, 01:07 AM
RIA, about $400. It's about the cheapest way to step into a reasonable quality 1911.

GunLvrNLearner
September 15, 2008, 01:10 AM
Armscor is same as RIA? or hows that exactly

toddmog
September 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
Armscor makes RIA...excellent choice too.

rondog
September 15, 2008, 01:47 AM
I agree about the RIA's! I have three, great pistols. And they ARE made by Armscor in the Philippines. IF you can find an Armscor 1911 in the US for a decent price, that would be a good score too. They're not imported here anymore, but they're a little nicer finished, some are stainless, I believe.

Another good one is High Standard, also made by Armscor, essentially the same thing as a RIA but with different markings.

Personally, I'd recommend a RIA Tactical model. That's about the best value for a starter 1911 you'll find. Centerfire Systems has them.

Black Majik
September 15, 2008, 02:37 AM
I'm gonna stray from the answers so far, the least expensive 1911 I'd happily own would be a Springfield Armory GI model. The sights are small, and it doesn't have a lowered and flared ejection port, but if I'd ever choose to customize it, the forged slide and frame from IMBEL are excellent quality as a base.

XavierBreath
September 15, 2008, 02:56 AM
"Decent" means different things to different people. To me, it means durable, reliable, and sufficently accurate. If "decent" means having high speed low drag whiz bang whoop de doo dads to you, my recommendations will not be what you are looking for.

Some like the Rock Island Armory 1911 (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA_M1911A1.htm). It's a "decent" cast frame 1911 with a low price point.

My preference is the Springfield GI45 (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/springfields-gi-45.html). It's the lowest priced "decent" 1911 with a forged frame that is commonly available. Someone will no doubt mention Norinco, but importation of those is no more, and the chances of finding one new is slim.

Here are some thoughts (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/07/choosing-your-first-1911.html) on chosing your first 1911. My best recommendadtions are there.

I'll make it easy for you. Buy one. Chances are it won't be your last one, so what you chose is inconsequential really. Just get into shooting them.

kcshooter
September 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
If you're going to look at the Springer GI, I highly recommend dropping about $55 more to move to the MilSpec. Better sights and lowered ejection port, plus magwell beveling and a few other mods. My main complaint about the GI is the terrible sights, and installing new ones is usually going to run you more than the price increase to the milspec.

weisse52
September 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
I second the Springfield Mil-Spec. Great pistol with a forged slide and frame.

I will say that the RIA's I have seen seem like a good deal as well.

Treo
September 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm very happy W/ my RIA.

I definetely recomend that you stay away from Llama

EHL
September 15, 2008, 04:56 PM
+1 on the Springfield GI or Mil spec version of the 1911. They're both great quality pistols. They're forged pistols unlike other brands. I personally don't trust cast frames. I know alot of parts are cast or MIM these days, but replacing those parts is relatively easily and cheapily replaced, a cracked or broken slide or reciever; however, are not easily and cheapily replaced.

wally
September 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
RIA Tactical is the best value right now, Springfield loaded features at a tad under GI prices. Basically same gun is sold as the STI Spartan for a little more. Its supposed to have "better" internal parts.

SureThing
September 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
I also suggest a Charles Daly EFS. It is basically a Rock Island Tactical, but with nicer grips, Blue instead of Parkerized finish, and silver barrel. It just looks a bit nicer. It does not have a full lenght guide rod though. It is made by Armscor also. I have one, but plan on selling it for a upgraded 1911.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc213/bdawg1976/Gun/charlesdaly1.jpg

boredelmo
September 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
I've owned and RIA, Colt, IMI, and Springfield.

One gun did not have any problems whatsoever. The others needed a little bit of polish here or there, a heavier spring, specific ammo.

The only problem free one was the RIA.

possum
September 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
i have shot RIA and i was impessed, i shot the 3.5 model and as long as 230gr fmj's were used it was 100% reliable and accurate, well worth the price tag.

HM2PAC
September 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
Love my RIA.

Cast frame and all. I've yet to read anywhere about a cast frame being a problem.

Mine started out as a basic GI model, but has been upgraded. Beavertail, sear, link, trigger, bushing, slide stop, fiber optic sights..... Lots of fun, I'm learning to do these things myself.

The thing is a veritable garbage can. It eats anything I feed it.

I own HK's, S&W's, Ruger's, Springfields,..... and the RIA goes to the range the most. It is also my carry weapon.

Eric F
September 15, 2008, 08:25 PM
yup nothing wrong with RIA

stolivar
September 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
For the price and dependability they can't be beat. For around $424 you can get either one of these

The Compact

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/stolivar/RIAcompact.jpg

Tactical
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/stolivar/100_1113.jpg

steve

firestarter
September 16, 2008, 12:33 AM
Springfield GI or Milspec. Backed with a lifetime warranty. Costs about as much as a Glock. I have handled RIAs but havent shot one so I can't comment on them. Goodluck.

MICHAEL T
September 16, 2008, 01:06 AM
The new Firestorm or American Classic , Made in Phillipines by metroarms Deluxe should sell for around $425 .

IdahoLT1
September 16, 2008, 03:35 AM
Here are some thoughts on chosing your first 1911. My best recommendadtions are there.

I will try to read this later, but its quite long. Any cliff notes you want to share?

My buddy picked up a Taurus and its a good shooter. Its not a nice as the Wilson Combat i rented at the range, but its still very comfortable. A 1911 has moved up a couple spots on my "next gun to buy list".

TAB
September 16, 2008, 03:43 AM
I've bought both a colt 70 series and a 80 series this year for 450 and 475. the 70s had maybe hundred rounds thru it. the 80 series was NIB

Hoffy
September 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't buy without checking out the stainless steel PT1911 at Bud's gun shop. Last time I checked they were selling for around $580, shipped.

I like my Taurus 1911, but I'd like it better if it was stainless.

ZeSpectre
September 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'll put in another vote for the Charles Daly

XDKingslayer
September 17, 2008, 05:44 PM
If you want a good solid MilSpec GI to build from, then my vote is to the Spingfield GI45.

If you want something with the basic upgrades such as better sights, beavertail, ambi safety, skeletonized hammer and trigger, then you can't beat the RIA Tactical.

Ala Dan
September 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
I would have too agree with my friend Black Majik, and vote
for the Springer G.I. 1911's~! Heck, I own two [one 5" parkerized,
and one 5" stainless]; and I think they are the "best bang for the
buck", bar none~! :scrutiny: ;)

ZeSpectre
September 17, 2008, 08:27 PM
Just posted the rest of an informal review on my new Charles Daly
on this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393517).

If you enjoyed reading about "Least Expensive Decent 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!