Best Budget Semi Handgun Maker

PDA

GunLvrNLearner
September 17, 2008, 01:55 AM
Who do you consider to be the best budget semi gun maker?

I am thinking Ruger will dominate with some Bersa mentions

I am defining "budget" as under the costs of Glocks,Springfield XD ect. at least 70 to 100 bucks under those not just a few bucks lol

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Budget Semi Handgun Maker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
September 17, 2008, 02:04 AM
Stoeger. Kel-Tec.

Sig, retroactive to the mid-80's. :D ;)

-T.

makarovnik
September 17, 2008, 03:42 AM
Kel-Tec has a good lineup.

pogo2
September 17, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have to vote for Glock.

GLOCK45GUY
September 17, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think Tauras Millenium line is in the budget catagory.

By the way, +1 for GLOCK.

everallm
September 17, 2008, 09:14 AM
CZ 75 range
EAA/Tanfoglio

Neither are "cheap" but both very good value

tinygnat219
September 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
Budgetary:
Hi-Point
Kel-Tec
CZ
Glock
Springfield

Taurus? :banghead:

19-3Ben
September 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
Ruger. Definitely Ruger. In fact, I want a P345 pretty darn badly.

benderx4
September 17, 2008, 10:04 AM
How about a Sig CPO?
Get a legendary gun at a bargain price - I've seen P239s and P226s going for as little as $239.

MCgunner
September 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
Ruger
Kel Tec
Springfield XD
CZ
Makarov
Bersa

I own the top two, been lookin' at the CZs. Would like to get a Mak next. No experience with the Bersa, but they have a good net rep. The P90 just MIGHT be the best .45 DA auto at ANY price, though I know lots are going to scoff. Me, I wouldn't trade mine for an HK, not on yo mama's life! The thing is just the most accurate semi auto I've ever seen or fired. And, I love how the gun fits me with the Hogue grip. The DA/SA trigger is nice. I've won some shoots with this gun and enough money to pay for it about 3 times.

weisse52
September 17, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ruger or CZ.

19-3Ben
September 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
I was thinking CZ, but honestly, I don't consider CZ to be a budget gun maker. Their pistols are already in the $450+ range. The reason I voted for Ruger is because you can get any other their semi-autos (with the exception of the SR9) for $425 or less. Some of them as little as the mid to low $300 range brand new. Can't do that with CZ.

CZ's are fantastic, and a great value. They can deliver the quality of an $800-900 gun, in a $475 package, but I think they've lost their status as being "budget."

gregj
September 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hi-Point gets my vote. Their price should fit into most people's budget, and their warranty and customer service is one of the best out there.

But it also depends on what you are planning on doing with it, that should facter into your decision. Money alone shouldnt be the only determining factor.

woad_yurt
September 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
I vote Hi-Point. They're ugly, blocky, weird & clunky yet every one I've ever shot (3 so far) did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'll be honest, I am glad I can afford something nicer but, if I had to own one, I'd be perfectly confident with it.

CWL
September 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ruger because they have always had decent pricing and they offer a large range of calibers and designs.

Other guns such as CZ, Kel-Tec or even Makarov, may offer good guns, but pretty-much recycle the same design over multiple calibers.

Colorado
September 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
1+ for Stoger. I have a Cougar 9mm and love it. Shoots great, feels solid.

Quoheleth
September 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
In addition to the ones mentioned:

-Rock Islands in the 1911 market.
-Smith & Wesson SIGMAs (new models)
-Taurus PT92 & 100

Q

DZL HOG
September 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
What about the FNs?

From what Ive read they seem to be less expensive than most and are good guns too.

jocko
September 17, 2008, 07:04 PM
Ruger for such a vast array of handguns and long guns, all affordable and most all darn good quality and oh yes American made..

crushbup
September 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
Bersa, and any company that made Makarovs

atblis
September 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
RIA is selling a Tanfoglio for pretty cheap. That's about the most decent cheap handgun I can think of.

wditto
September 18, 2008, 12:52 AM
....." How about a Sig CPO?
Get a legendary gun at a bargain price - I've seen P239s and P226s going for as little as $239.." .......
WHERE ???

Don357
September 18, 2008, 01:02 AM
+1 on the Rugers, Tanfoglios and Kel-Tecs.Bersa is OK, and don't forget Firestorm!

Grayrider
September 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
The above suggestions are of course good ones, but the first words that came to mind when I saw your post were "police trade-in". If you look around there are many companies carrying various police trade-in pistols that are priced way below the original cost of said guns. You can get a Sig, Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc. for a bargain. My third gen. G22 for example was around $350 as I recall with three factory 15 rounders and night sights. I have owned several such guns through the years and typically found they had seen few rounds. Mostly police pistols are carried and not fired. So if you do not mind some holster wear and perhaps some PD markings, you can get a quality pistol at a good price.

John

kitsapcharly
September 19, 2008, 03:40 AM
Kel-Tec and Bersa/Firestorm(both made by Bersa) give you a lot for the money. Both have really good customer service.
For more money the XD designs from Springfield Armory are about as good as good gets. They have very good customer service.
EAA Witness(Tanfoglio) is very nice and like the XD has a good grip angle and hits where it's pointed. I've just gotten a 22/45 convertible from them and it's very good both ways. Unfortunately customer service has a very bad reputation. Not speaking from experience, just web talk on that.
Speaking from experience in owning, shooting and carrying the little 380 Kel-Tec should be in everybody's pocket...just do it. The 9MM Kel-tec P-11 is a goodpiece that now holds 13 shots with the new mag design and will carry okay in some pockets but not in others.
The XD-45c is a truly terrific gun and the other calibers and versions should be too. One of the strongest and most reliable guns in existence.
The Witness is very nice. Tanfoglio's version of the Czech CZ pistol. Much used in Europe. I'm new to it but like it greatly.
Kel-Tec has two good web sites. KT Range and KTOG. Both loaded with info and people who know what they're talking about.
XD Forum is highly recommended. Very active.
CZ Forum has a section for CZ "Clones" which is mostly Witness/Tanfoglio.
Bersa Talk is about Bersa and Firestorm is very good.
Read, study and consider then try to rent guns at shooting ranges if you can. The gun has to fit YOU not me or somebody else. If it's for SD and carry it even hasto almost be part of you and everybody has a different size, build and hand shape.
I get wordy sometimes but these are gunsI've liked. Some others weren't but these are designs worth sharing.

onebigelf
September 19, 2008, 08:40 AM
Charles Daly. LOVE my Hi-power. I hear good things about their 1911's, and now they've got a lifetime we-pay-shipping-both-ways warranty on their guns.

John

Handyguy
September 19, 2008, 09:58 AM
I second Grayrider's idea. Why not buy a used, higher quality gun for less money than a brand new lesser quality gun? After you shoot the new one it becomes a "used" piece that is worth even less.

ZeSpectre
September 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
Kel-Tec
Hi-Point
Bersa

Then for a bit more

Charles Daly
CZ
RIA

Bo Heck
September 20, 2008, 01:30 AM
Steyr MA1 series from CDNN, better than a glock for 339 bucks...

bfox
September 20, 2008, 02:10 AM
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 20, 2008, 02:21 AM
Bersa
Stoeger
Tanfoglio/Witness
Taurus
Steyr
Arcus
FEG
Daewoo
Kel-Tec

Ben86
September 20, 2008, 03:07 AM
I'd say Ruger first and foremost. Then Taurus, Kel-Tec and Bersa. Sigmas aren't bad if you either like a heavy trigger or get it made lighter.

PT1911
February 28, 2009, 11:29 AM
it is upsetting that steyr only got one mention in this conversation. It is a superior gun to glock in most every way, and clocks in at a much lower price. but then again, if you are looking for a cheap gun, hi-point, jennings, bryco....etc... not that I would be caught dead with one... then again, I probably would.... thats why I wont be getting one.

hometheaterman
February 28, 2009, 01:52 PM
My vote is Ruger because they always seem to have a quality product at a pretty decent prices. Not always the cheapest as sure they are more than a hi point or something like that but they are great guns and still cheaper than many.

Firstshot
February 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
I've been very pleased with my two Bersas.

broken
February 28, 2009, 05:27 PM
3rd generation smith or sigma.

FMJMIKE
March 1, 2009, 08:56 PM
Ruger......Bersa......RIA.............:cool:

feudalson
March 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
s&w sigma 3rd gen...... excellent gun

22lr
March 1, 2009, 09:21 PM
S&W 3rd gens, ya they don't make them anymore but I bought mine for about half a Glock and I out shoot guys with tricked out Glocks (o man thats fun). For a pistol that was built like a tank, I have had 99.6% reliability with mine, better than I dare say 99% of guns out there. At least check one out, they are heavy so take that into consideration but good ones can be had for $400 or lower.

Also the S&W Sigma are good budget guns, I had one loved it but sold it to buy the 5906 and never looked back. Sigma ran well for me but I just kind grew out of the whole plastic gun thing a while back and have since been adding more steel and wood:D.

vector248
March 1, 2009, 09:32 PM
i would take a serious look at Bersa. I have been impressed with their quality.

bensdad
March 1, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm gonna go with Taurus. I got a MilProPT745 before I knew anything about them. It just felt good in my hand, and I knew it would conceal well. I've since heard many people poo-poo them. Well, mine has been great. That's the only one I cared about. It's been so great that I now have a MilProPT140 and a MilProPT111. While some folks keep telling me how bad they suck, I'll keep tipping over the poppers and NOT stopping to clear jams in the middle of strings. At the last steel shoot of the season, the two guns that jammed up REALLY bad - ruined a couple of peoples' stings - were a Glock and a Sig.

I'll confess, the 745 had a couple of jams - but they were on my very first reloads when I was just learning. I can't blame the gun. No problems since, with any of them (less than 400 rds. through the 111, however).

PT1911
March 1, 2009, 11:19 PM
Taurus is a great choice.. I have several of them and will get several others.. I have been more than pleased with all of them as have everyone that I know of who owns one...

Lonestar.45
March 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'd say Ruger, with maybe Rock Island for 1911's.

Personally I think a used police trade in Glock is by far the best value in the semi market. That, and the used S&W 5906's that can be had for under $300 many times.

Bill_Rights
March 2, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm with DZL HOG: The FNP line up typically runs $100-300 less than the big-name competitors and you sacrifice NOTHING in performance and reliabilty.

BikerRN
March 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
Who do you consider to be the best budget semi gun maker?

I am thinking Ruger will dominate with some Bersa mentions

I am defining "budget" as under the costs of Glocks,Springfield XD ect. at least 70 to 100 bucks under those not just a few bucks lol

Thanks

Sorry, but I define a "budget" gun as a Glock. :)

BikerRN

benderx4
March 2, 2009, 09:26 AM
Glock
Ruger
Taurus

CZ (for just a tad more)
SW

SDDL-UP
March 2, 2009, 10:10 AM
If anyone has looked at the price of CZ's lately they are NOT a "budget" gun maker anymore!

HoosierQ
March 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
Buddy of mine has a brand new S&W Sigma 9mm. Got it for about $350 brand new. Loves it, shoots it like twice a week (he's not married yet!), has never had one failure (except when his girlfriend limp-wristed one on her very first time at the firing line), cleans it like his life depended on it and is just about the happiest new gun owner I have ever seen. He's kind of new to handguns and he is just learning the trigger from the get-go.

He loves it so much, I want one even though I don't need that already having a Glock and a 2 M&Ps.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 2, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well Ruger and Taurus really come in under the "semi-budget" label, depending on how you look at it, with their price points.

The best true low budget maker of new auto-pistol is without a doubt Bersa, followed closely by Kel-Tec & Stoeger. But if Taurus were includable in the price range, then the answer would definitely be Taurus. But that's an unfair comparison, as the Tauri cost more.

Rugers are the worst value on the face of the planet. What you get is a good pistol. What you give up to get that is some money and a company who will use YOUR money to work tirelessly to strip you of your gun rights. That's a bad tradeoff in my book (poor value).

sohcgt2
March 2, 2009, 11:10 AM
Glock or Ruger are my concideration for best value. I have no experience with Taurus. I did have a S&W Sigma for a while and really liked it.

PT1911
March 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
I am not sure what world you live in if you think a glock is a "budget" gun.. 5 to 6 hundred dollars for an uncomfortable and outdated gun doesnt fit my definition of budget.

BikerRN
March 3, 2009, 12:20 AM
I am not sure what world you live in if you think a glock is a "budget" gun.. 5 to 6 hundred dollars for an uncomfortable and outdated gun doesnt fit my definition of budget.

In my world the Glock is a "Budget" Gun.

That's my world, but maybe not your's. I like 1911's, High Powers and even own one Block. Of course the Block is always up for trade.

BikerRN

ZO6Vettever
March 3, 2009, 12:20 PM
S&W Sigma, under $350, rugged, reliable, hi cap and "Made in the USA".

Funderb
March 3, 2009, 12:22 PM
bersa, really, I think has a great value for the price.

Deer Hunter
March 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
Bersa.

makarovnik
March 3, 2009, 08:52 PM
Kel-Tec

paradox998
March 4, 2009, 12:12 AM
All in all, Bersa is the best lower end value and CZ is the best midrange value. I have both, can't beat either for the money.

Nomad_NH
March 4, 2009, 12:42 AM
i am by no means a gun expert but Taurus pistols have been good for me and they are well priced.

johnnylaw53
March 4, 2009, 08:15 AM
If you going to use it to defend yourself and your love one there is no such thing as a "budget gun". Nor do you need to spend reallly big money for a trick out pistol. Get what you like keep it for 10 years that way even a $600.00 weapon work out to $5.00 a month surely you and yours are worth that.

be safe

ironvic
March 5, 2009, 02:11 AM
Quote: "The above suggestions are of course good ones, but the first words that came to mind when I saw your post were "police trade-in". If you look around there are many companies carrying various police trade-in pistols that are priced way below the original cost of said guns. You can get a Sig, Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc. for a bargain. My third gen. G22 for example was around $350 as I recall with three factory 15 rounders and night sights. I have owned several such guns through the years and typically found they had seen few rounds. Mostly police pistols are carried and not fired. So if you do not mind some holster wear and perhaps some PD markings, you can get a quality pistol at a good price.

John" (Grayrider)

I totally agree. I have bought police trade-ins at my local gun shop and haven't disliked any of them. I purchased a Sig-P220 .45, Sig P-226 9mm and a Remington 12 gauge 870 police Wingmaster with 18 1/2" barrel and the police walnut furniture. Each weapon was an ex-duty gun that had been lightly used and all had been routinely maintained by department armorers. My 870 looked like something off the set of "Adam-12" and save for the worn bluing on the trigger guard from the patrol car latch, was pristine inside. My gunsmith said it looked brand-new. The pistols shot accurately and never failed. I sold the P-220 to buy a Colt 1911, but still have the P-226 and the 870.

There is a certain amount of holster wear on the pistols, but not objectionable, just honest working-man's guns. The 870 has electric lettering engraved on the receiver showing she belonged to "SPD" with a department serial number.

If you need to buy at bargain pricing, why not get the best? Guns both the public and their defenders relied on to be the best money can buy? Because these weapons served to defend, they have a special place in my rack.

Fishman777
March 5, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ruger or CZ.

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 08:51 PM
Another vote for Bersa!

I love my little 383a....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/Bersa383A-1.jpg

Mike J
March 5, 2009, 09:20 PM
I haven't really owned any of the others but I really like my Ruger

PT1911
March 5, 2009, 09:31 PM
for everyone suggesting glocks and such, the question was budget handgun maker.... that does not mean purchased by a PD, shot, used, then sold at auction, then picked up at a pawn shop somewhere:rolleyes:... best budget handgun MAKER.. as in NEW.... Bersa, kel tec, taurus, sigma fit the bill... GLOCK difinitely does not, and though they are good guns, neither does Springfield, CZ, or Smith and wesson.. ruger has a few exceptions....

gator1gear
March 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
Gotta be Bersa for me! I have a Thunder 45 UC that runs flawlessly! I have put tons of rounds downrange without a SINGLE failure. Gobbles up everything I feed it. I bought the girlfriend a Mini firestorm .40 UC that seems to be the same way. She as sent a little over a thousand rounds down the pipe, no hiccups or bobbles whatsoever. Gotta be the most underrated guns out there.

skeeter_08
March 11, 2009, 02:21 PM
I just saw a Smith & Wesson 910 in matte finish offered for $385.00 online, personally I can't think of a better semi automatic for the money!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Budget Semi Handgun Maker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!