Ramshot "ZIP" Powder

PDA

schmeky
September 17, 2008, 09:45 AM
I use WW231 almost exclusively in 9/40/45 light to medium loads. It meters well and burns very clean in my loads.

Thinking about trying some ZIP and was wondering who is using it and how do you like it? How does it meter? How clean?

Thanx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramshot "ZIP" Powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
September 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
It is a good powder. It is real accurate with powder puff loads in .45. Burns clean enough, meters well. It meters about like W-231 and other small flake powders.

7 yards. 609 FPS Berry's 230 Gr RN. I blew the 5th shot. (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50297&d=1167697005)

Nothing W-231 or a couple of other powders won't do, but Zip is above average when downloaded in the .45, it seemed to me.

D. Manley
September 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
Having been impressed with their other powders (especially, Silhouette in 9MM) Zip's on my next order list. There's more & more shooters having a go at Ramshot's Competition too but they havn't published any handgun data for it to date AFAIK.

Walkalong
September 17, 2008, 08:56 PM
Competition is a good one in .45 too. ;)

I had to work up my own data though.

D. Manley
September 17, 2008, 10:25 PM
"Competition is a good one in .45 too"...

Very nice group. About 4.1 grains or so...?

rbernie
September 17, 2008, 10:26 PM
I like Zip, both for its performance and its economy.

Walkalong
September 18, 2008, 09:37 AM
Very nice group. About 4.1 grains or so...?Target was shot with a load using Zip. I don't remember the charge offhand. More in the area of 4.5 though. (don't use that as data!) (I can check later and PM you about Zip or Competition if you like.) :)

jfh
September 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
I haven't tried Zip yet, but Ramshot's True Blue is the best 38/357 powder I've found in my "short barrel" reloading project.

How about a 1.0-gr. wide "sweet spot?"--and SDs as low as 1.2 (probably a fluke, I agree) without tweaking. Typically, SDs are below twelve.

Jim H.

D. Manley
September 18, 2008, 10:37 PM
"Target was shot with a load using Zip. I don't remember the charge offhand. More in the area of 4.5 though. (don't use that as data!) (I can check later and PM you about Zip or Competition if you like"...

Thanks, I appreciate it. No sweat on the Zip, there's enough load data for it but I'd be interested in anything at all you have and can share on Competition though. I've been collecting a dab of information here & there (its beginning to get a following over at Brian Enos Forums) and will be placing an order very soon for both.

I've been using primarily Clays and Solo-1000 for 230's and VV-N310 & N-320 for 185's. I'd love it if one of them could have the qualities of N-310 at the lower price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramshot "ZIP" Powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!