Maverick 88

PDA

gunflask
September 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
Looking at the maverick 88 at wal-mart, it is a longer barrelled ones I believe like 24". Can I shoot any round through it or does it have their limits i.e. slugs.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maverick 88" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeSpectre
September 17, 2008, 03:37 PM
anything (depending on the choke in the end of the tube).

mr.scott
September 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
as long as it is 3" and under you're golden. At the price point of the 88, there's not going to be a choke with it.

ZeSpectre
September 18, 2008, 06:44 AM
At the price point of the 88, there's not going to be a choke with it.

The longer barreled (28") "88 Field" has a choked barred. It comes with a "Modified" choke installed.

http://www.maverickarms.com/index.html

From their own web page
Slugs may be fired through choke tubes except those with X-Full constrictions or designated "Turkey tubes". Generally, open choke tube constrictions will produce more consistently accurate groups. The "Improved Cylinder" tube is a popular choice for slug shooting.

Mr Bernoulli
September 18, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hey yeah I was unfortunate enough to have that maverick your talking about. When I was a newbie I got the same thing. It only does come with the modified choke in it. I would not reccommend shooting slugs out of this choke if you need to shoot slugs for deer hunting. Atleast go to an improved cyclinder. Get a rifled choke, extended rifled chokes are a good choice for this. This will allow you to shoot sabots rather than foster slugs which will give you better accuracy. This is a great alternative to buying a rifled barrel. In my personal experience, I would go for a rem 870. This is the best pump of all time! It is definately worth paying the extra bit for. Further if you are going to hunt get a supermag 870 so you can shoot them 3 1/2" shells. You wouldn't beleive how good these drop turkey and geese lol. My friend shot 3" at geese untill he saw what my super mag did with 3 1/2". Now he went out and bought a 535 mossberg so he can shoot 3 1/2" More bb's means more hits... I don't have to worry bout chasing them anymore and turkeys don't even flinch... Definately go with a rem though they are just a quality gun. Pretty much everyone here will agree. I would rater have my receiver made of steel with a remington than aluminum with a mossberg... The maverick sounds like a good deal but trust me its not they are just a cheap gun. If you really want to hunt or whatever use you want it for go for quality. If you can and have some friends that have one or both and shoot them before buying and that will help you decide what you like better. You need any more help just send me a message. Good luck!

ZeSpectre
September 18, 2008, 08:48 AM
Well actually I like my maverick 88 just fine. I have the "Field" model and an additional rifled slug barrel and it's been holding up well. Of course I'm not a big shotgunner so it doesn't get used all that much.

If the OP is thinking about a shotgunning sport (vs say one season a year hunting) then I would probably say that the OP should consider a slightly higher end gun but for seasonal hunting and occasional use an 88 is a fine shotgun.

auschip
September 18, 2008, 08:59 AM
I own a Mav88 and it works great for duck & goose hunting (mine came with a 28 inch barrel). I'm sure I could shoot slugs out of it in a pinch, but haven't had the need to do it.

foghornl
September 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
My Maverick 88 (1990 vintage) came with a 28" fixed modified choke. Serious Thumper on both ends using slugs.

A bit less "Thump" on shooter's end with the 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel, and actually more accurate with the non-sabot slugs than the mod choke.

Mr Bernoulli
September 18, 2008, 06:05 PM
exactly if you want a gun just to play with fine but if your going to hunt and you want something dependable get the rem...

wnycollector
September 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
I picked up a 20" 8 shot maverick 88 last fall. I just pased the 1000 round mark w/ it. Thus far it has been flawless. For less than $200, it is a solid shotgun.

auschip
September 18, 2008, 07:58 PM
exactly if you want a gun just to play with fine but if your going to hunt and you want something dependable get the rem...

Mine has been 100% dependable.

kcshooter
September 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
Pretty much everyone here will agree. I would rater have my receiver made of steel with a remington than aluminum with a mossberg... The maverick sounds like a good deal but trust me its not they are just a cheap gun.I don't think that everyone would agree at all. I think both of these guns are of very high quality, the Maverick/Mossberg is not a cheap gun.
I have Mossbergs, a Maverick, and a Remington, and actual prefer the Mossbergs over the Remingtons. The Mavericks, at that price, are most likely the best deal out there. exactly if you want a gun just to play with fine but if your going to hunt and you want something dependable get the rem...My Maverick was one of my first shotguns and has seen well over 3000 rounds. I haven't had any dependability issues at all. Granted, there isn't a lot of blueing left on the magazine tube where it's been worn off, but that's a good thing to see in my book. I also have a Mossberg 500 with nearly twice that many rounds. I haven't had the Remington long enough to get that kinds of round count, but I don't see how most people would ever be able to wear out any of these. Most people I know have less than 500 rounds out of their guns.

My Maverick is also my pump field gun. I have the 28" interchangable choke barrel it came with plus a 18" for HD. Changes take about a minute. It's actually the one I keep closest to me when I'm in bed. I have 18-20" barrel shotguns in 5 different places in my house, no reason any one is any place special, this just happens to be the first one I'd grab in the middle of the night. I have no doubt as to it's ability to perform.

RaisedByWolves
September 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
"I would rater have my receiver made of steel with a remington than aluminum with a mossberg... "

Why?

Would you rather have steel wheels on your truck VS Aluminum?

My 590A1 has the same Aluminum reciever as the Maveric 88 and the Marines who carry them (590A1) havent been able to find much fault with it. If the aluminum reciever can handle going to war, it can handle you shooting birdies.:rolleyes:

texastony
September 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have the Maverick 88 Field with the 28 inch tube. Also installed the ATK collapsible stock and the 18.5 incher for HD. I love that thing.

Pretty stout with 000 buck or Brenneke TKO slugs, but it sure gets the attention at the 50 yard range. People look at you like your nuts. Something about the sound of slugs. And those holes in the paper are FRIGGIN HUGE!!!!

TeamPrecisionIT
September 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
Looking at the maverick 88 at wal-mart, it is a longer barrelled ones I believe like 24". Can I shoot any round through it or does it have their limits i.e. slugs.
Thanks.

To answer the OP, you have no limit on the 'type' of shells through it (i.e. - slugs, #__ shot, flechettes, etc), but you do have a limit on size and it should be 2 3/4" and 3" shells if my memory serves me right.

Damian

9x19sig
September 19, 2008, 06:48 PM
Just as a note, the Remington *HAS* to have a steel receiver as the bolt locks into the receiver. The Mossberg and Maverick have an aluminum receiver because it essentially is a cover plate for the moving parts and takes no stress when fired. The bolt on the Mossberg and Maverick locks into the barrel.

Some people just don't understand so of course they assume that the Remington is stronger because it has a big heavy receiver.

ndh87
September 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
The first shotgun i bought was a maverick. It is my current "beater" gun. I have fed it every kind of round i could lay my hands on. It was in my truck when i rolled it into a muddy creek. It has spent countless hours behind the seat of my truck. It has been abused and neglected (not terribly, but its far from a safe queen) and it has never failed once. I recently repainted the stock with Krylon Fusion desert tan. looks pretty good actually.

Oh, and the times i used it shooting sporting clays i think i made a few guys with $$$$ dollar Benellis cry because i shot better than they did.

arjppj
September 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
My 88 came with a mod, imp, and full chokes??? Hmm, maybe i got reallllly lucky. Get some ported choke tubes and with buckshot it makes a nice tight pattern.

Frog48
September 21, 2008, 08:19 PM
I have two Maverick 88's. One bought in 2005 (field model), the other in 2008 (security model). I havent had a problem with either of them, and I trust them to be totally reliable. I have hunted quite a bit with the field model, and the security model is kept beside the bed.

32 Magnum
September 21, 2008, 09:21 PM
"I picked up a 20" 8 shot maverick 88 last fall. I just pased the 1000 round mark w/ it. Thus far it has been flawless. For less than $200, it is a solid shotgun."

How far beyond the muzzle does the magazine tube extend on an 8 shot with a 20" barrel? If loading only with 2 3/4" shells, the tube would have to be 22 inches just for the shells, not counting the space for the compressed spring and follower. If shooting 3", hell, that's 24" plus spring and spacer. I've never seen a Maverick with a mag tube extending over 4" beyond the muzzle? What gives here?????
From the couple dozen Mavericks we've gotten in the shop - I can see why they're lower in cost than the M500 they closely resemble.

kcshooter
September 21, 2008, 09:24 PM
How far beyond the muzzle does the magazine tube extend on an 8 shot with a 20" barrel? Nope, my 8-shot mossberg magazine tube is even to the 20" barrel. As they always are, those specs are for standard 2 3/4 shells. And yes, that's 8 in the tube. My 590 is 8+1 with a 20" barrel, my 500's are 7+1 with a 20" barrel, and the 18.5" barreled ones are 5+1. My 88 is the 5+1 model, and I think the higher-cap ones are 7+1, but don't think they can't do a 20" barrel with an 8-shot mag.

Check the Mossberg website under "special purpose".

From the couple dozen Mavericks we've gotten in the shop - I can see why they're lower in cost than the M500 they closely resemble.Why?

novaDAK
September 23, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have a 20" model, that has a cylinder bore, no threads. I added a pistol grip stock, barrel clamp (to add sling swivel) and sling. Great gun all around.

wnycollector
September 23, 2008, 08:16 PM
My Maverick is 7+1 w/ the 20" barrel, just like the mossy 500.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maverick 88" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!