Manurhin revolvers ?????

PDA

TEX
September 16, 2008, 04:22 AM
I am looking for someone who really knows the French Manurhin revolver and its models and/or history. I know you are out there friend help me out here.

I was sorting through some old gun magazines and came across an article by Lee Thompson about the Korth 357. At one point he was making comparisons to the Manurhin. I started doing a little web searching for info on both and actually came away with more questions. I quickly determined the Korth was out of my price range, but I came across one company that had a French Manurhin MR96 and a MR88 available for about a grand. It then became a real possibility that I might want to own one of these. The high end MR73 is real nice granted, but again a might more expensive that I want to get into.

I have been unable to find anymore information about the MR96, but plenty about a MR93, so I am thinking maybe the web site offering the MR96 might have been a typo and what they actually had for sale was a MR93

I understand that the MR88 is actually built on a Ruger frame but other than that maintains all of the other Manurhin features; sleeved barrel like a Dan Wesson, good double action trigger, cylinder release button that allows one hand opening, and high rise grip.

I have always been a Ruger DA revolver fan except for one irritating thing and that is that when releasing the trigger for an additional shot, there is a distinct first click that can be mistaken for full trigger reset and then cause the shooter to short stoke the pistol. This is annoying in competition and possibly fatal in a defensive situation. I have talked to all the better revolver smiths and all say that the heavy first click on trigger reset cannot be gotten rid of or mitigated.

I really like the old Dan Wesson barrel set up where you can minimize the cylinder gap and in my opinion a tensioned barrel should be more accurate - (all other things being equal).

Could someone clue me in to exactly what the different Manurhin models are and how they differ in features, finishes, mechanisms, etc. I would also like to know if there are any short comings to these revolvers that I should be aware of. A link to any really informative web pages would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance - TEX

If you enjoyed reading about "Manurhin revolvers ?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
barman
September 16, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi Tex,

You should go to gunboards.com, French firearms section, a guy (Edmond, who's also on THR) posted a thread about his MR96 with tons of pics. You can probably ask him.

Here's the link:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=63780

dao
September 16, 2008, 02:52 PM
The Manurhin MR73 (create in 1973) has the best double-action out-of-the box : a short 8# trigger pull. Only Korth can compare. And acurracy is very good.
It still is the primary handgun for the french GIGN.

The MR88 is a very differend kind of revolver. Basically, it is a copy of Ruger GP100. It has been made to be sell to french Police , because MR73 was better but to much expensive...

The MR93 has still the Ruger mecanism, but has a very specifique design and interchangeables barrels.

The MR96 is the one described and pictured in the link Barman gave.

Some links : http://www.gunsworld.com/gun_revolvers/Manurhin_MR73.htm
http://www.gunsworld.com/french/mr93_us.html
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg66-e.htm

LA GUN
September 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
I spent a great deal of time trying to chase down an MR 73 starting about a year ago. I am still on the hunt.

I would love to read and share info on this subject. There was a company in Australia that was advertising them and a few were imported through them but that has long since passed.

I also emailed with a guy who had bought one (an Austrian Police trade in ) through Cabella's in the mid west a year or two back when they had a small quantity.

I have forgotten more than I remember now, but the one to have or so I though was the 73 in 3 or 4 inch. I will be very interested to read more postings

TEX
September 17, 2008, 02:47 AM
So, doe sthe M96 have the Dan Wesson type barrel?

dao
September 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
I dont think it has.
If memory serves, interchangeables barrels are only for the MR93.

By the way, some MR73 had interchangeables cylinders in 9mm. This was a Police request. But the idea was finally abandonned, because of a loss in accuracy and extraction problems with the 9mm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Manurhin revolvers ?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!