Samuel L. Jackson...supports gun ownership?!

PDA

papercut
September 16, 2008, 01:21 AM
Tonight on Conan O'Brien, Samuel L. Jackson, left-wing actor, let it be known that he owns a gun. And not only that, he considers being able to protect yourself to be responsible. :eek:

He didn't get into it too much, possibly because he didn't know how to respond to the shock of the audience and host, but he did offer to recommend a good gun shop to Conan when he moves out to California to take over The Tonight Show.

There was something in there about having a gun to protect yourself is more responsible than having a dog, but if you had both you could throw the dog at an intruder while you got the gun. I'm a little fuzzy on this bit because I was in shock.

Has anyone else heard of pro-gun-ownership comments Jackson has made in the past?

If you enjoyed reading about "Samuel L. Jackson...supports gun ownership?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Diamondback6
September 16, 2008, 01:29 AM
Too bad for him he's admitting to a felony by proclaiming so. IIRC, he's a convicted felon, and unless his firearms rights have been restored through a long-unavailable process, just so much as touching a gun = bigtime no-no.

Catherine
September 16, 2008, 01:30 AM
Good for him if he is PRO gun.

I like him as an actor. I love him for speaking up about GUNS and personal responsibility in self defense issues!

Catherine

fairfax1
September 16, 2008, 01:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson
In 1969, Jackson and several other students held members of the Morehouse College board of trustees (including a nearby Martin Luther King, Sr.) hostage on the campus, demanding reform in the school's curriculum and governance.The college eventually agreed to change its ways, but Jackson was charged with and eventually convicted of a second degree felony (unlawful confinement).

Gunnerpalace
September 16, 2008, 02:20 AM
Probably got his rights restored.

Big +1 From Gunner.

Cosmoline
September 16, 2008, 02:46 AM
Given how long ago that was and the political nature of the crime I'm sure the state has restored his rights by now. Everybody was taking deans hostage back then.

theken206
September 16, 2008, 02:52 AM
plus, after a time some types of felons are eligble for ownership IIRC

bogie
September 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
Being one of us is fashionable now...

One of us...

One of us...

jojosdad
September 16, 2008, 04:06 AM
One of us...

One of us...

Don't tell me someone else out there remembers that movie.:D

bogie
September 16, 2008, 04:12 AM
It ain't called "the freak show tent" at the Knob Creek campground for nothing...

markk
September 16, 2008, 04:22 AM
Gooble gobble...one of us.

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 04:34 AM
I saw it as well and was pretty impressed with his matter-of-fact tone.

This is not what was said, but basically how I remember it from an hour or so ago.

Conan: "So you have a persona in the movies where you're a manly guy but does that transfer to real life? Are the kind of guy that goes to, you know, investigate weird sounds at night and stuff?"

SLJ: "That's always the mistake they make in horror movies. I get my un from between my mattresses and wait for the weird sound to come to you."

Conan: "You have a GUN?! Like, this is the real deal, right? Not some toy gun?"

SLJ: "Yeah I have a gun! I live in CALIFORNIA!It's not a toy at all."

Conan: "Do a lot of people in California have guns?"

SLJ: "Yeah... (of course!). I'll take you to a good gun shop when you move out there if you want."

Samuel L. went on to talk about how people who think their little LA dogs that they dress up or their alarm systems will keep them safe. He also made it clear that it is the responsible thing to be able to protect yourself.

Maybe he was just perpetuating his persona on screen, and maybe he can't even legally own one, but either way, he was professional and responsible about it. Good on him.

bogie
September 16, 2008, 04:38 AM
Dude, I was expecting Miles, and I got acidjazzed?

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 04:44 AM
I figured I'd keep moving things along... in some direction... :uhoh:

There's a good bit of metal in there. We started as a funk band. Were the live band behind some hip-hop groups... Rock-based at all times, nonetheless.

theken206
September 16, 2008, 05:17 AM
"Were the live band behind some hip-hop groups"

really?? who

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 05:21 AM
Nobody really well-known. Did a record & CD release gig for some guy from Chicago and played behind The Bomb Squad. Everybody and their dog rap now-days. They'd see us live, ask if we'd be their band, we'd learn their "songs" on the way to the gig, make 75%, and leave.

One variation is still playing hip-hop with two guys form my group. I'll see if I can find a link on the interwebs.

kcbnac
September 16, 2008, 05:26 AM
It's not up yet (Fri Sept 12, 2008) is the most current listed on the site...but in a day or three we should be able to see the episode here:

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien/video/episodes/

theken206
September 16, 2008, 05:31 AM
thats cool, the bombsquad has produced some tracks for some of the bigs as it were.

cool stuff dude

tigre
September 16, 2008, 05:40 AM
Conan: "You have a GUN?! Like, this is the real deal, right? Not some toy gun?"
What kind of bizarro world does Conan O'Brien live in where someone owning a gun is hard to believe? That's kind of sad. It seems like even if you live in a place where the citizens have been disarmed you'd understand that most of the country doesn't operate that way.

Good for Samuel L. Jackson though. I don't particularly care about celebrities, but a lot of people do, so it's got to be a good thing for them to promote positive values.

Rmac58
September 16, 2008, 08:30 AM
Who cares?

romma
September 16, 2008, 08:38 AM
Who cares?

Many of us care. It is a topic of conversation that pertains to firearms based on a broadcast medium that reaches a fairly vast audience in this country.

We IMO discuss things of this nature so we can try to dispell falsehoods where needed..

It's either we discuss this, or we open another 9mm vs. .45cal thread...

KiltedClaymore
September 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
glad he does, it shows not all left-leaners are anti-gun. plus, its Samual L. Jackson, one of the coolest actors out there.

alistaire
September 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
Too bad for him he's admitting to a felony by proclaiming so. IIRC, he's a convicted felon, and unless his firearms rights have been restored through a long-unavailable process, just so much as touching a gun = bigtime no-no.

Jackson is an actor in California; he can't be convicted of any crime except voting GOP.

Loosedhorse
September 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
Not sure I WANT him as a spokesman for us: "You will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!" :what:

Oh well, can't pick and choose I suppose. Do hope he's done everything legally, though.

Seenterman
September 16, 2008, 10:03 AM
"You will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"

ROTF I think I want him to be our spokesman based soley on this scene.
Who else didn't love that!

streakr
September 16, 2008, 10:05 AM
And you thought all liberals are opposed to the 2A?

s

armoredman
September 16, 2008, 10:29 AM
TheKen206, sorry, but time has nothing to do with it. If you were convicted of a felony at age 18, and were found with any firearm at age 90, you're still guilty.
Congress defunded ATFE many years ago from restoring 2A rights, and they are the only ones who can do it.

Tarvis
September 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
What kind of bizarro world does Conan O'Brien live in where someone owning a gun is hard to believe?
It's not sad really, just something he never grew up with. It's kind of like the irrational fear of guns that is based on ignorance, which is completely ridiculous, and at the same time faintly understandable. If the only thing you ever saw in regards to firearms was movies about people killing others with guns and crimes being committed with guns on the news as opposed to people defending themselves with guns, it's not a far fetched conclusion that a person would be totally devoid of any practical knowledge.

We are the privileged few.

bobehud
September 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Think about what S Jackson said ' i dont go looking for the noise i let them come to me'.....if nothing else he has given serious thought to dealing with someone in his house.

JDoe
September 16, 2008, 12:31 PM
It's not up yet (Fri Sept 12, 2008) is the most current listed on the site...but in a day or three we should be able to see the episode here:

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_C...ideo/episodes/

I'm watching it at http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien/video/episodes/#vid=659843

The part you want to see starts around 22:05

Cosmoline
September 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
Congress defunded ATFE many years ago from restoring 2A rights, and they are the only ones who can do it.

That only applies to FEDERAL crimes. I see nothing to suggest he was charged with a federal crime.

MinnMooney
September 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Who cares?

I care as should you!!:what: When comments are made where millions of people can be influenced, we should all care!

I cared when Rosie O'HughHips used her pulpit on her TV show to verbally attack/ambush Tom Sellek about his membership in the NRA and his gun stance.

I cared when John Kerry was shown in a 'hunting' scene, carrying a semi-auto shotgun (which was one of the weapons the he voted to 'ban') to millions of people just so he could sway the hunting crowd.

I care when 'Joy (something)' on "The View" repeats anti-gun sentiments aping the likes of Kennedy and Pelosi to millions of women every morning. Women are the very group that we should be teaching gun safety, hunting and other various shooting sports to. They are, by far, the biggest, future, untapped source of support that we need.

I CARE !

cxg231
September 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
And you thought all liberals are opposed to the 2A?

Lots of pro-gun democrats in this country.

The "conservative media" just makes it seem like all democrats are antis. :neener:

Tarvis
September 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
Lots of pro-gun democrats in this country.
Plenty of apathetic Republicans as well. How about the Republicans that like to hunt, but don't think we need hi-cap magazines or semi automatic pistol gripped scary rifles? They do exist, my mom married one.

searcher451
September 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
Well, tell me again why should we care what this actor or that actor has to say on the topic. Do we really believe that people are going to listen to a movie actor on TV and adopt his stance on firearms, or politics in general, or the state of the world, or the U.S. economy, or virtually anything else? Not going to happen, folks -- it's not going to happen.

The people who are are pro-gun in this country, be they of one political stripe or the other (and there are plenty of both, despite efforts even on this very board to paint one party as always pro-gun and the other as anti-gun), already have their minds made up on the issue; the opinions of Samuel L. Jackson or anyone else are not going to influence them in any way, shape, or form. They might like to hear it, if ol' Sam agrees with their stance, or they may frump and say that they'll never again watch one of his movies if his opinion is contrary to theirs, but by and large it's not going to change their minds. At the same time, the people who do not have their minds made up -- and these folks are few and far between these days -- are not going to be influenced by a movie actor who gets paid to jaw with some schlub on a TV talk show.

Politicians? We should worry about them. But movie actors? Who cares?

General Geoff
September 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well, tell me again why should we care what this actor or that actor has to say on the topic. Do we really believe that people are going to listen to a movie actor on TV and adopt his stance on firearms, or politics in general, or the state of the world, or the U.S. economy, or virtually anything else?

A lot of people listen to and care about everything a given actor or actress does or believes in. Have you watched television lately? How about looked at a grocery store magazine rack?

XDKingslayer
September 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
Well, tell me again why should we care what this actor or that actor has to say on the topic. Do we really believe that people are going to listen to a movie actor on TV and adopt his stance on firearms, or politics in general, or the state of the world, or the U.S. economy, or virtually anything else?

Go to a SHOT show. Go to the Glock booth. See how many people stand in line to get a picture with R. Lee Ermey...

Gator
September 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
I think its great whenever a popular figure promotes gun ownership, they have much more influence on the masses. I especially like the part about how protecting yourself is being responsible.

Duke Junior
September 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
Go to a SHOT show. Go to the Glock booth. See how many people stand in line to get a picture with R. Lee Ermey...

I think its great whenever a popular figure promotes gun ownership, they have much more influence on the masses. I especially like the part about how protecting yourself is being responsible.

Yes,it really seems to be a positive.We all appreciate Tom Selleck,Bruce Willis,Kurt Russell,Angelina Jolie and Demi Moore for their pro-gun stances.
The more the better to off set the large majority of anti-gunners in the entertainment world.
Kudos to Samuel L.Jackson for his comments.

Quiet
September 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
Like it or not, in the USA, actors & other celebrities are public opinion policy makers.

What they say, do, or support affects a vast majority of sheeple.

So, their viewpoints do matter and you should care what they say. Because they are people who can alter how the sheeple think and act.

In regards to felons having their 2A rights restored it does happen. As long as it's not a federal felony, a state judicial system can expunge the state's criminal record of a person.
So, if a person was convicted of a felony, but years later the court expunged that person's record. That person no longer has a felony and can vote & own firearms again.

feedthehogs
September 16, 2008, 05:21 PM
If you have 500k or more, a donation to the Bush library, as did many for Clinton before he left office, will pardon your felony convictions.

Oh wait. That's not an option for the great unwashed............

cloudedice
September 16, 2008, 05:23 PM
The video is up until 10/02/2008. Samuel L. Jackson is in Act 3. (About 20 minutes in to the episode)

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien/video/episodes/?vid=659843#vid=659843

I quite enjoyed the interview. I always enjoyed Samuel L. Jackson's movies (the more over-the-top the better), good to know he's a 2A supporter as well.

Diamondback6
September 16, 2008, 05:44 PM
If he's had his rights restored... "I can dig it."

CountGlockula
September 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
By Conan's reaction, it tells me he's not willing to protect himself nor his family.

Aran
September 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
Also in the US - http://www.hulu.com/watch/34627/late-night-with-conan-obrien-mon-sep-15-2008

tigre
September 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
At the same time, the people who do not have their minds made up -- and these folks are few and far between these days -- are not going to be influenced by a movie actor who gets paid to jaw with some schlub on a TV talk show.
I think there are a lot of undecided people out there, especially when it comes to something like guns. Most people who don't like guns haven't really been around them and mostly hear negative stories in the media and believe the Brady "statistics" that they read. They're not purposeful antis, they're just afraid of things they're unfamiliar with and are easily emotionally swayed. The more people they are familiar with, look up to, or even just know about who own guns and aren't criminals, the better off we all are.

Rmac58
September 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
MinMooney, perhaps I'm in the minority, I am capable of making thoughtful decisions, no need to rely on celebrity bloviation.

DRZinn
September 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
Look, it's not that his opinion should have any effect on yours, it's that it does have an effect on many other people's, so you should be happy someone so influential (deservedly or not) agrees with you.

Clear? Good. Now you can stop the high-horse, more-independent-than-thou, "why should he matter" lines.

KiltedClaymore
September 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
american culture (read: "alot of the american public") worships film stars as gods. why else is the news filled with celebrity gossip instead of really important, news-worthy, stuff like it used to be (where is walter cronkite when you need him?!)? so if we get as many celebrities as we can over to the pro-gun side, we bring over alot of the "normal" population with them. besides, they have more media coverage/clout than we(or even politicians) do.

jakemccoy
September 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
That's good to hear about Samuel Jackson.

Define "left wing" and "right wing". Those terms don't mean anything anymore and are part of the reason we have trouble electing leaders with values we really want. I wish we could go further and do away with the two-party system, or at least redefine what "republican" and "democrat" really mean.

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
When the vast majority of one part believe one mostly congruent set of values, and the vast majority of another part also believe another set, you can't really look at the handful of exceptions and say "see, there really is no right or left". There is a right and left. Most people who blong to one party or the other believe most of the stuff on that party's platform. Not everything of course, but most.

As for Jackson, I truly hope he is a supporter of the 2A. But that video doesn't really address whether he is a "guns for me but not for you" type, or a true supporter.

Even Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi think they are worthy of protection with guns. Not the rest of us though.

searcher451
September 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
Well, it's good that everybody cares here. But the only discussion you'll hear about this topic -- the only discussion you'll hear -- is right here and on other similar gun boards and forums. It's not around American's dinner tables, with people thoughtfully weighing in with words like, "You know, I saw ol' Samuel L. Jackson on TV last night, and he was pro-gun, and I guess now that I've heard that ol' Samuel L. is pro-gun, I'm pro-gun, too."

Ain't gonna happen, folks. Sorry. The people who are pro-gun are pro-gun already. The people who are anti-gun are anti-gun, regardless of this and what other movie stars have to say. And the people who are undecided are not going to make up their minds on this issue by watching late-night TV.

But hey, good for Samuel L. Jackson regardless.

jerkface11
September 16, 2008, 08:19 PM
It's just another sign that WE are winning the culture war. Nothing more. Nothing less.

tigre
September 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Well, it's good that everybody cares here. But the only discussion you'll hear about this topic -- the only discussion you'll hear -- is right here and on other similar gun boards and forums. It's not around American's dinner tables, with people thoughtfully weighing in with words like, "You know, I saw ol' Samuel L. Jackson on TV last night, and he was pro-gun, and I guess now that I've heard that ol' Samuel L. is pro-gun, I'm pro-gun, too."

Ain't gonna happen, folks. Sorry. The people who are pro-gun are pro-gun already. The people who are anti-gun are anti-gun, regardless of this and what other movie stars have to say. And the people who are undecided are not going to make up their minds on this issue by watching late-night TV.
I think you're fighting with a straw man. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that reasonably intelligent people are going to change their minds on any serious issue based on a celebrity endorsement. But it's a point in our favor, for anyone who primarily associates guns with criminals. This is one person who pretty much everyone has heard of, who has spoken positively about self-defense and gun ownership. There's no need for most people to sit around discussing this or even thinking that much about it. It's just a fact that's in their brains now. It's one point, and it's a point for us. This is a long-term struggle. Every point counts.

Duke Junior
September 16, 2008, 08:41 PM
This is one person who pretty much everyone has heard of, who has spoken positively about self-defense and gun ownership. There's no need for most people to sit around discussing this or even thinking that much about it. It's just a fact that's in their brains now. It's one point, and it's a point for us. This is a long-term struggle. Every point counts.

A big +1.

rickfifty
September 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
Not sure why Conan seemed so averse to guns. Didn't he go out with Hunter Thompson shooting all manner of weapons? And drinking whiskey!
Can't find the video now...it's been pulled from Youtube.

Ethereal
September 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
Wish he would've gone into specifics about what model he had, but I can understand in him being on that show why he wouldn't give Conan the Ted Nugent treatment. :) Either way good for him, no matter who cares what he says.

jerkface11
September 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe he's got the Star from Pulp Fiction.

Autolycus
September 16, 2008, 09:35 PM
Feedthehogs said: f you have 500k or more, a donation to the Bush library, as did many for Clinton before he left office, will pardon your felony convictions.

Do you have any proof of this allegation?

He could have had his rights restored as others have said. Either way, it is ignorant to paint this as a liberal/conservative issue. Some gun owners are liberals as well as some anti-gunners are Republican. Look at the GOP of Illinois.

Rokyudai
September 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
searcher451 said: Do we really believe that people are going to listen to a movie actor on TV and adopt his stance on firearms, or politics in general, or the state of the world, or the U.S. economy, or virtually anything else? Not going to happen, folks -- it's not going to happen.

uh...

The Late Charlton Heston
The Late President Ronald Reagan
Governor Arnie Schwarzenegger
Governor Jesse Venturea

all actors...someone had to listen to them to get elected and liked them enough to keep them in office. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

ihatesnow
September 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
I can't wait to see Uncle Ted on Conan again.

Geronimo45
September 16, 2008, 10:50 PM
The US doesn't have an aristocracy. For some reason, Americans have had a tendency to inflate the true worth/value/etc of titled landowners. Maybe it's all the romantic-era literature. I dunno.
When movie stars came around, they took the place of the aristocrats we didn't have. JP Morgan? Rich guy, smart guy - and plug ugly. Same goes for several of the others. But the movie stars? They're a lot easier on the eyes (except for Gary Busey). They're rich. They became a sort of aristocracy as a consequence. Their lives are exciting. Oh, she's getting married! Oh, she's getting a divorce! Oh, she's going to rehab again!
I won't speculate as to why we like the idea of a wild, crazed, loony, drug-addled aristocracy. Maybe folks just like to feel moral superiority. That would explain the Spears/Lohan/Hilton phenomenon.
Anyways. Movie stars get more facetime on the media than, say, the NRA spokesman. SLJ's a democrat and an Obama supporter. Maybe folks who hold similar views might reconsider gun control just for a second. I dunno... but it can't be bad.

FWIW, Cary Grant made similar statements back in the day. I don't expect a sea change of popular opinion due to Samuel L's remarks, but every bit helps.
Kudos to SLJ, and may his planes ever be free of snakes.

Kind of Blued
September 16, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'll second a complete disagreement with post # 35. I'd bet that there are MILLIONS of people that spend more time with their TVs than their families each weekday.

Wrap your head around this fact for a second. People who were born in 1990 are going to be voting this time around. Gullable, ignorant, and impressionable boys and girls included.

Angelina Jolie's baby's birth affected dozens of millions of people. The fact that our Bill of Rights was almost biled upon... didn't even come up on the radar.

We need all the help we can get. ESPECIALLY from high-profile individuals. It would be nice if every American was pro-active and aware of their rights, especially the loss of them, but they simply are not.

jakemccoy
September 17, 2008, 06:11 AM
I captured the video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cN3uR25U4

I had to do a screen capture of the video. If anybody knows a program that will screen capture video in higher quality, let me know. None of the conventional programs for video download seem to work.

Rmac58
September 17, 2008, 06:45 AM
Seems I've struck a nerve with my opinion. What's the name of this web site? Oh yes, The High Road.
If I weren't pro gun, I wouldn't be here.
And I still don't care what ANYONE thinks.
So, bloviate away.
It's entertaining.

dralarms
September 17, 2008, 07:00 AM
Maybe he didn't tell what he has since it's a purple light sabre left over from Revenge of the Sith. :rolleyes:

Drgong
September 17, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hey, its a good thing, perhaps we can get him to speak to colleges about personal reponsablity in defending yourself, belive me, a lot of college kids will come out in droves to see Sameul L jackson, but if you get a former world leader, 30 folks will show up.

Tarvis
September 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Define "left wing" and "right wing". Those terms don't mean anything anymore and are part of the reason we have trouble electing leaders with values we really want. I wish we could go further and do away with the two-party system, or at least redefine what "republican" and "democrat" really mean.
On the "political spectrum," there are questionaires that will tell you what your political number is; 40 being far left (liberal) and 0 being far right (conservative). I'm not sure which came first, but the spectrum and "left and right" are just tools to help describe the differences in politics. Good luck getting rid of the two party system btw, NO politician wants to increase the amount of competition.

When movie stars came around, they took the place of the aristocrats we didn't have.
That is an awesome observation, well done; nail on the head. This explains why the lives of celebrities is so interesting for some people.

As far a SLJ goes, he wasn't exactly telling Conan how he as an American has a right to defend himself with a gun and that every American should, only that he does. This may be an eye opener for some people, but I'd be willing to bet it had little effect. Now, if he had brought a sign and a petition for Conan and the audience to sign, that would have been different.

JERRY
September 17, 2008, 10:43 AM
Conan's reaction to a "black man with a gun" was typical of a liberal who wont take the responsibilty of protecting his family himself.

GlockGirl4
September 17, 2008, 11:01 AM
your kidding me. he owns a gun and hes a felon, i am a stay at home mom and only get a target practice permit. ha!
i knew i should have become an actress instead of a nurse. lmao!

the naked prophet
September 17, 2008, 11:39 AM
Something many here are overlooking is that although he may own a gun, he may still be anti-gun. Don't all the bigwig anti-gun leaders have guns? They often have better guns than pro-gun folks. Diane Feinstein has a CCW and carries a S&W revolver, and did a straw purchase for her son who couldn't pass the background check. They know better than anybody that a gun is the best last defense - and that's exactly why they don't want us to have them. You don't think that if all guns were banned they couldn't still get them, and avoid prosecution (like all the felon stars in hollywood have done)?

I'm not saying that SL Jackson is anti-gun, I'm just saying that the fact he claims to own a gun is not proof that he isn't a gun-banner.

Vitamin G
September 17, 2008, 11:40 AM
"Me? Own a firearm? I've a convicted felon. I can't touch a gun. Mrs. Liddy, on the other hand, has a sizeable collection"

- G. Gordon Liddy.

DRZinn
September 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
the fact he claims to own a gun is not proof that he isn't a gun-banner.Good point. Luckily, it appears they didn't discuss the politics of it, just the common-sense defense aspect.

Tom Servo
September 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
What kind of bizarro world does Conan O'Brien live in where someone owning a gun is hard to believe?
Massachusetts. He interned for Barney Frank as an undergrad.

Of course, he's going to be afraid of guns.

BruceRDucer
September 17, 2008, 01:43 PM
Given how long ago that was and the political nature of the crime I'm sure the state has restored his rights by now. Everybody was taking deans hostage back then.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:what::what::):):)

Can't do nothing but laugh myself silly over this one!

Good one!

/

jakemccoy
September 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
There's nothing in that bit that suggests Samuel Jackson is anti-gun. Also, if you fully understand all the pro-gun arguments, you should be able to recognize that he brought up a few pro-gun points as humorous soundbites (e.g., the dog, the crazy criminals in California, history, protection from Manson-types). It sounds like Samuel has been hanging around pro-gun folks to me. By vocalizing his points on this show, Samuel did substantially more than "pro-gun" folks who are content to hang out secretly in their man caves with their 50 guns and ammo stash.

Diamondback6
September 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
He also helps bust up the stereotype that all gunnies are old bitter palefaces who drink Buttweiper and wear camo and fly the Stars and Bars all day.

Anything that plays havoc with how the other side stereotypes us is a Very Good Thing.

KiltedClaymore
September 17, 2008, 06:55 PM
break the status quo perceptions, and people pay attention (and may open their minds alittle).

jlbraun
September 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
I liked this interview. He even brought up my favorite point about Hollywood movies - if the people getting stalked by monsters were armed, movies would be a lot shorter and less interesting.

He also has clearly put some thought into tactics (call 911, get behind the bed, let the boogeyman come to you).

I think that this interview may get a few other Hollywood stars to come out of the gun safe, so to speak. :D

Leif Runenritzer
September 18, 2008, 02:28 AM
I think a few folks watched this and thought "That makes a lot of sense. I never really thought about that before." They might like Samuel L Jackson, they might not, but a good idea is a good idea.

Lol "The other %10 they hit with their pick-up truck".

If you enjoyed reading about "Samuel L. Jackson...supports gun ownership?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!