reloading with baby in the house

PDA

helz_mcfugly
September 16, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have heard that there is traces of mercury in the dust coming out of my tumbler. Is this true? any input on this would be helpful. I reload in my study which is in the house. there is no air return in that room.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading with baby in the house" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeSpectre
September 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
Don't know about mercury but I wouldn't tumble in the house if I had a choice.

As for everything else, just keep it all clean and wash your hands/change clothes before handling the baby.

SSN Vet
September 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
there is a good sticky about lead issues related to reloading at the top of the forum....well worth the read.

the compound in primers has lead (maybe Mercury as well, but Lead is the issue I've always heard brought up). When you tumble your brass...that lead gets into the media, which can be quite dusty (especially the Walnut).

Can you safely do it with a young child in the house? Probably yes, if you follow some precautions...

Keep kids out of that room as much as possible.

use a "clamshell" style media seperator to keep the dust down when dumping the tumbler and seperating media.

put used dryer sheets cut up into little squares into your tumbler to help remove the dust.

keep your reloading area tidy and clean.

thoroughly wash your hands when you're done.

I reload in a basement office, to which the kids are allowed.

but I tumble in a different room in the basement, to which they are not allowed.

The Bushmaster
September 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yup...Wash hands before handling baby. Mercury? I believe they did away with mercury in primers and use lead sulfate instead. Do your tumbling in the basement or on the porch and you'll be just fine...And so will junior...

helz_mcfugly
September 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
yea I always wash up after any reloading because of the risk of lead. I also close the doors when reloading and keep anything dangerous in the safe when im no in there. I guess Ill start tumbling in the garage. thanks fo rthe input.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
September 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
If there was a baby in my house, I'd tumble and separate tumbling media outside the house. Why risk potential health problems?

Wash hands thoroughly, at least two minutes scrub, before handling baby.

everallm
September 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
Biggest problem with babies is when they get to the crawling stage. The suckers get real fast, real quick and EVERYTHING goes in the mouth.

In particular small and shiny, so a dropped primer is like a magnet......and if you reload pistol and drop a bullet......

ranger335v
September 16, 2008, 06:48 PM
There has been no mercury in US made primers since at least the 40s.

.38 Special
September 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
Used to be mercury fulminate. Is now lead styphnate. Neither is good for junior.

Tumble in the garage, basement, or back step. Wash hands thoroughly before handling kid -- not only after tumbling, but after handling bullets, ammo, or fired guns.

FlyinBryan
September 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
I also close the doors when reloading and keep anything dangerous in the safe when im no in there.

ya, i know what you mean. youve been in my reloading shop so you know that no kids are allowed in there when im no in there.

i really dont even let als kids in the backyard when im no out there with them.

its just no safe for them, because as you know, my dogs are no small anymore, and i would no do anything to endanger those kids.

i love them kids even if they are no mine.

by the way, me and dave are going shooting sunday morning. try to make it if you can, bout 10am.

it just wont be the same if you are no there.

ps. lee press on nails happen to be of the same high quality construction as their reloading equipment.:cuss::banghead: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading with baby in the house" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!