9mm 1911: Standard Mainspring weight?

PDA

marklbucla
September 16, 2008, 02:05 PM
I know the standard mainspring weight for a .45ACP is 23#, but does that apply to 9mm variants as well?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm 1911: Standard Mainspring weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
schmeky
September 16, 2008, 02:28 PM
MarkB,

If you mean the hammer spring, then yes, it is 23# on the 9mm version.

I run 17# mainsprings in all my 1911's, including my converted Colt 38 Super to 9mm.

TexasRifleman
September 16, 2008, 03:40 PM
f you mean the hammer spring, then yes, it is 23# on the 9mm version.

I run 17# mainsprings in all my 1911's, including my converted Colt 38 Super to 9mm.

The hammer spring IS the mainspring on a 1911.

The spring under the barrel is the "recoil spring".

23lb is good for pretty much every caliber unless you're having problems.

SureThing
September 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
What is a good weight to lower the trigger lbs, but still have good primer strikes?

MICHAEL T
September 16, 2008, 08:26 PM
What is a good weight to lower the trigger lbs, but still have good primer strikes?

A lighter spring won't really change the trigger that much. What it will do is allow the slide to come back faster . Remember slide cocks hammer . This slows slide and all spring work together.. A trigger job and adjusting the sear spring (spring under gripsafety) will lightned the pull. 4lbs for carry min.
Leave the main spring alone.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm 1911: Standard Mainspring weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!