The most annoying man at the gun range.

PDA

wideym
September 16, 2008, 02:01 AM
Why is it that I always run into the same annoying guy at the local range? Did I do something terribly wrong in a past life. First some background.

My local gun range is a great place to shoot and every time I go there I meet new people. I also have yet to go there with out letting someone try out my guns and others letting me try out theirs.

But there is one guy who seems to always be there, with the only open lane right next to him, which after hearing him for awhile is a big indicator as to why there is an open lane next to him. He's in his late 20's to early 30's, lives with his parents, loads his own rounds, and WON'T SHUT UP. Not only that he doesn't seem to listen. He kept on talking about how if I shot his .44mag I would want one, even though I told him I already own three .44mags, just didn't bring them. During this time my brother and I were trying to teach his 16 year old daughter different shooting techniqes with different pistols and rifles. Only the annoying guy kept trying to carry on a conversation with us and suggesting caliber recemendations for my neice to buy. Remember she is only 16 and looks like she's pushing 16.

I tried to be polite, then I tried just ignoring him, then I tried to stearnly explain that while his advice and friendlyness was appreciated, it was counter productive to teaching a new shooter. It all seemed to go over his head and he just went on like I hadn't said anything.

I really like shooting there and all the other people I've met there are great, but I feel uncomfortable skulking around the ranges trying to avoid this guy like I owe him money or something. He's that annoying folks.

Sorry to rant. Do any of you have a similar expenince?

If you enjoyed reading about "The most annoying man at the gun range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frightener 88
September 16, 2008, 02:05 AM
I shoot in the desert so I dont have to deal with people I didnt bring. Im not much of a people person. Just shoot more, perhaps that will drown out his talking.

Number 6
September 16, 2008, 02:07 AM
Any public venue draws people with social disorders, and unfortunately gun ranges too draw more than their fair share of socially challenged individuals. I don't know why, but I always seem to draw the conspiracy theorists that want to explain to me how the JFK assassination, the moon landing, and 9/11 are all tied together.

Diamondback6
September 16, 2008, 02:09 AM
There's always the less subtle option: "Please. Stop. Bothering. (Me/Us). NOW."

ColinthePilot
September 16, 2008, 02:13 AM
Had one guy talk like that when my friend and I went to the range one day...only this guy was a retired Federal LEO firearms instructor and was giving us great, if unsolicited shooting lessons for nothing. He also gave a great history lesson about his experience as a Marine in Vietnam. The range master came over and introduced him as the "man that protects us from evil orange dots." Apparently the guy comes down every tuesday and shoots until he's eliminated all the orange from the bullseyes of 4 targets with a .22 pistol. Really nice guy. unfortunately, I moved and won't be able to go to that range anymore.

Wildfire
September 16, 2008, 02:19 AM
Hey There;
I know just what you are up against. We have one maybe even worse then yours. He has the biggest revolver in the world. Yep.
Ok . thats cool. Wow. I really came to shoot.
He never really seems to get it. I came to shoot not talk.

I don't mind talking some with the ones that may really have something to say.
But , This guy wears on me. Best of luck...
Go during the week is the only way I could get rid of him.

Some times my anwsers to these type are "Been There done that".

wideym
September 16, 2008, 02:21 AM
One thing I forgot to mention was his "combat" advice. About which rifle was "the prefered weapon of SF, Seals, Delta etc..", even though he admitted to never being in the military. I was an Infantryman for nearly 14 years, one year of Combat duty in Iraq, and a minor medal for Valor in combat. The only combat this guy saw was playing Rainbow Six on his X box.

rondog
September 16, 2008, 02:26 AM
I haven't ran into anybody like that while I'm out shooting, but I get 'em at Harbor Freight all the time. Makes me wonder if I'm "challenged" too, because I shop there.

NavyLCDR
September 16, 2008, 02:53 AM
How about the person next to you that has a .460 S&W and they are shooting full power handloads like .22's. It's blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, reload and it starts over again. I don't get more than five seconds to get a good sight on a target, bench resting my rifle, just get ready to squeeze off a round, and there they go again, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam with that dang .460.

Oh, wait, that's my :evil:wife:evil: in the lane next to me.

GlowinPontiac
September 16, 2008, 03:01 AM
If he is bothering you that much tell him you came to shoot and not to talk. if he continues then let the range officer know he is bothering you and try to get anyone else he annoys to complain as well. maybe if there are enough complaints the RO will try to talk to this guy and explain that what he is doing is aggrivating other customers.

againstthagrane
September 16, 2008, 03:04 AM
i love the op's story, i feel bad for you buddy, but i can't help picture the situation and laugh. sorry buddy.

i think the gangsta in the lane to the left seeing how fast he can dump 17 from a glock is up there on the all time biggest range annoyances list. of course how can you forget the old guy with the .357 snub nose working on giving you tinnitus as you try to focus on 25 yard bulleyes. haha

you gotta love 'em though.

bogie
September 16, 2008, 04:53 AM
Campers, you gotta realize something...

Guns attract people who geek on guns.

Double hearing protection is good.

What really drives me nuts, however....

...are guys who did x tours of duty as an "x" who think that they can tell me about how I can shoot my rifles better.

Who don't ever seem to have any money.

TAB
September 16, 2008, 04:56 AM
pretend your deft... it works...

Loomis
September 16, 2008, 05:21 AM
Never happens to me. Nobody ever wants to talk to me. Sometimes I wonder if people look at me and think I'm a serial killer or something when I'm at the range. People get out of my way and won't make eye contact with me. If I think about it too much, it will start to bother me, so I choose not to think about it much. It does have it's upside. I don't have to deal with those annoying geeks that won't shut up.

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 05:52 AM
That sounds pretty obnoxious. I don't know what's left except to do something like post #4.

Some people have no bearing on proper social interaction.

It baffles me. :confused:

ADKWOODSMAN
September 16, 2008, 06:17 AM
Hey, this TYPE guy was at a 2700 Bullseye match and was next to me for only the centerfire stages. He fired a 6" .357 max loads. Why did they allow this???

memphisjim
September 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
oh with this title i thought you had summoned me
but it wasnt me
if you are shooting he cant talk
if you werent shooting id be the guy say ill give you money to shoot that gun of yours

kentucky_Dave
September 16, 2008, 06:25 AM
It is rough, I know, but some people are simply starved for human interaction.
It may sound strange, but the range may be the ONLY place they feel safe and surrounded by people they can relate to.

If nothing more, it can be great entertainment.

Just remember to be VERY nice to the armed person who is desperately trying to "fit in"...overly nice if you will.

Mp7
September 16, 2008, 06:27 AM
bring a Howdah pistol.

That will silence side-noises :)

memphisjim
September 16, 2008, 06:31 AM
new thought get the s&w scandium titanuim 44 mag and some hot heavy loads and ask him to join you
tell him you love 44 mag and to keep shooting
he wont last long

SJgunguy24
September 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
I had some jackass lighting off a 50 AE Desert Eagle. "This is a mans gun,only a man can shoot this gun!" Thats the only thing he was talking about. I got through my 200 rds with my G17 and he looks at my target and asks me how could he shoot like that. I told him to sell that boat anchor and find something more practical. "That may be a mans gun but your still flinching. By the time your lining up a follow up shot, i'll get off 2-4 center mass hits." That dude sucked big time,7 yrd target, maybe 8"-10" groups.

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 07:38 AM
Just remember to be VERY nice to the armed person who is desperately trying to "fit in"...overly nice if you will.

Agreed. If the dude is off-kilter and armed, it might not be a bad idea to avoid him as if you owed him money.

Double Naught Spy
September 16, 2008, 07:57 AM
"You know, whenever I got to the range in Arkansas on my regular visits, there is this guy who I swear is stalking me! I don't know how, but he always shows up after me and then takes the lane next to me. Honestly, it happens so often that I think he must be fixated on me and it scares me a bit. Why would he do this to me?

So, I try to make conversation with him, talking about guns, ammo, etc. I load my own, don't you know. I tried to help him with his shooting as he apparently needs it. Heck, I figured that is why he wanted to shoot next to me so often was for shooting tips or something. However, this guy comes off as a jerk and acts like he doesn't want to know me, doesn't want to talk to me, doesn't want shooting help, in spite of cozying up to be session after session. It just gives me the creeps.

Anybody else here feel like they are being stalked at the range?"

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 16, 2008, 09:10 AM
I just go out in the country--my gas cost is less than range fees---its just me and the grasshoppers this time of year.

I pick up my mess and get no hassles.

Pat-inCO
September 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
Just tell him to take his hearing protection off.

It's clearly evident he cannot hear what he is being told, so he needs hearing assistance. :D

Second way would be to complain to the range officer.
Let the RO know this clown is impairing your ability to shoot safely because he is such a distraction.

Rmac58
September 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
The folks I meet at the range are pretty good sports. I have not had a problem, at a public or private range. Others are interested in shooting, but don't mind carrying on a short conversation.
Some insist I fire their weapon, and I mean empty the clip/mag, I oblige, and enjoy the differences. I had never fired a lever action longarm before, but a .22lr, doesn't even seem you're shooting! I thank 'em, and offer the same. These fellas decided against trying my Mosin-Nagant M44, tho.
I've learned a few things, and maybe I have passed along some insight.

jackstinson
September 16, 2008, 09:27 AM
I go to the range to shoot, not to visit with the guy next to me.
This is why I only go to the range on weekdays, as early as possible. And I avoid the range one week prior to deer season also, when the Walmart gun buyers show up to put 3 rounds through their new deer cannon. "Hey buddy, how far do you think that is to my target?" Uh sir, your target is set up on the 50 yard berm...do you see the 3 berms...25, 50, and 75 yards. Makes you wonder who he'll ask in the woods when Bambi shows up? "Hey Bambi, what range are you standing at?" ;)
And yes, I LOVE the people who show up with BIG revolvers and stand as close as they can to you (we have open lanes). It's not the noise, it's the concussion which is so pleasant. Then there is the guy who shortened his Mosin Nagant barrel to 16.25". And last week was the guy who likes to shoot his AK on the pistol range (because he can't hit a target with it past 15 yards apparently).
Stalker? There was a guy at a private muzzle loader range a few years back who was there every Saturday morning right after I got there. I'd go there early, open up, and try to enjoy being by myself for awhile. Then he'd come along and just want to talk. I'm trying to concentrate on loading, he's yapping. He was always "laid-off" so he never had any powder.

HOWEVER.....there are some decent folks who are enjoyable to talk with and shoot with. One day a guy with a Nighthawk asked to see my Kel-Tec. He shot mine, I shot his...fun. And I must admit that the cut down Mosin was done nicely and was interesting, just loud. But most of the time I just go to shoot. I have limited time for range trips mean I must maximize the time I am there.

deaconkharma
September 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
I know exactly what you mean and I have devised a system that never fails...
Do socially unacceptable things around him.
pick your nose and go to shake his hand or reach in your pants, scratch, and then go to shake his hand or pat/wipe hand on his back. he'll give you a wide berth from then on. Be creative.:evil:

dodge
September 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
I know a guy that hits the brass bucket for scrap. Now I don't have a problem with that it's that when I go shooting if I am shooting any of my handguns or hunting rifles he doesn't show up but let me shot off a mag full from my AR he's johnny on the spot asking if I reload or not. In talking to other club members he's has been known to almost burn his hands getting the brass as soon as it leaves the gun. He's done that to me that last few times I've been to that range and then he wants to talk telling me his life history. Me all I am trying to do is have a relaxing time at the range away from all the day-to-day hassles.

Tortuga12
September 16, 2008, 10:14 AM
What an "interesting" place to shoot!! You've got all of the following, on a daily basis:

1. Talkers. Love to talk about their brand new web gear, camel back, G17 (inevitably), mil-spec boots, glasses, etc. Of course, they always show up to the range dressed up like a friggin' GI Joe. Marksmanship is, shall we say, less than perfect.:barf:

2. Gangbangers. Nothing like setting up at the pistol range, ready to try and nail that bulls eye at 25 yds, only to have an Escalade pull up, two bangers from downtown get out, dump two magazines downrange (pistols held horizontally, of course), get back in the truck, and leave. Of course, they didn't ask if the lanes they were using were free, and weren't even aiming at a target! Also interesting is the collection of girls that seem to always be in the truck (I believe the term is "hood-rat"). Even better is when one shows up at the rifle range with an underfolder AK, and just sprays like mad, then drives off. Couldn't be bothered to police his brass, of course, or even step up to the line before shooting! RO got a little ticked at that guy!:fire: Oh, and I have yet to see a tag on one of these cars that indicate that they paid to get in.

3. Cracker (as in Florida cracker.) Let me start by saying I have NO problem with rural America. When I was a kid growing up in Indiana, my backyard was bordered by a corn field! However, we get some really interesting people showing up at the range. Why do people feel the need to bump fire when I'm trying to target shoot? And how do these people afford to burn 500 rounds of center fire rifle ammo every weekend! I clearly keep picking the wrong careers! There's also the guy that shows up with the muzzle loader, "The instructions say 4 disks is a magnum load, but I can cram 6 in there! Check it out! BOOOM!" I had to leave for that one. And I won't even get into the time when a moron set up his .50 BMG right next to me! Needless to say, he got a little lesson on etiquette as it pertains to muzzle brakes!:banghead: This type is also likely to whip out their AK or AR at the pistol range, and get all indignant and puffed up when someone suggests that they read the sign on the line that says "PISTOLS AND RIMFIRE RIFLES ONLY". D-bags.

4. The final group is the real-estate broker. These guys like to show up with their immaculate, scoped Desert Eagle, and proceed to hit EXACTLY NOTHING with it at 15 yards. This type is generally safe, and tends to keep to themselves (they travel in groups), it just annoys me that they would spend that much on hardware and ammo, and yet be so unconcerned about actually hitting a target.

Despite my obvious disdain for my fellow man, I generally enjoy going to the range and being around fellow shooters. However, I cannot abide stupid people playing with dangerous toys!!!!

Thank god I got into the private range! Went 2 weekends ago, and I was the only one there! It was wonderful!!!

Loosedhorse
September 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
My peeve was a guy (this is years ago but I remember) who, on a practically empty range sets up the next station to my right. I'm shooting an FAL from the bench.

As he's setting up, he starts looking at me. I'm ignoring, when finally he says, "Hey, buddy--could you watch your brass--some if it is hitting me on my shoe."

I stopped. Looked at him. Scanned all the empty positions he could have set up in. Looked back at him. Shook my head.

And I moved to one of the empty positions to my left.

Not quite the end of the story. He pulls out a muzzle loader, and eventually, lets loose with some sonic-boom-loud load and his entire position is enveloped in smoke, which slowly drifts right. To the shooter next to him (he had set up between us), who begins to hack. "Je--s, friend, it's an empty range--can't you take that somewhere where it isn't gassing me?"

Some mild discussion follows, he grabs his things--and then sets them down on the bench RIGHT NEXT TO ME again. On my right.

"Come, on, friend--I've moved for you once. Don't set up there unless you want my brass hitting you again."

Now he goes off. Public range, who are you, etc. I suggested he find the range officer and we'd discuss it (it was a large range with several different areas). He throws his stuff back in the truck and speeds off, whether to find the officer or just go to another locale, I'm not sure. Didn't hear any more sonic booms. I shot for another 20 minutes and left.

I didn't live in that area of the country for long, but I'm pretty sure I never went back to that range--really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kentucky Kernel
September 16, 2008, 02:14 PM
I use the double hearing protection method: foam ear canal inserts and over-the-ear "muffs". I can still chat with my wife when we shoot if I get close and raise my voice, but I can act like I can't hear (or make a big show of taking off my hearing protection) when the guy next to us starts yammering.

Chuck Spears
September 16, 2008, 04:00 PM
Learn how to say, "Sorry I don't speak English" in a different language. Then just go along with it. It's 2008 in America, most people don't speak English anyway.

Rugerlvr
September 16, 2008, 04:10 PM
There are nerds like that in any hobby. They have some form of Asperger's, or something, and don't have a clue about social graces, and literally can't read when someone's giving them a brush-off.

MakAttak
September 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
Learn how to say, "Sorry I don't speak English" in a different language. Then just go along with it. It's 2008 in America, most people don't speak English anyway.

Oooo! I could do that a couple languages and my fiancee could teach me at least three more!...

Unfortunately, I don't look hispanic, japanese, indian, or chinese...

Maybe I should tell them I'm canadian.

JohnKSa
September 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
pretend your deft...I don't have to pretend. ;)

People don't often approach me at the range and I do my best not to intrude on other folks' range time.

Chuck Spears
September 16, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oooo! I could do that a couple languages and my fiancee could teach me at least three more!...

Unfortunately, I don't look hispanic, japanese, indian, or chinese...

Maybe I should tell them I'm canadian.

French Canadian works. "Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais." Learn it.

CountGlockula
September 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
Those types are EVERYWHERE.

KBintheSLC
September 16, 2008, 04:34 PM
Every range has one... ours is this German guy that is a super-ultra-tacti-ninja-power-warrior. He practically lives at the range, though I hardly ever see him fire a round. He knows everything there is to know about every gun that was ever made, and he does not hesitate to share endless hoards of "wisdom" with poor unsuspecting prey.

I have learned to just avoid him, and not make eye contact. Once you get him going, there is no stopping him.

Funderb
September 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think just shooting full power loads from your .44 perpetually without hearing protection until total and irreversible damage occurs.......

yeah that will do it.

wait, what?

MakAttak
September 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
French Canadian works. "Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais." Learn it.

Yeah, but when I start in with "Frère Jacques, dormez vous" in order to look like I don't understand them, I'll probably get busted...

(Unh- huh, foie gras, como talle vous, Je m'appelle Henri, and then I'd be done...)

lance22
September 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey Tortuga I used to live in Wauchula so believe me I know all about Crackers. That word was coined to describe the the people there. They have their "Cracker Heritage Festival" and the county highway is the "Cracker Trail".

XDKingslayer
September 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
Cecil Webb Range, Charlotte County, FL....

What an "interesting" place to shoot!! You've got all of the following, on a daily basis:

1. Talkers. Love to talk about their brand new web gear, camel back, G17 (inevitably), mil-spec boots, glasses, etc. Of course, they always show up to the range dressed up like a friggin' GI Joe. Marksmanship is, shall we say, less than perfect.

2. Gangbangers. Nothing like setting up at the pistol range, ready to try and nail that bulls eye at 25 yds, only to have an Escalade pull up, two bangers from downtown get out, dump two magazines downrange (pistols held horizontally, of course), get back in the truck, and leave. Of course, they didn't ask if the lanes they were using were free, and weren't even aiming at a target! Also interesting is the collection of girls that seem to always be in the truck (I believe the term is "hood-rat"). Even better is when one shows up at the rifle range with an underfolder AK, and just sprays like mad, then drives off. Couldn't be bothered to police his brass, of course, or even step up to the line before shooting! RO got a little ticked at that guy! Oh, and I have yet to see a tag on one of these cars that indicate that they paid to get in.

3. Cracker (as in Florida cracker.) Let me start by saying I have NO problem with rural America. When I was a kid growing up in Indiana, my backyard was bordered by a corn field! However, we get some really interesting people showing up at the range. Why do people feel the need to bump fire when I'm trying to target shoot? And how do these people afford to burn 500 rounds of center fire rifle ammo every weekend! I clearly keep picking the wrong careers! There's also the guy that shows up with the muzzle loader, "The instructions say 4 disks is a magnum load, but I can cram 6 in there! Check it out! BOOOM!" I had to leave for that one. And I won't even get into the time when a moron set up his .50 BMG right next to me! Needless to say, he got a little lesson on etiquette as it pertains to muzzle brakes! This type is also likely to whip out their AK or AR at the pistol range, and get all indignant and puffed up when someone suggests that they read the sign on the line that says "PISTOLS AND RIMFIRE RIFLES ONLY". D-bags.

4. The final group is the real-estate broker. These guys like to show up with their immaculate, scoped Desert Eagle, and proceed to hit EXACTLY NOTHING with it at 15 yards. This type is generally safe, and tends to keep to themselves (they travel in groups), it just annoys me that they would spend that much on hardware and ammo, and yet be so unconcerned about actually hitting a target.

Despite my obvious disdain for my fellow man, I generally enjoy going to the range and being around fellow shooters. However, I cannot abide stupid people playing with dangerous toys!!!!

Thank god I got into the private range! Went 2 weekends ago, and I was the only one there! It was wonderful!!!

Have you been out there lately? It's actually not a half bad place to shoot anymore.

The homeys and the hood-rats don't show up anymore. Showing up with anything other than a .22 or handgun at the handgun range WILL get you bounced out of there.

It's actually cleaned up well.

But the guy with the .50 BMG is a complete turd. He was out there a few weeks ago with his maroon H2. The guy is about 4'10" and has the worst Napolean complex I've ever seen. Thinks he's god gift to humanity.

russcoh
September 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
I do the same as TAB.. pretend I'm deaf and / or cannot hear the person over the noise of my 30-06 and through my ear muffs.

Chuck Spears
September 16, 2008, 05:22 PM
Sit in the lane next to him and shoot his targets. Apologize and explain that you are new to shooting and not very good yet.

Halo
September 16, 2008, 05:33 PM
Out of the blue just look towards him and yell "Who are you calling a psycho?!"

I know I would give a wide berth to someone who did that, at least. :)

Sniper X
September 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
I was at the public range one day. Had just finished installing a new scope and mount and getting a zero at only 100M when I decided to see how far off it was at the 900M gong. I took three good shots all of which missed the gong (of course), but all three hit in the same area below and to the right of the gong. A younger guy beside me was watching me since the rifle looks as trick as it is. He chimes in with Man, with a rifle like that I though you would be able to hit something! I said I had it sighted in at 100m and was shooting it for the first time since building it. He says, yeah but I could hit that gong with that rifle.

I ignored him while zeroing at 300 then shot at the gong again. After compensating for windage and range I shot the gong 5 out of 5 times in fairly raped succession. He looked again and said he could have done that with the AK he was shooting. I laughed, and laid a 50 dollar bill on the bench and said that's yours if you can hit that gong once out of 5 tries....he burned up about 300 rounds of ammo trying unsucesfully to hit the gong, I left before he challenged me to a fistfight....he was that kind of guy. Needless to say, I don't frequent the public range after becoming a member of a private club range!

Tortuga12
September 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
I don't go there anymore, I joined the local NRA range. No 300 yard line for my K31 (yet, I've been told it's coming), but I find it a much more peaceful environment.

I have been there since they started staffing it with real RO's, I guess they got rid of the little turd that wore his CCW badge around everywhere.:barf:

I just got tired of the beat up benches, the rednecks shooting out the legs of the forms on purpose, the incessant brass scrounging (yes, I AM going to need all those 7.5x55 cases on the bench right next to my rifle!), and the general lackadaisical attitude towards safety out there. IDK, I grew up out in my dad's wood/metal shop, and I learned from a very early age that basically anything mechanical can ruin your life if you don't treat it with the proper respect, so when I see people who haven't learned that lesson, I tend to shy away.

I will say it's better than when I first got down here. No RO's, it was like the friggin' wild west for a while!!

Tortuga12
September 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
Lance22,

I can believe it! My first teaching gig was in Fort Meade, just up the road! Man, that was just a little different than central Indiana!

Ala Dan
September 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
This guy must not know that the .44 magnum has lost some of its
"Dirty Harry" mystique~! Yes, its still a wonderful weapon of choice;
but I rarely see anyone shooting one at our local range, and when
they do they are shooting mild .44 Special handloads~! :scrutiny: :uhoh:

FWIW, give it time~! The problem will go away eventually, and you will
become a happy camper.

Dksimon
September 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
I dont shoot at ranges very often since my family has quite a bit of land out in the boonies but last weekend I went to a Public Range in the area and decided i wont be doing that for awhile.

I was the only one there and was shooting at a target on a board at 25 yards. I was half way through a magazine and ut of the blue this guy shows up and yells CEASE FIRE RANGE CLEAR. Walks out to the 100 yard berm and tries to put up a target when he realizes he forgot his tacks. So he sends his kid out to the car to get them but the kid cant find them so the guy walks out to his car to get them. Since there is no one on the range and he is walking all the way out to the parking lot i continue shooting and on my last shot he comes back to the firing line and yells I SAID CEASE FIRE RANGE CLEAR. I decided I didnt want to stick around and take orders from Mr. MACHO so I packed up and took off.

I realize that people have to set up targets but he should have been a little more polite about it.

ErikS
September 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
One thing I use to do when fishing in public places is to wear clothes and have gear with forreign stickers. I usually go with stickers in Dutch, because more or less noone outside of Holland or Belgium can understand it. Then I just give people an "evil eye" if they start to get to close, and/or grunt something that cant be understood.
That usually works pretty well.

Another thing that works when you're out fishing and dont want someone disturbing you is to bring a small airtight container with old shrimps in it. Just open it and place it in the vicinity where it cant be seen. I dont think that would be appreciated at a range though.:D

20nickels
September 16, 2008, 06:13 PM
OP
Offer to buy his guns for insultingly low prices. Either it will piss him off or you will get a good "buddy" price on a .44

Bartkowski
September 16, 2008, 06:20 PM
There is someone like that at one range I go too. He is probably 70 and never stops. He doesn't shoot, just comes to get brass. And he talks about everything, the grass, trees, sky, clouds, ammo, targets, cars, cities, towns, gunsmiths, people, himself, and anything else you can think of, but half of this "talk" is mumbling that isn't understood. He never has hearing protection so I will usually offer him a pair an use mine as an excuse for not hearing and understanding him.

It probably sounds like I was rude, but I wasn't. The first time I was very polite and talked to him. The second time I tried to just shoot and talk when I changed targets, but the third time I couldn't bare to talk to him. It was the same boring conversation I had the first time I saw him....

Tropical Buzz
September 16, 2008, 06:49 PM
From Double Naught Spy:
"You know, whenever I got to the range in Arkansas on my regular visits, there is this guy who I swear is stalking me! I don't know how, but he always shows up after me and then takes the lane next to me. Honestly, it happens so often that I think he must be fixated on me and it scares me a bit. Why would he do this to me?

So, I try to make conversation with him, talking about guns, ammo, etc. I load my own, don't you know. I tried to help him with his shooting as he apparently needs it. Heck, I figured that is why he wanted to shoot next to me so often was for shooting tips or something. However, this guy comes off as a jerk and acts like he doesn't want to know me, doesn't want to talk to me, doesn't want shooting help, in spite of cozying up to be session after session. It just gives me the creeps.

Anybody else here feel like they are being stalked at the range?"

:D- Always good to see the other point of view:D

(PS - I wonder if anyone else got it?)

Flash!
September 16, 2008, 09:18 PM
I guess I see the opposite kind of guy....when I used to go to public ranges, I would always end up next to the guy who didn't know squat about the gun he was shooting and he would always ask me to un-jam it or "how does this work?"

Now that I only go to a private club range, I've only seen people I'm happy to talk to....

tinygnat219
September 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
Interesting.

I always find myself trying to talk to people who are obviously doing something wrong, or bought the wrong type of gun or ammo. I mean, don't they realize how much they could save by handloading>?

This is probably what's in the mind of the guy the OP talked about.

FIFTYGUY
September 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
Some good stories here.

I am surprised, though, by the number of folks who complain about having their "concentration" ruined by the actions of their fellow shooters. I look upon distractions as a *bonus*. I've had people fountain the brass from their subguns right on top of my head (that's karma for ya :p). I consider it practical training - you wouldn't want to lose a gunfight over a coupla blisters, would you?

I've had folks touch off cannon in the next position with no warning (or maybe I was "concentrating" so hard I didn't hear their warning! :D). Yes, muzzle blast can be *very* dangerous, but it's called "situational awareness". Again, you don't want to stick your head against your buddy's muzzle in a real gun fight, do ya? If you can't tell what the person next to you is holding before they start shooting, you aren't paying enough attention. You need to know if they're endangering you by poor muzzle discipline, if they're going to drop their weapon through poor handling, or if it looks like they're simply going to blow something up (think about blood borne pathogens and fragmentation),

I realize my attitude, while optimistic, might be atypical. So I've (painfully!) learned over the years to exercise good range etiquette ("Ya'll might want to step back for this one...").

For the OP: Surely you personally know another individual with the same passion as your antagonist. Bring him along on your range trips to "run interference" for you. While the two "nuts" are talking, you can get on with your business.

Elza
September 17, 2008, 04:27 AM
Loosedhorse: My peeve was a guy (this is years ago but I remember) who, on a practically empty range sets up the next station to my right. I'm shooting an FAL from the bench.Amazing aren’t they? There seemed to be one at the range every time I went.

My favorite long gun is my M1 Garand. For those that don’t know, M1’s throw brass over half of the county. The first round ejects at about 1:00 o’clock and the 8th goes over my right shoulder. (I’m a south paw.) Considering this I always went to the last station. This guy walks past 25 empty lanes to set up next to me! Being the nice guy that I am I suggested that he might want to consider another lane as he will be peppered with brass. He promptly ignores my suggestion and sets up anyway. For the next half hour he sits there and mumbles and cusses the brass hitting around him and makes quite a show of knocking the brass off of the table. I finally fragged one down the back of his shirt. After an impromptu dance session he finally got the hot brass pealed off of his back. He muttered something under his breath, gathered up his stuff and moved.

I am so happy to be a member of a club with a private range! It doesn’t eliminate all of the morons but it certainly reduces their number.

Loosedhorse
September 17, 2008, 01:31 PM
Different range. Pull up to shoot pistol with my wife, and we see the only other shooters at the pistol range, a couple. He's probably a little over 6 ft and north of 200, she's maybe 5'2 and delicate.

And he's handing her a Desert Eagle (I thought it was a .50, but my wife says she remembers him saying it was a .44).

Good instincts: as my wife starts forward to get set up, I stop her with my hand blocking the path and say, :uhoh: "Let's just watch this a moment."

Boom! The girl staggers back, and to keep her balance, extends her gun hand out to the side, whirling the arm at the shoulder like an inept tight-rope walker. :eek: Muzzle pointing all over (and behind) the firing line. No AD, and she didn't cross us (about 15 feet back). And she wasn't hurt.

I thought, "Well, now she's gonna cuss him out, and we'll have the range to ourselves." But no, she starts laughing/giggling to beat all get-out, and I remember the lovely image of the two of them embracing: pistol still in her right hand, barrel leaning on his shoulder, muzzle maybe not quite pointed at his ear. :what:

We gingerly got back in our car and left. That's when I started wearing bullet-resistent vests to public ranges (and eventually stopped using public ranges altogether).

If any of you go to Utube and search "Desert Eagle girlfriend," you will see this is an apparently popular way to introduce your sweetheart to the love of shooting.

Grumble. :cuss:

txdude321
September 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
i am a member of the shooting range out here where i live and i dont go on the days where it is open to the public i go during the week and if i see anyone else there i usually go on the opposite side of the firing line, i havent had any problems yet hopefully it stays that way

rondog
September 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Amazing, isn't it? Can't understand how some guys just have no sense. Picking the bench next to the only shooter on the line, when there's numerous other empty benches, is no different than going to the urinal or stall next to the only guy on a whole wall full of empty ones. Just ain't right.

I'm a private person by nature, I'll always go to the spot farthest away from the other guy, it's just the right thing to do. Doesn't mean I won't converse with him if the chance arises, but I don't bother anybody by any means.

My gun club's range has numerous individual pistol ranges totally separate from each other, where you can have the whole thing to yourself all day long if you want. It's excellent! The high-power rifle range is more of a community thing though, with a dozen or so benches in a line.

atblis
September 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
Not only that he doesn't seem to listen. He kept on talking about how if I shot his .44mag I would want one, even though I told him I already own three .44mags, just didn't bring them.
I like shooting other peoples guns especially if it is their ammo. I would have been like "really". Let me try it then.

ranger335v
September 17, 2008, 04:11 PM
"I tried to be polite, then I tried just ignoring him, then I tried to stearnly explain that while his advice and friendlyness was appreciated, it was counter productive to teaching a new shooter. It all seemed to go over his head and he just went on like I hadn't said anything."

I'm not physco so I don't understand those who are but I am human and I understand a little of human behaviour.

WE ALL, even losers, want to be respected, even looked up to, for something. Some social losers have at least a mild interest in guns so they go for it that way. You see them at malls dressed in camo, pony tails and dark glasses, you see them at ranges trying to find an audience, in bars and some restraunts-coffee shops being foul, loud and agressive. Just wanting someone to pay attention to them is all it is, like the 8 year old constantely calling out, watch me mommy, see me!

Perhaps if someone paid more attention to them as kids they would make better balanced adults but it's really too late by that time and I don't have time to stroke them myself. There is no way any of us can change them but we can be "professonally" courteous and keep our own council polite.

1KPerDay
September 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
excellent post. :cool:

JohnL2
September 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
I had some jackass lighting off a 50 AE Desert Eagle. "This is a mans gun,only a man can shoot this gun!" Thats the only thing he was talking about. I got through my 200 rds with my G17 and he looks at my target and asks me how could he shoot like that. I told him to sell that boat anchor and find something more practical.

I tell you, I have to deal with enough macho b.s. at work. I don't want to deal with it at the range.
Thankfully there aren't many asshats at the range I frequent; vast majority are polite.

jakemccoy
September 17, 2008, 05:34 PM
How about the person next to you that has a .460 S&W and they are shooting full power handloads like .22's. It's blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, reload and it starts over again. I don't get more than five seconds to get a good sight on a target, bench resting my rifle, just get ready to squeeze off a round, and there they go again, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam with that dang .460.

Shooting under those conditions, you could turn that into a great training session for you actually.

Boomerang
September 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
I shoot with all the old guys.
Nobody talks stupid around the old guys.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
Some people can't take a SUBTLE HINT that they are bothering you. :confused:

When I come across these kinds of people I have no problem telling them my feelings. Sometimes, it means having to tell them flat out that they are bothering what would typically be an enjoyable time, and basically to bug off and leave us alone to shoot.

I've had people actually butt in in the middle of a conversation in a restaurant and start to get involved - just like they are part of OUR conversation! :mad:

I try not to hurt people's feelings, but some people have no consideration or manners and don't know that they shouldn't be BARGING IN to a conversation (or, in this thread, a quality time at the range). :cuss: I think there is a word for it and that word is IGNORANT (or, ignoramus).

If it is convenient to move to another part of the range, then you could do that, however, you shouldn't have to move because someone else is making, what would be a good time, miserable.

I do find it happening a lot less -- the older I get.

If the guy picked the only bench next to yours at an empty range, that is a problem. I realize the guy might THINK he is being helpful, but if not anything else what it actually ADDS for a new shooter is UNWANTED CONFUSION!

Send him with his big boomer over to sit next to me and I'll pull out my full house burner loads with ball powder in my 500 Magnum. Guaranteed, he'd move just from the stuff spitting out the sides and all the fire!

That's one reason I only go to the range when necessary, and try to go when no one else is around. There is nothing like just me and my guns at an empty range.

Andy-Y
September 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
In my area, near Detroit, we get lots of so called "gangstas" at the range :rolleyes:. Last week the one next to me had a nice S&W .44 revolver, I wasn't paying much attention untill I noticed his girlfriend laughing at him. I glimpsed over and noticed he had shot about a box of shells and hit the target once! :D Oh, and the guy with the sub-gun scared the $%&@ outa the wife! Nothing too annoying though, sorry to hear about your "buddy"!

Prepster
September 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
I encounter some wannabe gangbangers from time to time, but they're usually harmless. Actually, a guy next to me one day was holding his Springfield sideways and actually hitting the target! While we were both reloading our mags I complimented him on his shooting, and he responded: "I'm a minority, I'm required to shoot that way!"

The most annoying guy I ever saw was a mall ninja type with an AK variant. He kept talking about how he was prepared to take on anybody and anything, except he was at the pistol area shooting a dinner-plate sized group at 25 yards.

Some folks are annoyed by full auto fire. I'm a proud member of the NFA club, but I always make an effort to warn people/ask if they mind if I burn through a magazine. That way they don't complain about me on the internet. ;)

Curator
September 17, 2008, 10:14 PM
Public range, S.W. Florida: I arrive at 10am on a Sunday (mistake) five of six rifle stations are occupied. I set up on station #6. Shaved-head Biker and Friend arrive and take up places on benches behind. Since I have yet to set up targets (the other shooters are ignoring me) I take up polite conversation with Biker & company. Fellow range-mates continue to ignore me, Biker points to my gear and inquires: "how much longer will you be?" I explain that I arrived about five minutes before him and had yet to put up a target. "I'm sure that one of these guys will be leaving shortly", I offered. "How about I punch you in the mouth and take your position?" my Biker replied. Flumixed, I responded foolishly with: "Bold words for a bald-headed fat man" and lifted my shirt to show my Colt Officer's model .45. He glared at me but made no move. He and his "babe" mounted up and left a few minutes later, while my range neighbors continued to shoot and ignore me. Ten minutes later one of them ran out of target or ammo and called for a cold range. No more public range for me--thank you!

KiltedClaymore
September 17, 2008, 10:48 PM
sadly, i think i may slightly resemble "the most annoying man at the range". now, im not like some of the folks you all have mentioned (the type that wont shut up after directly being TOLD to shut up), but i like to "talk shop" during cease-fires. and if i see a gun i like/dont recognise, im gonna compliment/ask it's owner about it.

Odd1
September 18, 2008, 12:34 AM
Indeed some interesting stories.

I shhot at a private range, you have to be a member of the gun club.

Range usually not busy (on the week days anyway).

Everyone really nice when you need to set up targets, lend you a stapler if you run out of staples, he pass targets around becasue sometimes someone forgets.

I learned to stick with a private range after a scary incident.

I was at a public range, table was 50 feet from the berm but had firing lines all the way up to 7 ft.

As I was only on the range I was at the seven yard line. Heard some folks speaking behind me and turned to look. A family that seemd to be talking and waiting. I asked them if they wanted to set up targets they send no and continued to talk. So I kept shooting.

Much to my surpise, shoots rang out behind me. They were shooting at an old target at the 50 ft line (that means bullets flying past me :what:)

Caalmy as possible I tunred and ran back giving them as much room as possible.

Packed up and left. It has been the private range ever since.

I know should have screamed/talked/explained to them this is bad, just did not have the energy or at the time ability to control my emotions.

I blamed myself for letting folks I do not know stay behind me with firearms, regardless of what I thought there intentions were.

If you are forced to use a public range, be careful, stay safe.

bsf
September 18, 2008, 01:02 AM
When I want someone to leave me alone, I spontaneously perform a couple of barrel roles and then empty whatever firearm I am shooting at the area around my target(s). Then I drop the firearm and charge the target w/ knife drawn, screaming “Die! I kill you! Die”. That usually does the trick.

thebucket
September 18, 2008, 01:30 AM
bsf, the proper technique is to fix bayonets (and call out the order like you're commanding a troop formation) and then charge screaming at the target.:D

Mickstix
September 18, 2008, 01:34 AM
These have got to be the BEST threads on the forum!! I love reading all the short stories..

Stevie-Ray
September 18, 2008, 01:39 AM
I don't have to pretend. ;)

People don't often approach me at the range and I do my best not to intrude on other folks' range time.:D Just a guess, but I think he meant daft. That would generally keep people of all types away. I might even venture to say you could end up with the range all to yourself.:D

Mrs. Armoredman
September 18, 2008, 01:40 AM
I agree Mickstix. I like reading short stories about experences at the range. I never bother anyone at the range. They are there for a reason. I don't intrude on thier personal time at the range. I for one would not want some strange man/woman asking to try out my guns if I don't know who they are.

p2000sk
September 18, 2008, 01:45 AM
I close and lock the gate behind me on my way in.

jackdanson
September 18, 2008, 01:50 AM
I've had guys fire down range while I was changing targets at unattended ranges.. that is pretty annoying. (yes, that really happened once, I shot them the stink eye then packed up my stuff and came back once they were gone.. they were wannabe homeboys)

ColinthePilot
September 18, 2008, 03:40 AM
I know I posted a couple pages back that I haven't had an annoying "talker" at the range. Thats still true. I have one at work.
I've been working with this guy for about a year and a half, and he is generally regarded as "that guy." After a couple months he found out I'm a shooter. That was his cue to give me the rundown on every gun he owns and why its the best, every perp he chased down while he was a LEO with no detail forgotten, every gun he fired in the Army, and why its the best gun EVAR, etc. Finally I agree to go to the range with him (after all, he's been trained by the police, the Army, and the Air Force; he must be at least safe. he was. I digress). We go to the range and I brought 2 pistols. One was my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro, which needs a new extractor. I knew this, but having not fired it in a few months, I hoped it had magically fixed itself. When I went through 2 mags full of FTE's, mr shooter became mr gunsmith and told me no fewer than 50 times that I must need a new extractor. I shot the rest of the day on my Sig P6, which obviously didn't hold a candle to his .44 SPECIAL :what: or his .357 Magnum. They were the best guns EVAR cuz their bullitz is bigger than mine. But the for realz best gun EVAR was his Para-Ordnance "Big Dawg" (I think) which is a brick of a double-stack 1911 style .45. I told him I didn't like it because I was gripping a 2X4, but he insisted it was still the best and showed me how good it was by drawing a smiley face on his target at 10ft.

I'll never get through to him. Now I just try to avoid talking shooting with him. I'll never go to the range with him again. Unfortunately, I showed him where my new range is, so he goes there too.:banghead:

evan price
September 18, 2008, 03:44 AM
Well, the public range near me is attended by a state employee who is usually a Fish & Game cop working off season. That keeps most of the idjits at bay.

So far this year, there is the old guy who comes out with a nice older Garand, fires maybe 1 clip through it (Yes, CLIP, Garands have clips, not mags, *ping* and all that)- but he is at the rane maybe 4 hours to fire those 8 shots, and he spends all his time walking up and down the firing line asking people a lot of personal questions, do you belong to the NRA, stuff like that.

There is the guy who was brass ratting- Hey, I'm a brass rat, but I believe as long as someone is at their lane, they own their brass!- Anyway, this guy was literally scooping up brass as it is ejected from the gun. It was annoying this shooter, who changed over to a Mosin-Nagant with a 16.25" barrel and lit off a couple shots. The brass rat clutched his ears and staggered back, cussing and fuming.

Then there are the guys who show up with a nice AR and set up ten yard targets and proceed to hold a nice 12" group at ten yards and brag about how they bought the cryogenic steel heavy barrel with flutes and stinger missiles and a laser sight that shoots down satellites and how uber-Awesome the rifle is.
The standard response from the RO is, "If any rifle I owned shot like that I'd send it back to the factory."

Then there's the carload of early 20-somethings that always have at least one AK and a few pistols that just can't stop bumpfiring. Or rapid fire mag dumps in the pistols. While giggling, usually.

Let's see, there's the "Most Powerful Handload In The World" guy.

There's the "Anything less than a .50 Deagle is for wusses and pussified men" guy.

There's the guy who shows up and runs 500 patches through his gun between shots because he's "breaking in" a new barrel- and lets the patches just drop on the ground and blow around.

BEST ANECDOTE EVAR:

True Story:
I have a Savage-Springfield 120 .22 single shot rifle I got cheap. It had no rear sight. I stuck a cheap BSA riflescope on it on some freebie rings I got and went to site it in, but forgot my binoculars. It's hard to see a .22 hole in a target at 50 yards with no binocs, especially since the scope wasn't even boresighted, just stuck on, so I moved the target holder to the pistol line at 7 yards for starters to get it on paper. Well, the scope was so far off I was getting frustrated, I'd got there 20 minutes before closing, and I still hadn't gotten it in the 10-ring yet. When you arethat close it takes a lot of clicks to move your POI!
Anyway, the RO calls last shots, I took the last shot, and was just outside the 10-ring. Frustrated, I put the rifle down and someone made a comment about how the safest place on the range was behind my target. So I took my FAL bayonet I had in my shooters bag and whipped it at the target. It stuck low and in the bull, and the entire target stand fell over on the ground. (It was a home-made jobbie out of scrap lumber).

Well, after the laughter died down, the RO gently reminded me it was a SHOOTING range not a knife range.

VPLthrneck
September 18, 2008, 04:30 AM
Remember she is only 16 and looks like she's pushing 16.

Print up a little card to hand to the next guy that attempts to hit on her there that says: "Bubba at (insert state prison name here) needs a new roomate and heard you might be available for the next 10-20." I bet you don't see him for a while.

A year or so ago when I was stationed in San Diego, I took my Henry .22 to the range to sight it in; it's an indoor range and the only allowed rifles are .22's. After I had it sighted in, 4 guys (mid-late 20's) had set up next to me and started shooting, ok no big deal. After a few (30+) shots at a 15 yard target, I noticed the guys not shooting would look over, talk amongst themselves, point over the shoulder thing, at me and kind of laugh. OK still no big deal, you want to shoot your pistols fine whatever, I like my Henry. Now I'm taking my time, getting groups of 17 that are 2-3 inches, although a little high of the bull. Several minutes later I heard one of them say just loud enough "that's a rabbit gun" then his 3 buddies start laughing. I reload the tube, put up a new target, run it out to the 25 yard line (max distance at this range), throw the rifle into the shoulder and roll off a steady stream as fast as I can work the lever. A nice little 2 inch group, that on a hi-vis target turned into a green spot, 6 inches above the bull. After I set the Henry down, I looked over at those guys and they were pretty quiet. Two of them step up to their bench to load magazines, and the others acted like they were looking for stuff in their bags. I gathered up my stuff, sacked up the Henry, looked at the one guy who was not pretending to be busy, and just smiled and nodded. Something tells me these 4 don't talk smack about lever guns, even the small ones. :)

KiltedClaymore
September 18, 2008, 06:53 PM
"that's a rabbit gun"

to which i would have replied "indeed it is, your point?"

nothing wrong with shooting rabbit guns for fun! :D

Bartkowski
September 18, 2008, 07:12 PM
Another thing that really annoys me is when people take up 10 benches. The one public range I like to go to only has 6 benches, fortunately it is empty most of the time. But every once in a while we get a crowd there. One time these two guys felt the need to put two hard cases on one bench, a spotting scope and a gun case on another bench and then one guy would shoot from a third bench. Meanwhile I am there with two friends and don't have a place to shoot.

We stood for ten minutes before anyone bothered to move some stuff into there car. (about 5ft from the benches)

Another interesting day was seeing a guy with some barret bolt action. He shot at 100 yards, let his barrel cool for quite a while and was left with a 6" group.

camoman33935
September 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
Nah... Here's what you gotta do.....

Lean in close to him, look deep into his eyes, gently remove one side of his earmuffs, and whisper in his ear "I love you" and just act like nothin happened after that

He should pretty well leave you alone after that.....

SuperNaut
September 18, 2008, 07:40 PM
No one has ever said a single word to me at the range, I think I may possess a "vibe."

Besides talking at the range is like talking in the bathroom, id est; there isn't any.

Rmac58
September 19, 2008, 01:31 AM
At the range today, I was at the 25 yarder, two fellas, had to be brothers, and a woman were shooting a big rifle of some kind. They went to the furthest spot from me, I was over to one side, mostly. I made a point of acknowledging them, so they could set up targets, and call a cold range. They asked, I said OK and backed away from the line, as per instructions.
All went well, I overheard the guy/s explaining the proper stance, posture etc. she seemed to be pretty accurate.
Two thumbs up.
At this range, there are no RO's, it's understood how to act when another shooter approaches.

R.W.Dale
September 19, 2008, 01:37 AM
I think I actually know who this thread is about

and YEAH! he's that damn annoying

Most people refer to him as "that annoying guy"

woad_yurt
September 19, 2008, 01:59 AM
To ge someone to shut up without saying a word to them:
Try looking at the top of his forehead instead of in his eyes. Don't blink and don't say a word. Soon, he'll stop talking and there will be a very awkward pause. He'll probably say a word or two more and then there'll be more silence and then he'll go away. Remember, stare at the top of their foreheads, say nothing, and don't blink. I guarantee they'll leave you alone after that. It looks really messed up. Try it.

rondog
September 19, 2008, 02:15 AM
I don't seem to have this problem with folks buggin' me.....http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/nose.gif

halfbreed808
September 19, 2008, 02:56 AM
Rondog, That's hilarious.:p

jerkface11
September 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
Does this guy drive a minivan? If so I know who you're talking about.

EBRDude
September 19, 2008, 01:42 PM
I shoot from my back deck, but sometimes I get tired of hearing myself talk to myself. I am like "why don't you just be quiet so I can shoot?" Of course, then I have to make some smart reply like "you can't shoot worth a damn anyway"
It goes on and on until I get fed up and go back inside.

JeffDilla
September 19, 2008, 01:48 PM
woad_yurt, i just had a good mental image of that and got a nice laugh. I'm going to remember that one.

JeffDilla
September 19, 2008, 01:50 PM
and by the way, I'm looking to join the private range in my area fairly soon and now im paranoid of being "that guy" or even worse "that new guy". Thanks guys...;)

siglite
September 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hmm.... I wonder if somewhere on the internet there's a post about me being "that guy."

No, I don't have the coolest firearms evar. No, I'm not going to give you unsolicited shooting advice, even if you desperately need it. No, I'm not going to open up with people downrange. I've never bumpfired anything, and the most "ninja-esque" thing I do is draw-fire drills and emergency reloads over on the end of the line, assuming the benches nearby are clear.

But! If I'm on the range, and you show up, at some point during a cease fire, I'm likely to walk up, introduce myself, and hand you a WVCDL flier. Sometimes that leads to more conversation about nearly anything from local/state firearms laws to "hey man, you ever shot a garand?"

But I try to be pretty good at reading people. If they don't want to talk, I just leave 'em a flier and go. If they do want to talk, I'll stand there and BS with 'em. At least until my trigger finger gets all itchy again, then I'll wander back to my firing point and start shooting again.

bandreassen
September 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm just starting with this sport and have only been to a public range a few times. It definitely gets your attention when someone shows up with an assalt type rifle and fires round after round after round. Even the RO was complaining about the noise.

Maia007
September 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
Stop "being polite" and do what needs to be done. Or continue to choose to be victimized by this yahoo.

crzbiker
September 24, 2008, 12:39 AM
You know I never have those problems. I go to the range. Fire Czech loads through my 7.62 Tokarev just to watch the muzzle flash and see people duck. After, I go pick up all the ejected brass from all the bays on the right and wish them a happy day. Hey wait a sec! Are you guys talking about me?

3KillerBs
September 24, 2008, 10:45 AM
I guess we've been lucky so far. The only problem we've had is the issue of people doing 7-10yard action shooting on the 25yard range when we came to do 25yard bullseye shooting. Since its a private club most people are pretty reasonable if you ask politely that they move to the 15yard range that is meant for action shooting.

But it if keeps up they may actually have to post a formal rule.

mrming
September 28, 2008, 12:43 AM
It had been a while since I really had any probs at the ranges I go to.

I stay away from the public ones, despite having one 5 minutes from the house. The RO's are decent, but you can't run any drills, no rapid fire, and the RO's give you trouble if you pickup brass.

Even if some 'helpful' kid is sweeping up your 44 mag cases and dumping it in the range bucket before they are cold. Teach me not to bring a sack for hot brass..

anyway. Was on the pistol range today at a private. Only has about 6 target stands, no tables to speak of. Distance goes all the way out to 50 meters. A friend and I had setup and were working at 10 across two stands a piece. No one else was out there and we'd tossed some clays up on the berm for some reactive targets.

Fellow shows up carrying a shiny ruger in 357. Gives us the stink eye because they are only two stands left. Goes to the far end and starts lighting 'em off at 25 meters while we were at 10 still.

Great. So my friend and I back it up to about his distance. He comes over and chats us up about his 158 gr at 2000fps almost-compressed powder handloads and how it'd mess some one up.. and how only a ruger could handle that.

His woman was sheepishly tagging along with a smith snubbie.. she'd originally setup at 10 yards but DH had moved her back.. My friend and I had ran out of mags and the fellow finally agreed to his woman going forward again. On the stand furthest away from us while we were reloading.

Didn't call out he was going forward. Pistol range is a good 50 yards across. I move up to 15 and work through a mag.. at the opposite end of the range from them. With them all of 4 steps further forward and a good 30-40 yards separating us.

He grabs her and literally runs all the way back to their car. I took a peek at his human-target. He'd strung out vertically over the entire height, and had some fliers barely on the sheet. It was a 4-5 foot group.

Some people have a real failure to communicate.. and consider no ones safety but their own.

rantingredneck
September 28, 2008, 12:52 AM
There's a guy who frequents the range where I hold a membership. He's probably 20 years or so my senior. He's always giving advice on all things rifle. Whether you want it or not. Whether it applies to your particular situation or not.

Last trip out where I ran into him he sternly advised me to torque my action screws to Remington factory tolerances. This was after I told him I'd floated the barrel back to the action. So what purpose would torquing the screws to Rem factory specs be without the pressure posts? :rolleyes:. He's also told me on three separate occasions that my sandbags were crap and I'd never get them to be stable enough to shoot good groups from. M'kay. Last time he said this I proceeded to fire a 5 shot quarter sized group (I pulled the 5th shot, the other four can be covered by a nickel) from said crappy sandbags with my untorqued .243.

There's advice, and there's useless pontification.

LongRider
September 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
As soon as we stop paying stupid people money for breeding, it will stop. I shoot in my back yard so its a non issue for me

Prepster
September 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
^ Kind of off topic, but +1 anyway.

LongRider
September 28, 2008, 01:36 PM
Lean in close to him, look deep into his eyes, gently remove one side of his earmuffs, and whisper in his ear "I love you" and just act like nothin happened after that

He should pretty well leave you alone after that.....
In Seattle you may find him waiting to go on that date with you

R.W.Dale
September 28, 2008, 02:38 PM
You guy's simply do not fathom the level of annoying this guy can exude. I've met the guy this thread is about, all of the tactics mentioned would be LOST on this guy.

You could start talkin about colon distress and this yahoo would try to but into the conversation with wanton abandon

MinnMooney
September 28, 2008, 03:18 PM
Wow.

Sometimes, I guess, you just have to impolite and tell him his comments and invasionary ways are just not wanted.

KerrikWolf
September 28, 2008, 04:51 PM
I go to an outdoor private range with my wife twice a month. She's working on improving while I'm working to unlearn all the bad habits I picked up in a misspent youth (It is working! Now if only I can stop anticipating the first round...). We go twice a month because it's a bit of drive, but it's a nice place and worth it and we feel that since we both have CHLs we need to stay in practice if only so we don't shoot each other in an emergency.

There is no RO, but we get there around the crack of dawn and seldom see anyone. The ones that do show up that early are the competition shooters and they're like us, wanting to shoot and maybe chitchat a little.

There is a most annoying guy, though. The first Saturday of every month we have range cleanup. We replace backing boards, the post that someone with an AR has shot up that month (We're looking to find out who he is and when we do, he's gone.) and spray for weeds and clean up all the brass that others don't bother policing.

The most annoying guys are the ones who show up to help with the cleanup and spend the next three hours shooting the bull with each other without picking up a darned thing. I'm a relatively new member, so I don't have the authority to tell them to get working or get lost, and it's so frustrating to watch them kicking back and then being thanked at the meetings for helping with the cleanup.

Still, for the most part it's a wonderful place to shoot.

Crazy Fingers
September 28, 2008, 04:51 PM
Oh I think the worst is the guy who shows up with the AR (always to the left of you, for some reason) and just blasts away like crazy at 25 yards. Meanwhile you're trying to really focus and shoot very accurate long range groups!!!

Brass_Monkey
September 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
Frankly I can't stand reloaders at the range. They always approach and ask if they can have my brass. I do not reload so I always tell them to help themslves. Upon learning that I do not reload they then proceed to lecture me on the folly of my ways and inform me I am foolish for not reloading. Question if everybody reloaded then where would you vultures get your free brass?

I swear reloaders are like the Jehovas Witnesses of the shooting world.

3pairs12
September 28, 2008, 05:22 PM
^^ ouch. Well except I am niether

TEDDY
September 28, 2008, 06:43 PM
I sugest reloading because it keeps the companies in business.and the surplus is drying up.almost all our gun manufactury is owned by foreign firms.
but you are right some shooters are pests.My range indoor in Mass is a target range and talkihg while shooting is discouraged.by the way dont worry about those 500 S&W shooters as soon as there wrists deteriate they will be gone.

Jaybird78
September 28, 2008, 07:32 PM
This is the guy that pisses me off. I am in my early 30's but still get carded for beers and even cigs every once in awhile. Some say I look 24 tops....damn baby face. They try to play "you do what I tell you to do because I've been a member here X number of years." Or "these are the rules because I said so" even though I carry a set with me when I shoot." We have a strict no trespassing policy and on two occations over the last 5 years I have been accused of not being a member (have a membership card in wallet). Twice I have been told a range was closed because a match(opposite range) or a prick didn't want me shooting. I have always been "polite yet assertive" that it was not the case and to mind their own damn business. It has never gotten physical but heated words have been exchanged once.

Not to paint my club as a scumhole. For every ONE prick there are 15 great guys that will talk to you like an equal and discuss things rationally.

Remember not everyone is your friend.

CC Bob
September 29, 2008, 02:41 PM
Quote : "Have you been out there lately? It's actually not a half bad place to shoot anymore.

The homeys and the hood-rats don't show up anymore. Showing up with anything other than a .22 or handgun at the handgun range WILL get you bounced out of there.

It's actually cleaned up well.

But the guy with the .50 BMG is a complete turd. He was out there a few weeks ago with his maroon H2. The guy is about 4'10" and has the worst Napolean complex I've ever seen. Thinks he's god gift to humanity."

Is this the "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" idiot I ran across a couple of years back there? What a toolbag that guy was... rapid fired 10 rounds through his 50BMG with a buddy videotaping :rolleyes:

Otherwise.. I haven't had any real problems at Cecil Webb (well, except for the time some guys thought it would be cool to run a couple of mags though a "converted" AK at full auto - we packed up and left)

wyosasquatch
September 30, 2008, 01:30 AM
I was out shooting a Thanksgiving day match (Cold day) at the outdoor range. Everyone was shooting out of the shed and staying warm around the heater. A guy showed up to shoot the match and he was bragging that he was going to shoot the match with one cartridge case. He then proceeded to take over half of the benches by spreading out his shooting boxes (thats right, boxes-plural) and his gun case and his reloading equipment.

He then proceeded to set up an entire reloading station, press, powder measure, scale etc. He would shoot one shot and then reload the case for the next shot. He followed through with his promise to shoot the match with one case but managed to tick off everyone there.

I couldn't believe that he had the guts to do this. No one said anything though so what could I (16 years old at the time) do about it?

BikerRN
September 30, 2008, 05:10 AM
When I go to the Indoor Range people tend to leave. :D

That's because I'm the guy that sweeps the floor around his area to collect his brass. I then take a 3" .357 Magnum and run the Target out to 25 Yards. I shoot six rounds, then bring the Target to 15 yards and shoot six more rounds.

After that I work at the 1.5 Yardline, 3 Yardline and 7 Yardline respectively. Drawing from the leather and shooting double and triple taps. All this is done using .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP's. The center of my Target is "one big hole" with two or three "flyers" in to the 8 ring. I usually shoot two boxes of ammo in this manner, fifty round boxes.

When I get done, I pick up my brass and leave. By the time I leave most of the other lanes have been cleared due to people thinking "it's too noisy". Once I proved to the Staff at the Range that I was only firing .357 Magnum they left me alone, but they did complain that I was "rattling their windows". :D I've been asked to come in to shoot when it's "Not as busy".

The only question I ever get from somebody is, "What are you shooting?" or "Are you shooting a .44 Mag?"

BikerRN

PILMAN
September 30, 2008, 04:23 PM
I have had one or two annoyances. Went shooting at the range and one of the guys was plinking away with his ruger .22, started talking and what not and started talking about how the NRA was too radical and extreme and how people shouldn't have AK47's and M16's (while i'm pulling out my Galil). He went on to say there should be other organizations and that shooting should only be for sport. I basically just kept waving him off saying "well that's your opinion but i'm just here to shoot".

RDak
October 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Pilman, that was a horror story!!

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing imagining a video of that one. You know, I envision your eyes rolling, shoulders slumping in exasperation and, all the while you're just trying to have some fun shooting your rifle. :D

Just let Pilman shoot for Godsakes!!

Pilman: Did you go out for a few beers after shooting to unwind from that windbag experience? :D:D:eek:

SuperNaut
October 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
He was out there a few weeks ago with his maroon H2.

Well, that's pretty much all ya need to know, isn't it?:)

If you enjoyed reading about "The most annoying man at the gun range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!