Winchester 74 takedown

PDA

Savage Shooter
September 16, 2008, 11:07 PM
I need to clean this little bugger I can clean the barrel but I know it needs to be taken down and clean because it's pretty dirty looking hasn't been shot in years and hasn't been clean in even more years i'd bet. Can anyone help I need some pics I googled it but all I got was people who wanted you to buy their books and I wasn't about to throw money away on junk books. All I was brave enough to do was take off the stock. It defenantly ain't no marlin 60, I can bumble my way through that cause i been around em all my life but I've never messed with a 74 before.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 74 takedown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Savage Shooter
September 17, 2008, 04:47 PM
Oh come on I know I'm not the only one with one of these someone must no how to take one down.

Emfuser
September 18, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'll give this a bump because I recently was gifted an old Win 74 and don't really know how to approach cleaning (properly) either.

Savage Shooter
September 18, 2008, 09:22 PM
seriously this is starting to tick me off:scrutiny:
I know somebody out there knows I have yet to have a question go unanswered don't break my record.

bonza
September 20, 2008, 08:33 PM
I just Googled 'Winchester Model 74' & came up with this from a 2005 THR thread:

The Model 74 is incredibly simple to take down.
Just push the large pin at the rear of the receiver to one side and the bolt will slide out the rear.
everything is in your hands from there.
If the gun has the same problem mine had ( bolt stuck, won't fire, trigger seems stuck ) try this:
You may have difficulty removing the bolt, but she'll go.
Rotate the firing pin to find the 'sweet spot' whereas the action works smoothly. Firing pin removal may be necessary (just a couple of pins).
To check it, you can perform a function check with the bolt outside of the receiver. The lever on the bottom of the bolt is engaged by the trigger, and the bolt cocks and fires outside, too.
Once everything appears to be working fine, just slide the bolt back into the receiver. You will notice that it is much easier than removal.
Load the magazine and let her rip ( at a range, of course ).
It may take a bit of trial and error, but you'll find out what's up.
If parts are needed, try Numrich Arms at www.e-gunparts.com.
They have a complete parts breakdown and schematic, also.

Hope it works for you.

Talldog
January 12, 2009, 07:06 PM
Well, I got myself into this now.....

I pulled the bolt on my Winchester 74 22 LR before checking it out online. Long story short, When I put it back in it became stuck. It opens about 1/2" and I can't seem to get it out again.

I read Bonza's fix but when I push the button in, the bolt won't budge out of the back end of the chamber. Any suggestions?
:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 74 takedown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!