poll: POLYMER Kahrs

PDA

craig_o
September 16, 2008, 09:10 AM
Please elaborate below.

If you enjoyed reading about "poll: POLYMER Kahrs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
September 16, 2008, 09:44 AM
PM9 pulls daily duty without hiccup.

Purple95
September 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
I used to work part time at an indoor pistol range.

We had five or six good customers with serious, ongoing problems with the PM9 model. These were knowledgeable shooters, not beginners. As I recall, all but one ended up disposing of the PM9.

I don't recall hearing any complaints on the steel framed guns.

This was two or three years ago and I've read where Kahr has addressed some of the issues with that series but I still would never trust a polymer framed Kahr with personal protection duties.

Cheers,
dan :)

MrAnteater
September 16, 2008, 11:18 AM
I owned two poly Kahrs and would never touch one again with a 10 foot poll.

The first one developed a frame crack after < 100 rounds. It took almost 2 months and 10 phone calls to get Kahr to warranty the item and when they sent the second model it had constant FTF and would start randomly dropping the magazine.

I've been reading these gun forums for several years and the problems with poly Kahr's is consistent. They simply do not understand CONSISTENT quality control.

I warn everyone I know to stay away from the Kahr brand.

innerpiece
September 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
hmm.. well...
Ive had a CW9 for about 2 yrs, couple/few thousand Rds thru it, no problems..
its reliable, accurate, nice trigger for a DAO, and affordable. Great Carry gun!
Id never sell it. and I would definetly recomend a Kahr to folks looking for this class of pistol.

dogtown tom
September 16, 2008, 11:54 AM
I own two- a K9 and a CW9. Absolutely perfect in every way.

I plan to get the P380 as soon as they are available.

While I'm sure that there are some legitimate issues with early P series Kahrs, it seems that quite a number of owners didn't bother to read the owners manual:

1. Allow for a two hundred round "break in" period.
2. Load from slide lock- don't slingshot the slide.

For every Kahr customer service nightmare story, there's another story relating how great Kahr customer service is.

wally
September 16, 2008, 12:15 PM
Light and powerful. The trade off of course is all guns that are small for their caliber tend to have more ammo sensitivity and higher maintainance needs than do regular sized guns.

My PM40 is carry nearly always shoot infrequently. My CW9 is for practice and while it had to go back to Kahr initially its been problem free for approaching 4000 practice rounds since its return.

Also from the manual: "Keep oil and grease out of the stryker/firing pin channel".

--wally

jocko
September 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
My PM9 is the best handgun I have ever carried. Never had one issue with it, 14,600 rounds through it. My K9 has 3500 and is also flawless. Most seem to want to relate back two to three years when indeed kahr did have some issues, but they took care of them also. But also some never forgive. As Mr. Anteater says he downgrades kahrs every chance he gets. Guess I'm the same way with kt's. I would not recommend one to my worst enemy. Probably both scenarios not justified but such is life...

jocko
September 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
purple95, 3 years ago kahr had some polymer issues. Guess one should never own the Ruger SR9 due to them having drop safe issues, of which they have now corrected. Guess these companies get no credit for fixing a problem anymore.

krs
September 16, 2008, 01:08 PM
PM9 is too fat for it's small capacity. If I'm gonna' carry a wide pistol it's gonna' be a double stacker.

hksw
September 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
I had bought a CW9 when I signed up for a CC class about 5 weeks ago. Have been going to the range to practice with it as I'm not use to long DAO triggers. Have been progressively getting better after changing my trigger finger shooting technique but don't feel I'm as accurate with it as I should be. While practicing with it, I was also practicing with my HK P7 PSP to see how well it would do. It has been a better preformer for me and will use it instead of the Kahr for the class. The Kahr, though, is not a bad gun. I like its lightness and slimness. Just need more practice time with the trigger.

jocko
September 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
krs: TO FAT??? wow that is a first for the pm9. It's even smaller than the kt PF9.

spwenger
September 16, 2008, 01:52 PM
...is that I waited too long to pick up a second P9 Covert, which is the gun I felt that the Kahr should have been in the first place, ever since I fired a very early K9, back when they were being sold in a blued-steel version.

The PM9 apparently had a few years of bugs to work out. The P9 Covert used the shorter grip frame of the PM9 with the "full-length" top end of the P9/K9. The latter seems to b=give better reliability, along with a slight boost in velocity

Ala Dan
September 16, 2008, 03:12 PM
a Kahr CW-9, and thus far I have a POSITIVE opinion of the weapon~! :scrutiny: ;)

Armed 24/7
September 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
I bought a PM9 about 5 years ago and had numerous FTF and FTE problems with it. I heeded the factory's "break in" period, and even exceeded the number of rounds that they recomend. It never was reliable for me, so I sold it off, and have never have had the desire to waste my money again on another one.

rapid1
September 16, 2008, 05:16 PM
my EDC is a P9 which has been flawless in over 2k rounds, primarily UMC ball. it didn't seem to need any break-in at all. I carry it full of CorBon 115's.

UnTainted
September 16, 2008, 05:36 PM
I don't own a P model of Kahr's, but I do have an MK9 and have nothing but good things to say about this pistol and how I feel about it defending my life.

I plan on owning a PM9 in the future. I figure I'd practice on the MK and carry the PM, but I'm interested in waiting and watching round counts on the newer models that report and rumor speculate might hold up better. And I'll get an MK40 too! :D

krs
September 16, 2008, 07:05 PM
krs: TO FAT??? wow that is a first for the pm9. It's even smaller than the kt PF9

Jocko, the PF9 is the only Keltec I haven't tried/owned but I'd have expected it would be skinnier than the P11 that I do have, and the P11 is the same width as my PM9 was. Just about the same height and length too when I laid one atop the other.

It was comparing the size of the PM9 and the P11 thaat was part of my deciding to sell the Kahr. For the slight difference in size it wasn't worth $600. more. The whole point of all of this little nine seeking is to find the perfect pocket 9mm pistol, and the Kahr, for me, didn't jump ahead as I'd thought it might.

Good trigger and nicely made - a better pistol than any Keltec but no more reliable and was short on capacity.

porterdog
September 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
Just got a PM9 last Friday. Put ~240 rounds through it on Sunday; 200 WWB and the balance Speer GD 124 +Ps. No issues whatsoever.

This was a brand-new unit from Bud's with an IA-prefix serial number.

Dan-O
September 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
Mr. Anteater,

I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot poll either. Now with a ten foot pole I would.

My PM9 and PM45 have been great from the beginning.

Racinbob
September 16, 2008, 07:36 PM
Jocko, please quite slamming the folks who don't like Kahrs. If they get a bad one they deserve to vent. I DID! I know all manfacturers have problems. 35 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds out of dozens of guns and I've never had issues like I've had with this Kahr. You've been lucky and it's what gives me hope for mine now that it's back from the factory. I haven't been to the range yet but I'm optimistic. It's a well built piece and if it works now I'll be a happy camper. If not, well...........

jocko
September 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
heh, what ever floats ur boat, vent away. It's a free world and indeed a free internet.. best yet, don't read my posts:neener::neener:

SoCalShooter
September 16, 2008, 07:51 PM
Friend stole his pm40 at an auction for 200 bucks its a house of fire to shoot but its a nice pistol

JBP55
September 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
My CW9 is 100% reliable.

Dr_2_B
September 16, 2008, 08:21 PM
I own the mk40 but after seeing the pm9, I wish I had it. Sweeeet

Dollar An Hour
September 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
Love my PM9. It's a pleasure to shoot compared to the J-Frames it's been pushing out of my CCW rotation, and has better sights and capacity to boot. :)

deadhawg
September 16, 2008, 11:18 PM
I have around 2,000 rounds through my PM9. Outside of a few ftf's in the first 100 rounds, it has been flawless. No signs of wear or damage anywhere on the frame, slide or barrel. I am currently looking for a P45 that I expect to become my edc.

A friend has a Kahr CW9 with about 500 rounds through it without a single failure.

I have full confidence that my PM9 will go bang if I ever need it to. I would not hesitate to buy any Kahr poly frame pistol, and I hope to aquire at least one or two more before long.

Ron

hartzpad
September 17, 2008, 12:22 AM
I bought lucky PM9 a few years ago for $400. It was dirty when I bought it but it has been 100% in close to 500 rounds over the years with varied FMJ and hp ammo. After buying it, I ran several hundred rounds through it without cleaning or lubing it first and it never missed a beat. That torture was a good test to install my confidence in it for carry. I had to add Agrip or my hand would get eaten alive from the grip stippling if I fired more than a few mags at the range. It always goes bang. To chamber a round, I always use the slide release as the slingshot sometimes fails to go into battery from what I have read.

Only issue is that I have to repeatedly loctite the nut at the end of the recoil spring guide rod or it will keep coming loose.

gbelleh
September 17, 2008, 01:12 AM
I had a PM9. It had 2 FTRTB in the first 100 rounds, then worked perfectly for the next 800 rounds. I'd buy another one.

romma
September 17, 2008, 09:58 AM
PM9 Rocks!

jocko
September 17, 2008, 10:57 AM
romma, could not have said it better....

Hypnogator
September 18, 2008, 02:01 AM
Just purchased a Kahr PM-45, and have an overall positive impression of it, except that it seems to have excessively sharp edges (a little more finishing would be nice) and after approx. 160 rds of ball & premium JHP, still has a FTE or FTF once or twice per magazine.

Sights were a little off, but it appears very accurate, easy to shoot, and solid.

Gamer
September 18, 2008, 02:37 AM
I own a PM9, like it a lot. I've put about 250 rounds down range with just a couple of FTF. I did have an issue with one of the mag followers dropping out and Kahr sent me a replacement. The little ball was worn, no biggie. But, to be negative, I can't say I've ever had to ask for replacement parts from other companies with new guns. But, all things considered I'd buy another one.

I also purchased a PM45, LOVE this one. I have approx 350 rounds through it and haven't had any problems to speak of with FTF etc.

As previously mentioned, I also didn't like the grip stippling on either gun. It was eating my fingers alive. :eek: I did look at the Agrip someone suggested, but I bought two Hogue Handall Jr's instead.

Love these, if it's an issue for you I'd suggest it.

Gamer

71Commander
September 18, 2008, 07:51 AM
P-11

Calibers : 9 x 19 mm Luger
Weight unloaded lbs. : 14 oz. 400g
Loaded magazine : 6 oz. 159g
Length : 5.6" 142mm
Height : 4.3" 109mm
Width : 1" 26mm
Barrel Length : 3.1" 79mm
Sight radius : 4.6" 116mm
Muzzle Energy Max : 400 ft lbs 540J
Capacity : 10 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull : 9 lbs 40N

PF-9

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: 9mm Luger 9x19mm
Weight unloaded (no magazine) : 12.7 oz. 360g
Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz. 81g
Length : 5.85" 149mm
Height : 4.3" 109mm
Width : .88" 22mm
Barrel Length : 3.1" 80mm
Capacity : 7 + 1 rounds

PM9

Caliber: 9mm Luger 9x19mm
Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Length : 5.3"
Height : 4.0"
Width : .90"
Barrel Length : 3.0", polygonal rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
Capacity: 6 rd flush floorplate & 7 rd extended grip

Beatnik
September 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
2. Load from slide lock- don't slingshot the slide.

Ok... So what this says is that if I'm in a gunfight and hit a hard primer, the standard tap-rack-bang is not the correct procedure.

Thank you... I've been agonizing over the small 9 list for years now, and Kahr just got permanently removed.

71Commander
September 18, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have always charged the gun using the slingshot method. I've never had a problem.

Grayrider
September 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
I carry my P9 more than any other gun during hot weather. It is light enough to carry easily in shorts, and flat enough to still hide under a t-shirt. I was quite impressed with its accuracy the first time I fired it, expecting much less from such a small pistol. I was also shocked at the lack of recoil. It is far easier to shoot than many fixed barrel .380s I have fired, yet gives you the superior performance of a 9mm. I highly recommend Kahr pistols. One of these days I will probably pick up a PM45.

John

lance22
September 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
I absolutely LOVE it. Been carried for four years.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/lance22_photo/Holsters/kahr_bearclaw_600.jpg

Above: Kahr P40 in a BearClaw Holster's (http://www.bearclawholsters.com) "Hidden Asset" IWB.

jocko
September 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
beatnik: ur stretching that fellas comments to fit your needs. A lite strike would have to be cleared by your method of tap,rack and bang..You just want to hammer thats all... that so much why many threads just seem to go to hell anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "poll: POLYMER Kahrs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!