Tell me about your 590A1's

PDA

Big Boomer
September 16, 2008, 02:36 AM
Wife bought me one for my birthday at the beginning of the year and I STILL have not been able to shoot it yet...:(

I just have to imagine it! I modded mine with a speedfeed stock and 6 round shell holder, even through on a bayonet!

It's heavy as hell, but well hey it's not a field gun and I am not going to be packing it anywhere except to the front door or back yard to keel off some two-legged vermin.

What loads run the best? I have bought just about every brand 000, 00 buck, 2 3/4, 3" and slugs in those as well. What seems to group the best and what are shoulder killers?

Can you even think about using it for the occasional skeet shoot? It' looks cool all my friends drool over it but it's still just all pretty sittin in the corner unfired. I think it's mad at me :p all dressed up and no place to go!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about your 590A1's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Boomer
September 16, 2008, 11:33 PM
for the love of God someone has to own one!

mbpautz762
September 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
I hate to see a post go unanswered, so here goes....

Is this your first shotgun? I just made a post the other day about my experiences shooting a 590a1 (my first shotgun) and waking up with a swollen shoulder. all that aside, I absolutely love that shotgun. it's a ton of fun to shoot (especially when shooting 3" 1 3/8oz slugs at a computer monitor :what:), and feels quite solid with that heavy barrel. you're right about the weight, but I'm still planning on shooting some clays with it. I've only had mine about 2 weeks, so I can't really help you on which shells work the best, but being a pump shotgun (and one with a reputation for extreme reliability at that), no shell should present a problem. I fired everything from no.8 shot to the heaviest, fastest magnum slugs I could find and it ate everything I threw at it. the only true shoulder killers that I had were all 3" shells, especially these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=675746. Those slugs were the only ones that actually hurt to shoot :uhoh:, but I wouldn't expect anything less with a 600 grain slug traveling at 1800 fps. every 2 3/4" shell was more than manageable (they just add up after 40-50 shots).

anyway, I'm sure someone with a little more experience will chime in soon - I just wanted to get things started :)

mbpautz762
September 17, 2008, 12:38 AM
I forgot to add.... my favorite rounds were the el cheapo Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 Buck, and the Winchester "military grade" 00 Buck (both purchased from midway). Good luck, and I can't imagine having a gun for 9 months without shooting it! :uhoh:

wideym
September 17, 2008, 12:42 AM
For goodness sake, go shoot the poor thing, it must be starving by now. Or must I report you to the ASPCS (American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Shotguns).

PS: If we don't hear a range report by Monday, official will have to remove the "baby" to a more loving home.:)

caltek1911
September 17, 2008, 01:02 AM
I own one. And its great. I also put the 6 round shell holder on, but no bayonet. I think about getting one from time to time for it. I also added a rail to attach a light to it. One thing I did do was install the Knoxx CompStock (http://www.knoxx.com/products/CompStock.php) on it. Check Brownells or MidwayUSA or whoever for the cheapest price. I got mine for $95 from one those 2. I can shoot standard slugs all day with that stock, except the magnum slugs. I acquired a few boxes of magnum slugs, so I'll mix in a few magnum slugs when I go shoot, but make sure its just a few as you'll feel it the rest of the week.

I buy the 15 round pack of Remington 00 buck from Walmart as that has the tightest pattern out of the different loads that I've tested. Also, Remington was the only not to have FTF'd. Federal and Winchester both jammed in the elevator on me, and Winchester had the widest spread even at 10 yards, which is more than enough distance in my apt. You'll want to pattern yours with several different loads at various distances and see which is the best pattern. Check Dave McCracken's Sticky thread "Patterning 101" in the Shotgun section. Great info in there.

As for slugs, I stick with standard loads, and all the mfrs slugs are consistent for me. I like to mix them in for practice at the range. I load all 2 3/4" as you get more in the tube.

Oh, and one more thing. Take it shooting!! No excuses.

ZombiesAhead
September 17, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've handled several A1's with the intent to buy but then when the moment comes, the store always seems to be stocking only 590's...

It would be kind of heavy but I have shot clays with my 590 (non-A1).

I've had no trouble with any particular brand of buckshot. This gun has never failed me. I like Remington #4 or 00 2 3/4" shells for defense. I shoot Wal-Mart bulk packs of #8 birdshot for sport. I also have a stock of Noble and Wolf 00 and #4 I am yet to test out. 2 3/4" slugs of any decent brand have always worked as well.

I find the synthetic stock's "flex" and the rubber butt-pad to do a great job of absorbing recoil. The heavy barrel on the A1 will make the gun absorb shock even better than my 590 does.

baxtereyes
September 21, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have used 870's riot guns for forty years and really like them. I also know them well and my hand finds the safety, trigger, slide release etc. easily. I still own a few and will continue to own 870's. All three of my Remingtons are at least 20 years old, maybe older.

I bought a Mossberg 590a1 about a years ago just because I wanted one and none of my 870's are 3" chambers. The Mossberg is fairly heavy. The thicker walls and large magazine capacity add to the weight. It shoots hard and functions well. I like the ghost ring site and Ithe receiver mounted safety.

If I changed anything I need the stock shortened a little.

Bottom line, I like both and shoot both. One of the Remingtons stay in the car, old habits are hard to break. The Mossberg rides in the mule. I believe that he Mossberg will take hard use.

You cannot go wrong with either one it is simply a matter of preference.

My Humble Southern Opinion.

Ric

Mainsail
September 21, 2008, 11:15 PM
http://img.geocaching.com/user/0cc2ad6d-e6b2-4fa7-85fd-8e669f7bc0d6.jpg

Big Boomer
September 22, 2008, 04:22 AM
Mainsail, hows that pistol grip work for you? Any issues with the slide release. I found them difficult to hit.

RaisedByWolves
September 23, 2008, 02:58 AM
Dude, go shoot the thing already. I had mine 2hrs and was at the range, but it did take me 2months to get it. The weight for me is a non issue as Im on the large side and I like the feel of it better than my 500A. It will really draw attention at the range!

The gun will eat anything you throw at it, with my favorite being Remmington 12 ball OO magnums. Just the right amount of recoil to make your eyes swim, nut not so much as to hurt your shoulder after repeated rounds.

Another fun, albiet painfull round was Winchester 15 ball OO buck in the 3" size. These puppies rocked my box and caused me to let me shoulder placement wander and brusing was the result. This only after 5 quick rounds, but the folks at the range (indoor) were loving it so I had to show off a bit.:evil:

The only thing that came close in the "Crowd pleaser" area was a S&W .50 cal revolver. It was cool, and certainly was LOUD, but it had more of a crack where the SG had a resounding BOOOOM that just Echoes, Echoes, echoes....

I predict your going to love that gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about your 590A1's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!