Best round for GP100 .357 Magnum

PDA

heavyshooter
September 16, 2008, 01:13 AM
Many of you will recall that my wife laid claim to my Ruger SP101 so I went out and picked up a GP100 yesterday. I will be using this gun for trail hikes and I am looking for a good round. I am wonder who makes a good 158gr. .357 Magnum round that is accurate from the GP100. I am also wondering where I can get the best price for it on line.

Thanks in advance
Heavy

If you enjoyed reading about "Best round for GP100 .357 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
September 16, 2008, 04:03 AM
There are so many good rounds out there today it's very hard to say which will fire accurately in YOUR revolver. For use as a trail gun you will probably be best off with a heavy Hard Cast bullet. DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, CarBon, Federal and Remington all make heavy Hard Cast rounds which are accurate too. Which is most accurate in your revolver is a question only you can answer.

I reload my own and use a 180gr hard cast bullet from Cast Performance (http://www.castperformance.com/Detail.bok?no=5). If you don't reload you can get the same bullet in loaded ammo from Grizzly Cartridges (http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-strse-3/357-MAG/Detail.bok). This is a great round with good velocity and the bullet had a generous meplat. (both are really the same company) Since your GP100 is heavy and well made it will handle this ammo easily.

C-grunt
September 16, 2008, 04:57 AM
Out hiking I would get a hard cas solid like Archangel said. It will have the penetration needed against large angry animals and the large meplat will still do well in self defense against the angry two legged animals.

gwnorth
September 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
Remington makes a nice 158gr semi-jacketed softpoint. I've shot it from my 6" GP100 with good accuracy at 25yds. It's pricey though (like $35-$40 per box of 50).

19-3Ben
September 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
I carry THESE. (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=49) Awesome specs, great price, nicely made, and fantastic customer service. I sent the company an e-mail at 10:15 at night. I had a reply from the owner himself by 11:00.

H2O MAN
September 16, 2008, 09:33 AM
Slight hijack...

Is their one round that would perform very well in a 6" GP100 as well as a 16" Winchester Trapper?

kolob10
September 16, 2008, 10:17 AM
Try Natchez shooting supply for best price. They have monthly specials.

19-3Ben
September 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
Is their one round that would perform very well in a 6" GP100 as well as a 16" Winchester Trapper?

The one I linked to above.

H2O MAN
September 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:

19-3Ben

The one I linked to above.

Thanks!

Water-Man
September 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
H2O Man...I like the Buffalo Bore Ammo 158gr.

19-3Ben
September 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
BB is also an excellent recommendation, and comparable to the DT that I put out there. I just prefer DT because it has very similar performance and costs between 1/2 and 2/3 the price of BB.

foghornl
September 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
What else might be wandering about in the areas where you trail/hike?

Not quite the same, but the most accurate load I have found for my .357 Blackhawk and Vaquero is the 158-Gr Speer Gold Dot

Chris Plitt
September 16, 2008, 04:50 PM
@heavyshooter

I have a 4" GP100 Stainless, I run the .38 +P SWCHP, the old FBI load. If it was good enough for the FBI, then its good enough for me... and BTW, the only reason its not still in use is because of replacement by automatics! Its accurate, it doesn't bite as hard as the .357 but it still does a wonderful job.

wnycollector
September 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
I agree with 19-3Ben, DT makes excellent quality, VERY REASONABLY priced SD ammo. I have nothing but good things to say about their ammo and customer service!

Also, Heavyshooter I feel your pain! I am fighting a loosing battle with my wife for my 2.75" Ruger Security Six!

Quoheleth
September 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
I understand the siren cry of the high-end ammo, but I gotta tell you, my GP100 (6") and SP101 (3") both ***LOVE*** CCI Blazer aluminum. The only downfall is that it can't be reloaded. It's a moderate magnum load, spooky accurate, a 158gr Speer HP bullet, and relatively cheap so you can shoot it to practice and carry.

My favorite reloadable, budget-minded ammo is Academy's Monarch 158 gr. I think it's a little hotter than CCI Blazer, brass reloadable case, and still in hollowpoint.

I buy both of them over Winchester Win-Clean or WWB.

Both are in the $20/box range.

Q

Ben Shepherd
September 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
Don't forget about Georgia Arms canned heat. Good ammo, good price.

BigBlock
September 17, 2008, 04:57 PM
I don't think there is such thing as a "bad" round for the GP100. :) Mine likes $20/box American Eagle (Federal) 158 JSP.

ArchAngelCD
September 18, 2008, 04:44 AM
Come on people, he asked about "woods carry" ammo. I like DoubleTap a lot as well as Speer, Remington, Federal and Winchester but those are all hollow point bullets made to stop a man, not a animal. The JSP ammo isn't a bad idea but a hard cast is just a little better.

My first post is valid and I appreciate C-grunt's post verifying what I said. I strongly feel a hard cast bullet with a large meplat is what should be carried in the woods. All the other suggestions are good rounds but not for that job. Now These (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=151) DoubleTap rounds are a whole different story because they use a 180gr Hard Cast bullet.

Ben Shepherd
September 18, 2008, 07:49 AM
FYI: Georgia Arms has a load that uses a 158 speer gold dot hollow point. Perfectly adequate slug for woods carry.

Yes a 180 hardcast will go deeper out of a pistol barrel, but there are 2 things that have me reccomending a 158.

1. More controllable recoil if a fast second shot is needed.
2. Gun is most likely sighted for a 158 load.

That gold dot slug specifically can be driven VERY fast without blowup or seperation. It will hold together through bone and tough muscle just fine.

wnycollector
September 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
Since the OP lives in CO and they do have lots of critters with teeth out there...I would probably lean twords the 180 hardcast as well.

heavyshooter
September 18, 2008, 04:36 PM
ArchAngelCD is addressing the very concern that I had in mind. I want something that will be a one shot stopper for Cougars and Coyotes. It is my guess that whatever works on them will work on two legged predators as well. :rolleyes:

Matt-J2
September 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
A hit with a hardcast 158gr SWC is better than a miss with a 180gr.

So just make sure to sight in(yay adjustable sights!) with the 180gr and make sure you hit well with it. :)

goon
September 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
You got real bears in your area?
By real, I mean anything bigger than your average black bear.

If not, I'd say the 158 grain JSP would be a decently balanced choice.
If you do or if the blackies get a little on the large side in your area, go with something hard cast.

FWIW, there isn't any such thing as a 100% reliable one-shot-stop ammunition.
Yeah, some are better than others and are pretty good in this respect, but anything you shoot once you should expect to have to shoot again, especially a predator.

BigBlock
September 18, 2008, 06:44 PM
If you want a real one shot stopper for woods carry, you need a .44 Magnum. ;)

ArchAngelCD
September 19, 2008, 12:47 AM
I have a feeling the posts telling you a round with 158gr JHP bullet is more controllable than a round using a 180gr LSWC bullet in a 4" GP100 have never shot a 180gr round in a heavy 4" .357 Magnum. I have shot everything from a 110gr bullet to a 200gr bullet from a .357 Magnum and I can tell you there is very little, if any difference in recoil between a 158gr JHP and 180gr hard cast round. The major difference comes from how hot the rounds are. I could easily load a 180gr bullet in a .357 Magnum case and make it feel like a .38 Special.

Since we are all talking about fairly hot ammo like that made by DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore and Grizzly it's all going to have a good amount of recoil, that's why we practice. If you're scared to shoot the round you should be using to protect yourself, don't carry the gun.

heavyshooter,
I'm glad you found my suggestions interesting. I hope I was helpful.
BTW, I recommended Grizzly ammo because I've used it and it's accurate. Other Hard Cast .357 Magnum rounds like those made by DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, CarBon and others will probably do just as well. I would stay away from Hard Cast .357 Magnum rounds made by Remington, Speer and Federal because they are underpowered.

heavyshooter
September 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
FWIW, there isn't any such thing as a 100% reliable one-shot-stop ammunition.
Yeah, some are better than others and are pretty good in this respect, but anything you shoot once you should expect to have to shoot again, especially a predator. -- goon

Gotcha. This is a good point.

Gunner4h1r3
September 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'd have to agree with the others on a heavy hard cast solid load.

When I had a GP-100 with a four inch barrel, I loaded it with PMC Starfires. Although PMC no longer exists I am sure there are a bunch of existing supplies of it out there (the local shop here in Norfolk has tons of them for 15.00 a box of 20)

357wheelgunner
September 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
If you want a real one shot stopper for woods carry, you need a .shoulder fired rifle or shotgun

Fixed.

If you're serious about defending yourself against cougars, bears, rutting elk, or whatever, you need to carry a shotgun with slugs or a high powered rifle.

As a backup handgun, for cougars, cyotes, badguys, or last ditch bear, the 158gr Gold Dot from Speer or Buffalo Bore would be a great compromise. Less recoil than the hot hard cast loads and you will get some expansion in anything you shoot it into.

ArchAngelCD
September 19, 2008, 01:51 PM
When I had a GP-100 with a four inch barrel, I loaded it with PMC Starfires. Although PMC no longer exists I am sure there are a bunch of existing supplies of it out there (the local shop here in Norfolk has tons of them for 15.00 a box of 20)
Gunner4h1r3,
PMC Ammo (http://www.pmcammo.com/) is back and I agree, it is/was very accurate ammo. I have a partial box of their 110gr .357 Magnum ammo left over. I hope it's as accurate as it was before it was bought by it's current owner.

AH-1
September 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
if you reload the keith 358429 is one of the best out there for 357 mag imho.
they are just a tad long for my gp100 so you have to crimp on the front driving band forward of the crimp groove.these are a very accurate bullet and weigh in a 173 grs.
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/173gr002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/speedy002.jpg

heavyshooter
September 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
"If you want a real one shot stopper for woods carry, you need a .shoulder fired rifle or shotgun" -- (unknown author)

"If you're serious about defending yourself against cougars, bears, rutting elk, or whatever, you need to carry a shotgun with slugs or a high powered rifle." -- 357wheelgunner

I would have a little trouble hiking long distances with a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 on my back. If I were in brown bear country I would make the sacrifice and carry the extra weight. Living in Colorado, the most likely confrontation would be a Cougar or a Coyote. I believe a .357 Magnum and many of the suggested ammo (see above) should be sufficient.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best round for GP100 .357 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!