Found another "I mostly buy pre-lock S&Ws" pitfall.

PDA

Hawk
September 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
I've just been advised that my order for square butt strain screws has been rescheduled to "never".

Brownell's, to my immense surprise, verifies that such have been dropped by the factory and they have none either. They do have some for 629-2s which measured .560" (no spec sheets). Anybody know offhand if these can be used for square butt L frames with a little creativity?

No lathe or drillpress here, regrettably.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found another "I mostly buy pre-lock S&Ws" pitfall." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
csmkersh
September 16, 2008, 05:36 PM
Did you check Numrich aka Gun Parts Inc?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Old Fuff
September 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
Interesting....:cuss::cuss:

Try www.e-gunparts.com, and specify what particular model you want the screw for. Be aware that pre-war and early post-war K-frame revolvers used a screw with a different thread.

I'll have to check, but I believe that all post-1950's K, L and N square butt revolvers used the same screw.

Hawk
September 16, 2008, 06:17 PM
The guy at Brownell's said that S&W was making mostly round butt these days and the "dropped by factory" note showed up on:
FITS: K Frame - Common Parts, .38; 681, .357; 686, .357; 624, .44 Spl; 629, .44 Mag; 657, .41 Mag

The blue square butt screw was noted "dropped by Brownell's". The guy at S&W said "no go" when I told him I wasn't obsessive about the color.

I'm glad my 66s pop primers "as is".

Molested strain screws on used product around here are rare but not rare enough. I guess I'll have to put "too nice a double action trigger" on the list of possible deal killers.

Numrich looks like a plan. I was hoping to keep it with Brownell's so I could combine with other stuff but it's probably past time I broadened my horizons.

Did S&W really largely abandon square butts? Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Hawk
September 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
-double tap-

cottonmouth
September 16, 2008, 06:46 PM
I have seen allen head stainless screws that replaced the flat head screws before. It would easy to match the threads and put an allen screw in place of a factory one, and they look good too. So stick with the pre-locks!

J.B.

Shade00
September 16, 2008, 07:07 PM
When is enough enough for you, Hawk? Leave those S&Ws for me... I mean, alone!

Hawk
September 16, 2008, 08:01 PM
When is enough enough for you, Hawk? Leave those S&Ws for me... I mean, alone!
Persistant cuss, ain't I?
:)

Old Fuff
September 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
SO YOU IS JUST GOING TO CUT THE OLD FUFF OUT OF THE PICTURE!!!??

Look, I'm not greedy... Not at all. All I want is the ones made from 1865 to 1965, you two can split up the rest...

The Old Fuff is all heart... :evil: :evil: :scrutiny:

Shade00
September 16, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hey, I did take another step and put some money on a near-perfect Model 042. Looking forward to getting that one paid off.

But... I did pass up two that I've been thinking about... a nickel 19-4 and a nickel 32-1 (flat latch, diamond magnas - looks unfired). Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Old Fuff
September 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT HAIRY-CANE COMES ALONG... THEN I'LL GET BOTH OF YOU... !! :uhoh: :D

Hawk
September 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
My Olde-stuff-frustration index does, however, have limits. So I'll repeat publicly what I've already said privately, for the record:

My meager Colts are yours Fuff, I can'ts take no 'mo. As soon as I can arrange to get blown to AZ, you may review and offer whatever you feel is fair (in the way of Olde S&W) in order that I only suffer S&W frustration.

Too bad I've only got a Det Spec, a shooter Python and an Anaconda but that's what I had when it gave it up as a bad job.

There. Now it's public - no one need start a bidding war when Fuff offers 20.00 for Det Spec. I shall be glad to be rid of them and offer them a good home at the same time.
:D

Master Blaster
September 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
Am I hallucinating or is my Tr-22 made in 2007 a square butt N Frame.
and yep it has a strain screw....

Call back and ask for one for your Tr-22 square butt, the one with the lifetime warranty, tell them you went to tighten it and it fell down a storm sewer.

Looks like the model of 1917 is still being made and is also a square butt.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=53952&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Unless my eyes are playing tricks this classic 27 looks to be a square butt N-frame as well..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=67961&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Shade00
September 17, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hawk, I'd be happy to take that horrendous Python off your hands. I'll even give you a nickel 19-4 for it, because I'm just that kind!

Hawk
September 17, 2008, 04:03 PM
Call back and ask for one for your Tr-22 square butt, the one with the lifetime warranty, tell them you went to tighten it and it fell down a storm sewer.
Figures there'd be more than one way to skin the proverbial cat - also, in addition to the round butt stuff, Brownells catalogs a "mystery butt" strain screw that links to a schematic of a square butt here:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=14505&title=STRAIN%20SCREW

I saw a few pics of what looked like square butt stuff in the current catalog but given the long time existence of these "conversion grips" I can't be certain unless the grip frame is naked.
http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=93&step=2

The Hogue listing lends believabilty to yesterday's "rumor":
All new S&W frames are Round Butt. These grips are designed to fit the Round Butt but are full "Square Butt size" grips. They "convert" a small Round Butt to a full size grip.

Though, as you note, there are exceptions. But it's probably not safe to assume anything from pictures as the conversion grip looks identical regardless of butt type. 'Course a TR with grips removed in your hands trumps any speculation on the matter, so there are some exceptions. You did look under those stocks, right? ;)

Given the existence of "conversion grips" I wonder why S&W didn't standardize on round butt a long time ago. Oh, wait...

jjohnson
September 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have to disagree with this being a pitfall.

I won't buy new S&Ws as long as they employ a Hillary Hole. As far as I'm concerned, that makes them nothing more and nothing less than a defunct manufacturer. :scrutiny:

There are LOTS of S&Ws still on the shelf NIB, and many many more that trade Excellent condition or better at gun shows. I'm sticking with my boycott out of principle. I own many pre-lock S&Ws, and expect that I can get parts for them 'til the day I die.:fire:

Master Blaster
September 17, 2008, 08:56 PM
Though, as you note, there are exceptions. But it's probably not safe to assume anything from pictures as the conversion grip looks identical regardless of butt type. 'Course a TR with grips removed in your hands trumps any speculation on the matter, so there are some exceptions. You did look under those stocks, right?

Given the existence of "conversion grips" I wonder why S&W didn't standardize on round butt a long time ago. Oh, wait...

Yes Im sure its a square butt when I took the lock flag out, and ordered and put the wood hogues on it I got a real good look.

Take a good look at those pictures, the stocks are the old fashioned scale type, not a modern wraparound like the hogues are.

Hawk
September 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
I have to disagree with this being a pitfall.

You disagree that surprise discontinued parts aren't a pitfall?

Interesting.

PM me your address - I'll send you 5.00; you send me an unmolested strain screw for a square butt "L" frame.

Deal?

.38 Special
September 17, 2008, 10:08 PM
The only surprise is that it took so long for one of the malcontents to pop up with that tired old song-and-dance. :neener:

Hawk
September 17, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, I don't know, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sticking with my boycott out of principle. I own many pre-lock S&Ws, and expect that I can get parts for them 'til the day I die.

Hopefully, he won't be die tomorrow so it should both be easy to get one and certainly be worth parting with an "L" frame square butt strain screw to keep me away from whatever the current "Hillary Hole" alternative might be. I'll even spot him the adolescent name calling - after all, it's only a lock and impossible to be offended being inorganic and all.

And, truth be known, I'm rather hoping it's more than empty internet chest thumping - I'd rather like to bring the 686 online - apart from being horribly unreliable, it's the nicest 686 I own. And I'd rather give a fellow forumite the 5.00 than Numrich 2.00 plus postage.

Surely, anyone that opposed to the current S&W won't simply lay back and enjoy what he already has without caring about anyone else's pre-lock travails - that would be just so... unseemly.
;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Found another "I mostly buy pre-lock S&Ws" pitfall." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!